FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/08/2024 12:03 PM  #1

front disc brakes

Greetings:
               1965 vert 289/c4.
Looking for the best front brake upgrade. Don't think I need power brakes, but thinking of the kelsey hayes w/red pads.
There are so many choices.
I've looked at CJ and leeds, but recently found this site.
Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanx

2/08/2024 1:33 PM  #2

Re: front disc brakes

The K-H brakes work just fine.  I used mine for around 400,000 miles with no problems.  With them there is no problem using anywhere from 14" wheels up with no clearance problems.  Several aftermarket companies have kits that use them, so it is easy to find parts.  Manual brakes also are good to use.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

2/08/2024 3:56 PM  #3

Hi Herb, welcome .

Contact Dan at chockostangclassicmustang.com.
He sells complete ready to install new K-H front disk brake set ups.
He is a Ford only guru and very well respected  in the community, I have dealt with him on numerous transactions and  more than pleased with his services.

Last edited by Rudi (2/08/2024 3:57 PM)

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

2/08/2024 8:54 PM  #4

Go to the CSRP disc brake swap website. I just bought yesterday a Kelsey Hayes type kit for my 65 convertible. Much cheaper than chockostang or Leeds or CJ Pony. I have installed several of these CSRP kits and they include everything needed. I know Dennis, the owner and he takes a personal interest to inspect and make sure his parts are top notch.
Under $700 for the kit with manual brake master cylinder. Tell hm Steve sent you.

Of course, if you want bigger brakes and are running at least 17” wheels, MustangSteve has what you need.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

2/08/2024 9:26 PM  #5

2/09/2024 10:42 AM  #6

Welcome to the site Herb. Got any pitchers of your 65 vert?

Last edited by RPM, aka Bearing Bob (2/10/2024 8:02 PM)

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

2/10/2024 8:16 AM  #7

Rudi wrote:

Contact Dan at chockostangclassicmustang.com.
He sells complete ready to install new K-H front disk brake set ups.
He is a Ford only guru and very well respected in the community, I have dealt with him on numerous transactions and more than pleased with his services.

Just adding for information - Dan (Chock) winters in Florida.  He'll be back in his home office around the first of March.  He does take phone calls, although you may have to leave a message.

Welcome to the MustangSteve Forum!

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

2/10/2024 10:46 AM  #8

RPM, aka Bearing Bob wrote:

Welcome to the site Herb. Hit any pitchers of your 65 vert?

????  water . . . baseball . . . S&M . . .  ?????

2/10/2024 1:20 PM  #9

Thank you all
MS- I was just looking at that website, but didn't know anyone who has done business with them!  Thanx for the referral.
I have been buying parts off CJ, but unless you get a sale, they can be a bit pricy.
I'm upgrading from 14" wheels to 15". I have a nice set of 15X6 rims.
What's the largest tire I can use? I'll do the front end over next year This year I want to do the brakes and drive it a bit and see how it runs.
I'll see if I can figure out how to post pics here.
TY

Last edited by Herb55 (2/10/2024 1:24 PM)

2/10/2024 1:28 PM  #10

2/10/2024 2:41 PM  #11

One other question. I have a coupe console that I need to restore. It needs everything plus needs to be trimmed for a vert. Should I look for the individual pieces, or buy a complete kit?
Thanx

2/10/2024 3:20 PM  #12

Herb55 wrote:

Thank you all
MS- I was just looking at that website, but didn't know anyone who has done business with them!  Thanx for the referral.
I have been buying parts off CJ, but unless you get a sale, they can be a bit pricy.
What's the largest tire I can use? I'll do the front end over next year This year I want to do the brakes and drive it a bit and see how it runs.
TY

Whenever I need a part I open up NPD and C J Pony Parts on separate pages and compare the two for price and quality on the same parts. It's a toss up sometimes. I also check eBay and a local Mustang supply shop too.

Last edited by Ron68 (2/10/2024 3:21 PM)

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

2/10/2024 4:27 PM  #13

When I was the owner of MustangSteve, I always recommended the CSRP brakes when someone wanted to use smaller than 17” wheels. I brokered and installed many sets of CSRP brakes.
I see that MustangSteve now sells the CSRP brake kits, but at a higher price than you can purchase them from CSRP.
TIRE SIZE IS SUBJECT TO YOUR OPINION of what you want. My 65 vert has 215x60/15 on 15x7 and fits perfect. I would recommend using 7” wheel with 4.25” backspacing for best fit.
Those brakes will work with 14” wheels, but not all original 14” Mustang wheels are capable of fitting the stock disc brakes.

2/10/2024 10:50 PM  #14

Herb55 wrote:

Thank you all
TY

225-60's work very well.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

2/11/2024 8:02 AM  #15

Herb55 wrote:

Thank you all
TY

I also have 225/60-15 tires, front & rear.  Suggest that you check the backspacing of those 15x6 rims you have.  My wheels are 15x7", with 3.75" BS, and I have no issues with tire rub. 

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

2/11/2024 6:19 PM  #16

That 7” with 3.75 bs usually is problematic.

2/12/2024 2:13 AM  #17

Maybe this will help

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

2/12/2024 8:51 AM  #18

MS wrote:

That 7” with 3.75 bs usually is problematic.

Now that you say that, I did roll the fender lip on the front fenders, but don't remember if it was out of caution, or if the tires actually did rub.  The 225/60-15 tires are BF Goodrich. 

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

2/12/2024 9:02 AM  #19

Welcome to the Site.

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

2/16/2024 10:25 AM  #20

I installed CSRP brakes but did the power booster. I would recommend staying away from the booster option. Never could get a firm pedal. Took my car to a couple of mechanics who also weren’t able to fix the issue. Removed the booster and MC and put in a Maverick manual MC and the problem was solved.  

Allen

2/18/2024 10:01 AM  #21

DrVett wrote:

I installed CSRP brakes but did the power booster. I would recommend staying away from the booster option. Never could get a firm pedal. Took my car to a couple of mechanics who also weren’t able to fix the issue. Removed the booster and MC and put in a Maverick manual MC and the problem was solved.  

Allen

When I installed CSRP brakes, I would not use the CSRP booster. Instead I used the MustangSteve booster and then everything worked as it should.
I am actually working on a new-design pedal ratio modification for the 65-66 that should be an improvement over my original design from 20+ years ago.

2/18/2024 2:41 PM  #22

IIABDFI

2/18/2024 3:01 PM  #23

Nos681 wrote:

IIABDFI

.????🧐

2/18/2024 5:30 PM  #24

Rudi wrote:

Nos681 wrote:

IIABDFI

.????🧐

Dan... we're waiting...

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

2/19/2024 10:33 AM  #25

I think he was stating the previous/current MustangSteve system works just fine…

But, I have had this improvement in my brain for twenty years and, now that I have a 65 Mustang needing power brakes available, this is the time to do it.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.