FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/06/2023 12:29 PM  #1

TKX Neutral Safety Switch?

My TKX trans came with a Neutral Safety Switch, do I need to connect it? The manual says that the pigtail is an "open circuit" until the trans is in neutral, so what happens if I decide not to use it?  My Painless harness includes wire to run from the ignition to the NSS.  If I don't use the NSS, should I delete that wire from the harness?  If I do use the NSS, for whatever reason, I've read that it needs to run through a relay before the starter relay switch.  My thinking is all this may turn out to be an electrical gremlin come startup time, any input is greatly appreciated. 
TIA

12/06/2023 1:52 PM  #2

Re: TKX Neutral Safety Switch?

Personally if I had a choice between a neutral switch in the trans or a switch on the clutch pedal I'd choose the later.  Its good to have one or the other though so you can't accidentally start the car in gear without the clutch in. 

I would guess that they include that switch because the TKX is now Tremec's go to 5 speed swap trans, which means guys are likely going to put them in some applications which has a neutral switch from the factory (like Fox Mustangs). 

As to where the wire goes, that depends on the way the harness is configured.  If I were to design it from scratch I would use the switch to switch ground, not power.  That's how most of the switching in modern cars works.  It also doesn't require as much heavy gauge wire.  If I had a diagram for the Painless harness I could tell you exactly how to wire it, but without that I'm limited to just being able to give you general advice.  The wire for the NSS is probably intended for use in cars with either an automatic or a stick, and if its a stick it probably becomes a clutch pedal switch.  When I converted my '86 IROC from auto to manual I looked at the diagrams for both and that was the difference from the factory, so I rerouted that wire through the clutch switch.  It was a heavy gauge yellow wire as I recall (probably hot all the time based on the color), and it may have gone directly to power the ignition switch after the switch, but I'm going back 20+ years now and am not 100% certain of that. 

12/06/2023 2:47 PM  #3

Thanks for your input.  I guess I should have mentioned the trans is going in a 65 Mustang so no electric switch on the clutch.  I found a pretty good video on MDL’s website with a diagram.  Painless doesn’t give much more info other than to hookup wire #919 to NSS. Does this wiring look correct? I have a universal relay to rune it through. 

12/06/2023 3:17 PM  #4

Yes, given the option that's how I would wire it.  The switch just grounds the relay enabling the ignition switch to power the solenoid and spin the starter. 

Just be mindful it will start without the clutch pushed in provided its in neutral.  If the trans get banged into gear accidentally, etc. it could move.  I'm probably overly paranoid about that stuff because my youngest almost started my tractor when he was 3.  I never used to take the key out of it prior to that. 

12/06/2023 3:21 PM  #5

Excellent! Thanks again. 

12/06/2023 3:46 PM  #6

I edited your picture Mark to clarify the wiring as TKO mentioned.

The “neutral” switch on the T5 was used only for the ECM for neutral indication.
I have read of many failures due to running full start solenoid current through this switch.

The actual “neutral safety switch” on the Foxbody Mustang was actually 2 switches under the dash…one for ECM (parallel to the transmission neutral indicator switch) and one for start circuit (start solenoid).

Just wanted to prevent someone else reading this from getting corn fused.
Sounds like a nice upgrade.

12/06/2023 4:02 PM  #7

I would not connect the transmission neutral safety switch by itself unless you are fine with only being able to start the car with the transmission in Neutral.  I've had cars in the past that could be started with either the clutch pressed in OR the transmission in Neutral (with or without the clutch pressed in).  If I were going to connect the neutral safety switch, then I would pair it with a clutch pedal switch to function as explained above.

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

12/06/2023 4:04 PM  #8

Nos681 wrote:

The “neutral” switch on the T5 was used only for the ECM for neutral indication.
I have read of many failures due to running full start solenoid current through this switch.

The actual “neutral safety switch” on the Foxbody Mustang was actually 2 switches under the dash…one for ECM (parallel to the transmission neutral indicator switch) and one for start circuit (start solenoid).

Whats the box where the 4 wires are connected too?

