FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/15/2024 10:58 AM  #1

A picture is worth 1000 wordz.......

Prolly got a bad back now........huh MS (jus say'in)
6sal6

Last edited by 6sally6 (2/15/2024 10:59 AM)

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

2/15/2024 11:30 AM  #2

Re: A picture is worth 1000 wordz.......

That picture brings back memories Mike.
Back in the day I had a friend named John, he was a huge bugger about 6’2” and I would guess around 260 #  strong as an ox, all muscle.
After stripping a V8-60 of heads and other parts he  would physically lift the block out of his 49 Ford.
I lost track of him many years ago but  never knew of him having suffered the consequences, good genes I spose.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

2/15/2024 12:08 PM  #3

Ha! Thanks, I can remember back in 71 resting a 5 speed borg /warner  on my chest while eating a cookie all while under my 57 bell aire in high school. Then bench pressing the whole thing into the splines. Now I am wondering how I can get the tranny out from under the work bench with out wrenching my back out for the next month.

Member since 2003, Mustang Steve has always been my homepage. 67 FastBack..Future engine is currently my coffee table

2/15/2024 12:37 PM  #4

Reminds me of a time way back when I was 16. I snagged a 283 Chebby for my 66 CJ-5 engine swap. Rebuilt the 283 in the basement and when the short block was all together I figured this was the time to haul it back up the stairs. So I hauled the short block up the stairs. I had planned accordingly and placed newspapers on the kitchen table. This was to be my rest stop. I am so glad I did that too as I was about whooped once I carried the short block up the stairs. And I wonder why my back hurts.

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

2/15/2024 4:57 PM  #5

RV6 wrote:

Reminds me of a time way back when I was 16. I snagged a 283 Chebby for my 66 CJ-5 engine swap. Rebuilt the 283 in the basement and when the short block was all together I figured this was the time to haul it back up the stairs. So I hauled the short block up the stairs. I had planned accordingly and placed newspapers on the kitchen table. This was to be my rest stop. I am so glad I did that too as I was about whooped once I carried the short block up the stairs. And I wonder why my back hurts.

IF........memory serves........you had back trouble recently ! Jus guess'in
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

2/16/2024 7:27 AM  #6

Oh the list of heavy stuff I've moved/lifted.  I've always moved engine blocks by grabbing inside two of the main bores with rags and slinging the block around as needed (including several BBCs when I was a teenager).  Transmissions, heck, I've never not bench pressed a manual into position, including the T56 in my IROC and the T5 in my '67, which I did again in '21.  I always used a jack for an auto, but I did sling an E4OD from the floor to the bench once.  I've also slung the entire 5MT with transfer case from my WRX from the floor to the bench.  I pushed a '67 Bronco about 50' once before realizing it had a frozen brake drum on one side.  My cousin and I once pushed an '80s era Bronco with no engine up the ramps and onto a trailer.

This of course doesn't include the stuff I've done around my property or at work over the years.  I got my tractor out of a ditch one time by basically dead lifting the front end and throwing it sideways.  Its an AWS John Deere with a 60" deck under it.  I drug a restaurant grease tap on a skid 100 yards one time like a sled dog. 

I started back in the gym the end of last year after 7 years off due to a hernia I keep putting off having fixed.  I'm definitely not where I once was, but I'm still doing sets on bench with 205 and I dead lifted 350 the other week.  A far cry from where I was in my '30s, but probably still better than most guys my age, and a lot of guys half my age. 

I look at it this way, you only go around once.  Yeah, maybe years from now I'll need replacement surgery, etc., but hey, that's only if I live that long.  Also, by then there will hopefully be better options as technology continues to improve. 

2/16/2024 9:58 AM  #7

TKOPerformance wrote:

Oh the list of heavy stuff I've moved/lifted.  I've always moved engine blocks by grabbing inside two of the main bores with rags and slinging the block around as needed (including several BBCs when I was a teenager).  Transmissions, heck, I've never not bench pressed a manual into position, including the T56 in my IROC and the T5 in my '67, which I did again in '21.  I always used a jack for an auto, but I did sling an E4OD from the floor to the bench once.  I've also slung the entire 5MT with transfer case from my WRX from the floor to the bench.  I pushed a '67 Bronco about 50' once before realizing it had a frozen brake drum on one side.  My cousin and I once pushed an '80s era Bronco with no engine up the ramps and onto a trailer.

This of course doesn't include the stuff I've done around my property or at work over the years.  I got my tractor out of a ditch one time by basically dead lifting the front end and throwing it sideways.  Its an AWS John Deere with a 60" deck under it.  I drug a restaurant grease tap on a skid 100 yards one time like a sled dog. 

I started back in the gym the end of last year after 7 years off due to a hernia I keep putting off having fixed.  I'm definitely not where I once was, but I'm still doing sets on bench with 205 and I dead lifted 350 the other week.  A far cry from where I was in my '30s, but probably still better than most guys my age, and a lot of guys half my age. 

