FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/23/2024 11:47 PM  #1

Anybody used the heater core that has the long pipes?

It allows you to install and then put hoses on from engine compartment I believe I have a hose that has came loose.
So if anybody has used one or knows where to get this upgraded part let me know .

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

2/24/2024 6:38 AM  #2

Re: Anybody used the heater core that has the long pipes?

I haven't used one but NPD has an aluminum replacement Item # 18476-1B with the extended tubes.

Last edited by BobC (2/24/2024 6:38 AM)

Bash Host MSBB XVI.       BobC    1966 Mustang Coupe

2/24/2024 10:03 AM  #3

Sort-of-related tip.
I install the hoses by running a long loop from the engine compartment through the holes in the dash. Then I install them to the heater core tubes before putting the heater box in place.
Then you can pull on the hoses from the engine compartment to pull the heater box into position.

This keeps you from having to fit the hoses to the core when the box is already in place.

Once the box is bolted on, then cut the hose and fit it to the intake and water pump.

Lower hose connection goes to the intake manifold fitting.  This keeps bubbles from forming inside the core, which will reduce heat transfer.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

2/24/2024 10:25 AM  #4

My Classic Auto Air kit came with such a core.
All the heater and AC connections are in the engine bay.
The original core configuration is one of Fords stupid ideas, all for the sake of a few inches of brass tubing.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

2/24/2024 10:49 PM  #5

Pretty sure mine may have  had a hose malfunction or something was thinking I had the guy put a new one in but with an engine swap and all the A/C work I had done since its kinda hard to blame it on anybody just figured that was a good idea to have the tubes run out the firewall so could change heater hoses if they needed it without having to mess with heater core the inside of car side

2/25/2024 1:13 AM  #6

Should be getting my Quick Performance third member installed soon then going to another shop to see why its not running like it should ....my be because of the gear that is currently in it which seems like it is a 3;00 could be a 2;79 I don't remember it is single trac the new one is a 3;55 eaton tru trac.

2/25/2024 1:06 PM  #7

BILLY WALTON from GEORGIA wrote:

..... going to another shop to see why its not running like it should ....might be because of the gear that is currently in it which seems like it is a 3;00 could be a 2;79 I don't remember it is single trac the new one is a 3;55 eaton tru trac.

With either gear you should pull strong to 80+ in third gear !!
Jus won't have killer acceleration from a dead stop.
The engine and mods you have.... it SHOULD spin the tires to the threads once they break loose !!
If not I would look at the engine......
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

2/25/2024 9:59 PM  #8

6sally6 wrote:

..... going to another shop to see why its not running like it should ....might be because of the gear that is currently in it which seems like it is a 3;00 could be a 2;79 I don't remember it is single trac the new one is a 3;55 eaton tru trac.

With either gear you should pull strong to 80+ in third gear !!
Jus won't have killer acceleration from a dead stop.
The engine and mods you have.... it SHOULD spin the tires to the threads once they break loose !!
If not I would look at the engine......
6sally6

Exactly what I am thinking...was gonna get the gear changed then see how it ran.

2/27/2024 10:16 AM  #9

It allows you to install and then put hoses on from engine compartment I believe I have a hose that has came loose.
So if anybody has used one or knows where to get this upgraded part let me know .

I'm pretty sure that there was a tip or a post on here a while back showing how to extend the tubes on a standard heater core. 
Failing that, if you have a local radiator shop they could almost certainly extend those tubes for you.  Just be sure you measure to make sure you get the right final length.

Last edited by John Ha (2/27/2024 10:23 AM)

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

3/21/2024 1:45 PM  #10

Anyone replaced their Heater Core lately so many brands out there and sources....some alluminum some brass. What did yall get pros vs. cons?

3/24/2024 1:32 AM  #11

I guess not

3/24/2024 8:24 AM  #12

When I was rebuilding my Mustang 25+ years ago, I installed an aluminum replacement heater core (short pipe, OEM, style).  I have no idea who was the manufacturer.  A few years ago I installed a Vintage Air system that includes a different heater core.  I have had no issues with either heater core.   

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.