12/06/2023 4:16 PM  #9

That box is drawn as a relay.  It will only allow current from the Ignition switch Run position to pass current to the solenoid if the neutral safety switch is grounded.

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

12/06/2023 6:07 PM  #10

Can’t figure out how to respond to individual posts but thanks for all the advice.

NOS681- good catch on the wires from the NSS. The switch does have separate  power and ground and when you watch the actual video from Modern Driveline  it does address both connections. 

Now, if one wanted to add a safety switch to the clutch pedal on a vintage mustang, is there a switch that can be retrofitted to the pedal somehow? And how would it wire? Would the power go from the ignition switch to the clutch switch to the starter solenoid bypassing the NSS on the trans?

12/06/2023 6:38 PM  #11

What is the state of your car before the installation of the TKX?  Is it already a manual car?  If so, does it require you to depress the clutch pedal and/or have your current transmission in Neutral in order to crank the engine?

12/06/2023 6:52 PM  #12

My car is a 65 Fastback with standard clutch pedal assembly. I have a Blueprint 302 crate engine package with TKX trans sitting in the corner of the garage. I’m trying to find a body shop in the Phoenix area to finish body and paint before dropping the engine in. In the meantime I’m working on getting the Painless harness finished up. So, to answer your question, it is not set up for a neutral safety or clutch safety switch.

12/06/2023 6:54 PM  #13

I converted my car from a C4 to a T5.  I just bypassed the neutral safety switch by adding a jumper to the wiring harness.  Unless you feel you need it, this is what I would do with your car.

12/06/2023 7:45 PM  #14

True story: About a year ago I was on a first date and we took the Mustang up the coast. I put the battery on a battery charger until the charger showed full charge. Stopped for fuel and the battery had just enough juice to turn the engine over, but not enough for a hot start. Asked the date "Can you drive a stick" "It's been a long time." 

Tell the date she is pushing and push she does, but she only had enough "Oomph" for a slow roll. I let the clutch out and hit the starter at the same time, and to my relief, the car started. Car would not have started with just the date's efforts. Drove home and determined the battery was dead. Still with the date.

I have used this technique several times over the years, especially when I am the only one pushing. My two cents: Unless you really have to have it, you might consider bypassing any starter interlock device on these cars and develop a habit of finding neutral before you start the car.

Last edited by boss347convertible (12/06/2023 7:45 PM)

12/06/2023 7:46 PM  #15

Steve69 wrote:

Nos681 wrote:

Whats the box where the 4 wires are connected too?

Relay.

Conversion from C4 to T5, I installed a jumper as well.

12/06/2023 8:01 PM  #16

I’m 67 years old. Never had a car with neutral safety and really don’t NEED it now. Looks like I’m going to by-pass the switch…thanks for all of your suggestions.

12/06/2023 8:08 PM  #17

...as they say in the old Westerns    
Yep

12/06/2023 8:31 PM  #18

Mark in CA wrote:

I’m 67 years old. Never had a car with neutral safety and really don’t NEED it now. Looks like I’m going to by-pass the switch….

Good on ya Mark of Ga/Ca...
I was just "fix'in" (that's southern-tawk y'all)  to light everybody up!!
Out of my 60 years behind the wheel I have most always cranked the engine when out-of-gear or with the clutch depressed. THAT is part of driving a standard shift/manual trans. DUH
WHY open your self up for more issues of failure or stuff-that-happens by installing an electrical
"SAFETY" switch in case someone goes STUPID and cranks an engine while in gear and is
SOOO klutzy they continue to crank it over until they hit something or run over six pedestrian and kill them ALL ! Don't we already have TOOO much government 'do-gooder crude' in our lives now ?!
For gosh sake guys..... man-up & pay attention and enjoy a vehicle that was made for people smart enough to operate them !
SAFETY SWITCH MY FANNY !!! GOOD GRIEF
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

12/06/2023 10:05 PM  #19

Well said Sal.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

12/07/2023 6:08 AM  #20

Mark in CA wrote:

Can’t figure out how to respond to individual posts but thanks for all the advice.

