FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/04/2024 2:18 PM  #1

Install 67 battery apron into 65/66 Mustang

Has anyone welded in a 1967 Mustang battery apron into a 65/66 Mustang?
I want to install the 67 battery apron to turn the battery so I can install to 67-70 24 inch radiator. 
Looking for advice and pictures.  Thanks

66 Mustang coupe 289 auto

1/04/2024 3:11 PM  #2

Re: Install 67 battery apron into 65/66 Mustang

There used to be a hybrid tray that put a 67 style tray into the 66.   You might want to look for that.

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

1/04/2024 4:05 PM  #3

I installed a 67 tray in my 65 convertible. It was pretty simple. Hardest part was accessing the nuts on the bolts at the forward end of the wheel well. I put a pair of vice grips on the nuts and spun the bolts off. Why weld it? It wasn't that hard to install.  https://www.cjponyparts.com/battery-tray-for-use-with-1967-style-hold-down-clamp-mustang/p/M3535A/

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

1/04/2024 4:59 PM  #4

I think I am the originator of the idea. I welded a 65-66 brace to a 67 tray and bolted it in place.  Then the repro sheetmetal companies copied the idea and started selling them.
That is how it is done but not really necessary unless you want the 67’s factory hold down rods to work with it.
To get the 24” radiator to fit in a 65-66, you can simply trim off the useless extra part of the 65-66 tray where the original battery hold-down clamp bolted on. If you plan the job out, leave a little extra metal to dolly vertically to re-form the vertical edge you just cut off, then grind it smooth with a flapper wheel, you can make the modification virtually undetectable. Then weld on a bracket for the hold-down rods.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

1/04/2024 5:03 PM  #5

This pic shows 65 with trimmed battery tray. It just has the 20” radiator mod, but same trim job fits the 24” radiator.

1/04/2024 5:13 PM  #6

This shows 67/66 hybrid tray with 24” radiator

1/04/2024 5:28 PM  #7

Ron I read your tray post and like that idea

Steve, thanks for all the photos. They help a lot. The battery in your pic looks smaller than a 24F. My rusted out battery apron needs to be replaced.  My thought was just weld in the 67 battery apron and use the 67 tray as well. This will be for servicing the car and not permanent.
  Long term goal is installing battery in the trunk using Ford Tempo Diesel battery cable parts. These cars had the battery in the trunk.  This is a junk yard find.

1/04/2024 5:47 PM  #8

Todd5.0 wrote:

Ron I read your tray post and like that idea

Steve, thanks for all the photos. They help a lot. The battery in your pic looks smaller than a 24F. My rusted out battery apron needs to be replaced. My thought was just weld in the 67 battery apron and use the 67 tray as well. This will be for servicing the car and not permanent.
Long term goal is installing battery in the trunk using Ford Tempo Diesel battery cable parts. These cars had the battery in the trunk. This is a junk yard find.

In re-reading your original post, I see that you are wanting to install a 24" radiator. My install was with a stock radiator, so MS's suggestion may be more applicable to your install.

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

1/04/2024 7:49 PM  #9

The optima battery, or one with similar rounded corners, is necessary in order to get the battery in and out of the space. You can use a squared battery, but will have to undo the two upper radiator clamp bolts and slide the radiator to the driver side about an inch to get it in/out.  No big deal, but the rounded Optima eliminates that issue.

CJ Pony sells a version of the one I designed for not much more than a stock tray, so that is the easiest way to go.

1/05/2024 4:54 PM  #10

I have been using an H5 size battery since 2018.
Just another suggestion for a smaller battery.
H6 size might fit, not verified.

1/05/2024 5:12 PM  #11

This web page has a nice pair of tables for battery dimensions:
https://batterygroupexpert.com/battery-group-size-chart-and-cross-reference-table/

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

1/05/2024 6:13 PM  #12

Those are nice charts Rufus.

I would also suggest a size that is common to find too.
The H5/Group 47 is common in modern cars like Mini’Coopers and VW’s.

If you select a battery in the charts, it shows additional info and comparable sized replacements…if any.

Last edited by Nos681 (1/05/2024 6:22 PM)

1/06/2024 10:04 AM  #13

The 24F battery fits in there fine, but you just can’t turn it easily to get it in or out.
That said, if you want to try a different size battery, try it before you buy it.
Apparently there are lots more options now than when  I did this way back when.

1/15/2024 12:57 PM  #14

Thanks for all the suggestions.  The easiest method for me, would be to buy the CJ Pony Parts PN M3535A for $20.  Cut it apart and weld the mounting bracket to the long length of the tray and then bolt it in to the factory 66 style battery apron. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.