FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/08/2024 9:31 PM  #1

Suspension component?

What is this inside orange box?

Where to find?

Appears to be a strut.

1/08/2024 10:56 PM  #2

Re: Suspension component?

I think that's called a camber plate .... maybe.

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

1/09/2024 6:50 AM  #3

On our  Exploder that has a bearing in it that was prone to going out. First set lasted about, 40,000 second set about 20,000. Last set they must have figured something out. They have lasted quite awhile

67 Coupe, 5.0 EEC IV Fuel injected. T5, 3:70 rear

1/09/2024 7:08 AM  #4

Sometimes called a pillow block or ball, or a strut bearing, strut hat, strut top, etc.

The slotted holes are for adjusting camber and possibly caster if there's adjustment on the lower portion that we can't see. 

1/09/2024 9:21 AM  #5

I used to call it a strut mounting plate or a strut bearing retainer plate.

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

1/09/2024 10:00 AM  #6

Thanks guys.

I was thinking camber plate.

Good to know the other terms as well.

1/09/2024 10:19 AM  #7

The fun part of Lt Dan's questions is trying to finger out why he wants the information, and what he's going to use it for.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

1/09/2024 2:56 PM  #8

Wasn’t that enough of a clue? 😂

I was looking at shocks and struts.

Modern cars use struts to support the weight of the car or SUV.

Could a strut support bearing be used on the forward mount of the first generation Mustang?

Not all are designed the same.
Some appear to have a mono ball/ uni ball/ rod bearing type assembly.

I recall someone manufacturing something like that for the Mustang.

I looked at a couple of websites that have large versions for trophy truck suspensions…even have a Mil Spec and the price to go with it too.

BMW’s have used supports in many of the early model cars to about ‘95.

I slow down in winter…unfortunately my mind doesn’t.

1/10/2024 9:12 AM  #9

I believe several suspension venders offer a strut replacement for the 65-70 Mustangs, 'Global West' is one. 

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

1/10/2024 2:05 PM  #10

Nos681 wrote:

Wasn’t that enough of a clue? 😂

I was looking at shocks and struts.

Modern cars use struts to support the weight of the car or SUV.

Could a strut support bearing be used on the forward mount of the first generation Mustang?

Not all are designed the same.
Some appear to have a mono ball/ uni ball/ rod bearing type assembly.

I recall someone manufacturing something like that for the Mustang.

I looked at a couple of websites that have large versions for trophy truck suspensions…even have a Mil Spec and the price to go with it too.

BMW’s have used supports in many of the early model cars to about ‘95.

I slow down in winter…unfortunately my mind doesn’t.

If you are talking about the strut rod bushing then I would say no.  A strut bearing has to allow the strut to rotate when the wheels are turned (the whole strut spins, not just the spindle like on an early Mustang.  The strut rod by contrast moves up and down as the suspension cycles.  Having a bearing there would be a liability IMO.  Its meant to have a bushing. 

1/10/2024 6:10 PM  #11

Not all struts use a bushing in this location.
I have seen struts with a bearing so it can pivot.
Perhaps I'm wrong.

Are there any factory struts that use a bearing in this location?
I would suspect a rear strut.
No turning required, just suspension arc travel.

Last edited by Nos681 (1/10/2024 6:39 PM)

1/11/2024 6:48 AM  #12

Yes, cars factory equipped with struts sometimes use bearings.  I thought you were asking if you could use the bearing for the factory strut rods on an early Mustang. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.