I look at it this way, you only go around once.  Yeah, maybe years from now I'll need replacement surgery, etc., but hey, that's only if I live that long.  Also, by then there will hopefully be better options as technology continues to improve. 

Just wondering,  are you  originally from Smallville Kansas?

2/16/2024 11:20 AM  #8

Rudi wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

.  I got my tractor out of a ditch one time by basically dead lifting the front end and throwing it sideways.   

after 7 years off due to a hernia       (KEY PHRASE !!!)
                                                                         ^^^^^

Just wondering,  are you  originally from Smallville Kansas?

TKO.....you're a 'good apple' taking all the teasing we throw your way !
6s6

2/16/2024 11:55 AM  #9

You didn't REALLY think I was finished did ya !?
6sal6

2/16/2024 11:58 AM  #10

picture hosting sites

A REAL 'tattle-tail' TACH.....

2/16/2024 11:59 AM  #11

Remember this dealership ?
I don't....
6s6

2/16/2024 1:21 PM  #12

Don't these old photos violate the forum rules?  I was under the impression that 6 cylinder engines were taboo here. 

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

2/16/2024 1:37 PM  #13

6sally6 wrote:

Rudi wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

.  I got my tractor out of a ditch one time by basically dead lifting the front end and throwing it sideways.  

after 7 years off due to a hernia (KEY PHRASE !!!)
^^^^^

Just wondering, are you originally from Smallville Kansas?

TKO.....you're a 'good apple' taking all the teasing we throw your way !
6s6

Well, there is a barn where I grew up, but I never found a space ship in it...

You know the #$%^ of the hernia was that it was in the umbilical area, where there is no muscle.  I managed to tear a hole in the connective tissue between the muscles.  I'm good now though.  I've got a piece of mesh the size of a sheet of paper tying everything together now! 

Ah Mike, you only tease the ones you like, right? 

2/16/2024 1:37 PM  #14

John Ha wrote:

Don't these old photos violate the forum rules?  I was under the impression that 6 cylinder engines were taboo here. 

Only if they are going INTO a vehicle.  Pulling them out is fine. 

2/16/2024 3:43 PM  #15

My dad bought his 63 390 Ford country squire  brand new from a dealership in Hollyweird. I don't remember any Glen Ford Ford there though. Maybe Galpin Ford?

Member since 2003, Mustang Steve has always been my homepage. 67 FastBack..Future engine is currently my coffee table

2/16/2024 4:58 PM  #16

If your back started hurting after you aged, then it was probably from attempting something now that you are not able to do any longer.  Back when you were more fit, flexible, and stronger, those actions were fine. Otherwise, your back would have started hurting then.  ...sucks getting older, but at least get smarter and don't try things that result in injury. 

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

2/16/2024 7:05 PM  #17

6sally6 wrote:

Prolly got a bad back now........huh MS (jus say'in)
6sal6

Back when I was young, dumb and fulla ...... I carried a four cylinder engine out of a 1959 Hillman from the garage through the back yard and down to the basement to do an overhaul. My brother asked me later, why didn't I use the wheelbarrow and I thought - duh. I did use the wheelbarrow when the rebuild was over to get it back up to the garage. (I learnt my lesson) The abuse I put my body through for 50 years as an aircraft mechanic came back to haunt me. Too many years working overhead on wing leading edges, and muscling 737 landing gear assemblies, wheels and brakes around caused me to have my left shoulder replaced in 2021 at 71. The right is living on borrowed time, but I'm not working on aircraft anymore, so I limp along. Yup, its a beach getting old.

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

2/17/2024 8:53 AM  #18

Rufus68 wrote:

If your back started hurting after you aged, then it was probably from attempting something now that you are not able to do any longer.  Back when you were more fit, flexible, and stronger, those actions were fine. Otherwise, your back would have started hurting then.  ...sucks getting older, but at least get smarter and don't try things that result in injury. 

Oh, it did.  I have two unresolved stress fractures in my L5 dating back to when I was 16-17.  It stems from a congenital weakness.  Basically all the men in my father's family have it.  I am not typically in pain from them, maybe 1-3 times a year they act up.  I still live by the advice my doctor gave me, which was that I couldn't hurt it worse than it already was, if something aggravates it: stop, and the only solution is fusion surgery.  His advice on the surgery was to come back and see him when I was 40 or 50, hunched over and could barely walk.  At 46 that hasn't happened yet, and good thing too, I just saw he died last week.  I've found that keeping the muscles in my back strong and flexible seems to have kept me out of pain.  I'm also glad I didn't play much football growing up.  My uncle played at Alabama and then got drafted by the Raiders, but ended up in BC and Saskatchewan in the CFL.  A lot of great stories, but he's got his L3-L5 fused with plates on either side of his lumbar spine. 

2/17/2024 9:35 AM  #19

Quicksilver wrote:

My dad bought his 63 390 Ford country squire  brand new from a dealership in Hollyweird. I don't remember any Glen Ford Ford there though. Maybe Galpin Ford?