NOS681- good catch on the wires from the NSS. The switch does have separate  power and ground and when you watch the actual video from Modern Driveline  it does address both connections. 

Now, if one wanted to add a safety switch to the clutch pedal on a vintage mustang, is there a switch that can be retrofitted to the pedal somehow? And how would it wire? Would the power go from the ignition switch to the clutch switch to the starter solenoid bypassing the NSS on the trans?

To respond to a particular post just click the blue "quote" icon at the bottom right of that post.  The post to which you are responding will appear first in quotes, and then you can reply.  It does help reduce confusion.

A lot of good points were made.  If you don't want to use the NSS just ground the relay and don't connect anything to the switch.  It won't do anything except plug the hole its in.  Then run the NSS wire to wherever it was supposed to go after the NSS. 

I still like having a clutch pedal switch, but I do see the point about a roll start.  My FJ Cruiser has a bypass switch for the clutch pedal switch to allow this.  It adds even more complexity though, but just thought I'd put it out there as an option. 

12/07/2023 7:19 AM  #21

This thread contained the first weak battery assisted slow roll bump start that I've ever heard of.  In my years of cars and motorcycles I've done my share of clutch pop engine starts and I always used enough roll speed to fire the engine.  Not once did it ever occur to me to attempt to use the weak battery to assist. Hmmmm.
I don't actually remember the first time I would have done this but it would have been with my Dad before I reached driving age at 15.  So guessing I was at least 12 year old then, that would put my years count in the driver's seat at 50.  And continuing pointless trivia, that first car would have been a 1961 Rambler Classic.

12/07/2023 9:43 AM  #22

Yea the slow roll key start saved my but a few times.

Been driving stick all my life. There were times when I didn't have a vehicle with an auto in my driveway. Up to about ten or twelve years ago, I always had at least 1 of my main vehicles with a stick. (Last was a 04 Fusion) Agree with Sal, just habit pushing in the clutch before starting. There were times when I was in a automatic I'd catch myself reaching for a clutch.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

12/07/2023 10:45 AM  #23

TKOPerformance wrote:

Mark in CA wrote:

To respond to a particular post just click the blue "quote" icon at the bottom right of that post.  The post to which you are responding will appear first in quotes, and then you can reply.  It does help reduce confusion.

A lot of good points were made.  If you don't want to use the NSS just ground the relay and don't connect anything to the switch.  It won't do anything except plug the hole its in.  Then run the NSS wire to wherever it was supposed to go after the NSS. 

I still like having a clutch pedal switch, but I do see the point about a roll start.  My FJ Cruiser has a bypass switch for the clutch pedal switch to allow this.  It adds even more complexity though, but just thought I'd put it out there as an option. 

Thanks for the tip on responding to individual posts.
Instead of wiring anything at all, can’t I just disconnect that NSS wire from the back of the ignition switch and eliminate that wire from the harness altogether? 

12/07/2023 11:59 AM  #24

I'll add my 2-cents:
The neutral switch will not allow the car to start unless the trans is in neutral. (doesn't matter if the clutch pedal is depressed, or not)
The clutch switch will not allow the car the start unless the clutch pedal is depressed. (doesn't matter if the trans is in neutral or not).
IMO - Having both a clutch switch and a neutral switch wiring in is like wearing 'belts and suspenders".
I'm not sure a relay is needed, I suggest asking Tremec.
If you're not going to utilize the neutral switch, you'll need to verify the the 'start' wire from the ignition switch is continuous to the start solenoid.  The neutral switch would go in 'series' with the start wire.  The neutral switch has a closed contact only when the trans is in neutral.  If not used, you'll likely have to connect the two wires for the neutral switch. 

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

12/07/2023 3:02 PM  #25

Mark in CA wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

Mark in CA wrote:

Thanks for the tip on responding to individual posts.
Instead of wiring anything at all, can’t I just disconnect that NSS wire from the back of the ignition switch and eliminate that wire from the harness altogether? 

I couldn't answer that without a schematic or diagram, but my guess is no.  That wire's either got to have ground or power (depending on how it works). 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.