FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/24/2023 9:24 PM  #1

Faster wiper motor?

I’ve had my Mustang for many years. It was my daily driver and as time has moved on it has become maybe at best a one day every other month driver. The last time I drove it the wiper was real slow. I don’t remember how fast they should move but it would be nice if they went faster like my trucks. A while back I took it apart and cleaned and lubed it to no avail. My question is will a more modern day wiper fit 70?   

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

12/25/2023 9:31 AM  #2

Re: Faster wiper motor?

Merry Christmas!

Do you have the 2 speed motor? (4 wires)
Do you have intermittent (delay) wipers?

With the motor disconnected, what is the voltage at the motor connection?
Check high speed and low speed.

12/25/2023 10:32 AM  #3

I replaced my 66 wiper motor with a rebuilt 69 motor. It really sped things up.  I added a intermittent switch from a 79 F100 and that is one of the best mods I ever made.

Do you have a 3g alternator?  The extra voltage helps speed things up.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

12/25/2023 10:59 AM  #4

Ditto the above. The  intermittent wiper is truly one of the best mods you can do.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

12/25/2023 1:54 PM  #5

I have the factory two speed wiper motor and installed a variable intermittent system from a late 70`s pickup several years ago. It worked great going home from Ft Walton beach when the hurricane came thru but it was beginning to slow down then. I didn’t install the G3 alternator till after we got home. Now it is real slow.

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

12/26/2023 8:02 AM  #6

Sounds like a voltage issue. As Dan has suggested, check voltage with the motor disconnected, then check with the motor connected and operating.  I suspect crappy/dirty/corroded connection (s) somewhere.  Maybe at the firewall where cabin power comes in.  You can run a hot jumper directly from the battery to the motor and see it works better, then you'll know if it's related to a poor connection.

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

12/26/2023 10:13 AM  #7

Bullet Bob wrote:

Sounds like a voltage issue. As Dan has suggested, check voltage with the motor disconnected, then check with the motor connected and operating.  I suspect crappy/dirty/corroded connection (s) somewhere.  Maybe at the firewall where cabin power comes in.  You can run a hot jumper directly from the battery to the motor and see it works better, then you'll know if it's related to a poor connection.

Ditto BB's response.  You may want to try one of the products offered from Deoxit, I've it on many of the OEM connections on my 65 with success. I have "Deoxit, #5L-25CA (5% Solution)".  (That cost a lot less when I purchased many years ago)
https://caig.com/deoxit-d-series/

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

12/26/2023 7:51 PM  #8

Saw this. Also have for other years. Kind of pricey

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

12/27/2023 8:51 AM  #9

MS - "kind of pricy" is right. 

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

12/27/2023 9:15 AM  #10

Sometimes the simple answer is the correct answer.  Perhaps your existing wiper motor is just having issues.  Otherwise, your wiring could have excess resistance somewhere and so isn't passing enough current.  That said, better wipers is a good thing if you decide to upgrade.

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

12/27/2023 5:22 PM  #11

BobE wrote:

Bullet Bob wrote:

Ditto BB's response.  You may want to try one of the products offered from Deoxit, I've it on many of the OEM connections on my 65 with success. I have "Deoxit, #5L-25CA (5% Solution)".  (That cost a lot less when I purchased many years ago)
https://caig.com/deoxit-d-series/

I don't think measuring the voltage with the motor disconnected will tell you anything. Even if there is a bad connection prior to the motor, with the motor unplugged it will show full voltage. This could make you falsely think there is not a problem.  Voltage reading near the motor with the motor connected and running should be near full voltage. I like Bob's idea of a jumper from battery to the wiper motor. If it works full speed then you probably have a bad connection in your wiring. If it still runs slow then either a bad motor as Rufus said or bad ground. 

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.