The dealership in the ad is actually a Buick and Oldsmobile dealer.  In the upper right corner you'll see "We don't sell Fords" under the large FORD DEALERSHIP sign, and at the bottom left corner you'll see the box with "All your favorite Fords" at the top and "We don't sell any of them" at the bottom.

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

2/17/2024 12:14 PM  #20

TKOPerformance wrote:

Rufus68 wrote:

Oh, it did.  I have two unresolved stress fractures in my L5 dating back to when I was 16-17.  It stems from a congenital weakness.  Basically all the men in my father's family have it.  I am not typically in pain from them, maybe 1-3 times a year they act up.  I still live by the advice my doctor gave me, which was that I couldn't hurt it worse than it already was, if something aggravates it: stop, and the only solution is fusion surgery.  His advice on the surgery was to come back and see him when I was 40 or 50, hunched over and could barely walk.  At 46 that hasn't happened yet, and good thing too, I just saw he died last week.  I've found that keeping the muscles in my back strong and flexible seems to have kept me out of pain.  I'm also glad I didn't play much football growing up.  My uncle played at Alabama and then got drafted by the Raiders, but ended up in BC and Saskatchewan in the CFL.  A lot of great stories, but he's got his L3-L5 fused with plates on either side of his lumbar spine. 

All of my working career I operated industrial metal machining equipment that was not ergonomically friendly with my, at those times, 6’5” frame. Those machines were designed for people a foot shorter than me so most of my days were spent hunched over like a dog humping a football and that obviously took a toll on my spine.
In 1997 after many previous serious back issue’s my back bones said “enough” and literally floored me.
I had no option other than lower lumbar fusion where the bone doctor screwed L4 and L5 vertebrae to the sacrum.
As far as success is concerned I’d say 50-50. I’m very limited on what my back lets me do but at least the severe sciatica and debilitating lower back spasms are mostly gone.
My other physical issues are more than likely a combination of heavy construction work and 15 years of off road motorcycle racing .
No regrets! My family tells me to give it a rest, you’ve already done your share of awesome stuff.
Any way that's some of my stories.
My back x-rays below.

Last edited by Rudi (2/17/2024 12:17 PM)

2/18/2024 7:41 AM  #21

Rudi wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

Rufus68 wrote:

All of my working career I operated industrial metal machining equipment that was not ergonomically friendly with my, at those times, 6’5” frame. Those machines were designed for people a foot shorter than me so most of my days were spent hunched over like a dog humping a football and that obviously took a toll on my spine.
In 1997 after many previous serious back issue’s my back bones said “enough” and literally floored me.
I had no option other than lower lumbar fusion where the bone doctor screwed L4 and L5 vertebrae to the sacrum.
As far as success is concerned I’d say 50-50. I’m very limited on what my back lets me do but at least the severe sciatica and debilitating lower back spasms are mostly gone.
My other physical issues are more than likely a combination of heavy construction work and 15 years of off road motorcycle racing .
No regrets! My family tells me to give it a rest, you’ve already done your share of awesome stuff.
My back x-rays below.

Yeah, that's about what my uncle's looked like.  Rough go, but as you said, better than being in debilitating pain.  As I get older I have encountered some measure of nerve issues related to it.  The outside of my right thigh sometimes falls asleep or sort of gets this feeling like its being wanded by something putting off static electricity.  Its usually only when sitting or lying in certain positions for an extended period of time.  It fortunately doesn't seem to be getting any worse.  I still think staying active to the greatest degree possible is the best medicine.  Obviously that degree changes as we age, but lying around just leads to atrophy and more problems.  People are meant to move, and we can always do more awesome stuff!

2/18/2024 9:57 AM  #22

Rudi - a female friend of mine had similar surgery, she showed me the screws involved and I am still shocked by the size of those screws.  Good luck to you going forward.

TKO - you mentioned that 'static electricity" feeling, my limited medical knowledge (based on doctor evaluations of this feeling in my body), these 'electric' feelings are a result of a nerve being pinched. 
And I agree, stay active for as long as one can.  

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

2/18/2024 2:36 PM  #23

TKOPerformance wrote:

Rudi wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

My back x-rays below.

Yeah, that's about what my uncle's looked like.  Rough go, but as you said, better than being in debilitating pain.  As I get older I have encountered some measure of nerve issues related to it.  The outside of my right thigh sometimes falls asleep or sort of gets this feeling like its being wanded by something putting off static electricity.  Its usually only when sitting or lying in certain positions for an extended period of time.  It fortunately doesn't seem to be getting any worse.  I still think staying active to the greatest degree possible is the best medicine.  Obviously that degree changes as we age, but lying around just leads to atrophy and more problems.  People are meant to move, and we can always do more awesome stuff!

Got that same numbness on my left thigh - not a problem, just a simple annoyance.

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

2/20/2024 5:08 PM  #24

Me TOO !!!. I keep thinking its my phone on vibrate..... I just sorta ignore it.

6sally6

2/20/2024 6:52 PM  #25

Mine looks just like that.  Seems like they would safety-wire the bolts

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.