FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/10/2024 8:10 PM  #1

dash cluster swap

I have a chance to get a nice looking dash cluster (5 hole complete 50.00. can I swap it out with my stock 65 or do I or will I need other stuff to make work. The gas and temp ar all I use as I have full set of gauges

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

2/10/2024 11:00 PM  #2

Re: dash cluster swap

It will work fine, especially if AMP gauge not needed. Typically requires trimming the dash above the steering column to clear the larger speedo.
I have one for my 65 I will be converting after my back surgery.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

2/11/2024 12:45 AM  #3

MS - back surgery again? Well, I hope that it will be the final fix and it won't be bothering you anymore. When do you plan on having it done?

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

2/11/2024 1:42 AM  #4

Can the amp be replaced behind the face with a aftermarket volt?

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

2/11/2024 8:09 AM  #5

I used a 66 dash in my 65.  As MS indicated, the area above the steering column needs to be modified as shown in the picture he posted.  I also replaced the 65 wiring with the 66 wiring (took from the same 66 as the dash).  Suggest that you get the wiring diagrams for both the 65 and 66 models so you can see the differences.  You'll need to use the oil pressure sending unit for a 66 as it is different from the unit used for the oil pressure light in the 65. 

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

2/11/2024 11:59 AM  #6

Looks like I will only be using the speed o, fuel and temp. Temp is just there as a back up mostly to fill the hole. I have oil, temp,volts tach and vacumm in round eleswhere thats why Im thinking of installing volts in the amp hole. Then I could install a clock in its hole. We will see I guess. Also I read that MS added lights, is there a picture showing where to drill those extra holes?

2/11/2024 4:34 PM  #7

Turn signal lights also need to split.

2/11/2024 5:55 PM  #8

Nos681 wrote:

Turn signal lights also need to split.

But I only turn right

2/11/2024 6:14 PM  #9

Both turn signal wires are there on the 65 cluster, just wired to the same light bulb. Simply split the two wires apart and done.
Use a ribbon of 12v LED lights RTV’d along the perimeter of the gauge case.  Choose your color. Much better than old style bulbs for illumination. Not all LEDs work with the dimmer switch

2/11/2024 6:17 PM  #10

Ron68 wrote:

MS - back surgery again? Well, I hope that it will be the final fix and it won't be bothering you anymore. When do you plan on having it done?

Was scheduled 2/7, then postponed a week, then postponed again after pre-admission labwork showed A1c too high.  Now scheduled 2/21/24. Working on three levels.

2/12/2024 2:08 AM  #11

MS wrote:

Ron68 wrote:

Was scheduled 2/7, then postponed a week, then postponed again after pre-admission labwork showed A1c too high. Now scheduled 2/21/24. Working on three levels.

Well, I will be thinking of you and hoping that all goes well. Thanks for letting us know.

2/12/2024 8:27 AM  #12

MS wrote:

Ron68 wrote:

Was scheduled 2/7, then postponed a week, then postponed again after pre-admission labwork showed A1c too high. Now scheduled 2/21/24. Working on three levels.

MS - Hope all goes well and a quick recovery. 

2/12/2024 12:16 PM  #13

Keep us informed on how you do........once 'going-under-the-knife' part is finished.
(I'm planning on having my leg hacked-off  and a new knee joint installed end of next month-ish)
Like my ol'Dad once said........"gitt'in old ain't wortha $hit son"     Boy did he say a mouthful !!!!
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

2/12/2024 1:56 PM  #14

6sally6 wrote:

Keep us informed on how you do........once 'going-under-the-knife' part is finished.
(I'm planning on having my leg hacked-off  and a new knee joint installed end of next month-ish)
Like my ol'Dad once said........"gitt'in old ain't wortha $hit son"     Boy did he say a mouthful !!!!
6sal6

LOL, you kids . . . . . . wait until you really get old like me!
https://tenor.com/en-CA/view/ferdinand-hans-ive-fallen-and-i-cant-giddyup-i-cant-get-up-ive-fallen-and-i-cant-get-up-gif-22526457

Last edited by Rudi (2/12/2024 1:58 PM)

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

2/12/2024 5:22 PM  #15

6sally6 wrote:

(I'm planning on having my leg hacked-off and a new knee joint installed end of next month-ish)
Like my ol'Dad once said........"gitt'in old ain't wortha $hit son" Boy did he say a mouthful !!!!
6sal6

My brother has his first knee replacement scheduled April 1st.  3 months later the other knee will be replaced.

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

2/12/2024 5:58 PM  #16

https://youtu.be/Ai3cnc-77ZE?t=359

Keeping it Mustang related (sorta)   I may NOT be doing this for a while  (It's my clutch leg )
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

2/12/2024 6:00 PM  #17

6sally6 wrote:

(I'm planning on having my leg hacked-off and a new knee joint installed end of next month-ish)
Like my ol'Dad once said........"gitt'in old ain't wortha $hit son" Boy did he say a mouthful !!!!
6sal6

Hey Mike - now you can join the Bionic Man club - I have a stainless steel shoulder joint. It is a beach getting old for sure.

2/12/2024 8:43 PM  #18

6sally6 wrote:

https://youtu.be/Ai3cnc-77ZE?t=359

Keeping it Mustang related (sorta) I may NOT be doing this for a while (It's my clutch leg )
6s6

Love that video had to watch 3 times again. and he drives a chevy lol

2/12/2024 8:50 PM  #19

OK dash is in test mode spent most of the day in the dash. Tooks MS idea with the LEDs and went from lower corner across top and down other side, plus the four stock lights, all in blue, got the notch cut and bent the tabs. All that is left is to test temp gauge and charging, I installed one of my LED volt gauges in the oil hole and my vac gauge in the amp hole. Then i can screw it in and hook up speed O
Thanks everyone for there input, couldnt have done it without.

Last edited by Cab4word67 (2/12/2024 8:52 PM)

2/13/2024 8:29 AM  #20

Cab4word67 wrote:

OK dash is in test mode spent most of the day in the dash. Tooks MS idea with the LEDs and went from lower corner across top and down other side, plus the four stock lights, all in blue, got the notch cut and bent the tabs. All that is left is to test temp gauge and charging, I installed one of my LED volt gauges in the oil hole and my vac gauge in the amp hole. Then i can screw it in and hook up speed O

If you have some pictures of this build, please post.  I'm not really clear on where the LED strips were installed. 

2/13/2024 8:39 AM  #21

BobE wrote:

Cab4word67 wrote:

If you have some pictures of this build, please post.  I'm not really clear on where the LED strips were installed. 

We surely do appreciate posted graphic images!

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

2/13/2024 7:26 PM  #22

Sorry I alway forget to take pics as I go.  I installed them on the inside top piece that the gauges mount in. i started on one side about half way down and went up, across the top and back down the other side. Then I reinstalled the fuel, temp and speed O. I think they help but I also used the stock 4 lights too. first pic show the volt gauge lit but blurry, second pic show all on except the digital volt gauge. Not bad for an amateur. Its clean and I didnt disturb the outside or the nice clear lens so if I ever want digital I can.

Last edited by Cab4word67 (2/13/2024 7:32 PM)

2/14/2024 8:58 AM  #23

Cab4 - Nicely done. 

2/14/2024 8:31 PM  #24

Bob, here’s a picture of the 65 deluxe/66 cluster housing.

I contemplated doing the same thing at a later date.

2/15/2024 8:58 AM  #25

Dan - thank you.  I have old 65 & 66 dash pods that I use as for testing and trying different things but couldn't visualize where Cab4 installed the LED strip lights.  Great idea that looks like it works quite well.  Wish I had thought of it ... and still may be a project in the future. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.