FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/25/2024 9:38 PM  #1

Wheels for my 65 convertible

This is the wheel I am thinking of putting on my convertible.  I like the ten spokes better, but they did not exist in 1965.
These are alloy rim where originals had a chrome steel rim and were 15x6.  Since I am using the 11” K/H disc brakes, no need to go to a larger wheel. I recently bout Mickey Thompson 15” radials for my 69 coupe and they seem like a decent tire. 

my photo picture

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

2/25/2024 9:55 PM  #2

Re: Wheels for my 65 convertible

I like them.

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

2/26/2024 7:55 AM  #3

Nice!

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

2/26/2024 8:14 AM  #4

MS wrote:

This is the wheel I am thinking of putting on my convertible. I like the ten spokes better, but they did not exist in 1965.
These are alloy rim where originals had a chrome steel rim and were 15x6. Since I am using the 11” K/H disc brakes, no need to go to a larger wheel. I recently bout Mickey Thompson 15” radials for my 69 coupe and they seem like a decent tire.my photo picture

Those are nice.  I have the 15" 10 spokes on mine, Yokahama 216-60 tires.  Neither of those were used in 66 either.  But the car looks so good with them (at least to my eye) that I couldn't resist using them.  I got them from Branda.

Last edited by John Ha (2/26/2024 8:22 AM)

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

2/26/2024 11:25 AM  #5

John Ha wrote:

MS wrote:

This is the wheel I am thinking of putting on my convertible. I like the ten spokes better, but they did not exist in 1965.
These are alloy rim where originals had a chrome steel rim and were 15x6. Since I am using the 11” K/H disc brakes, no need to go to a larger wheel. I recently bout Mickey Thompson 15” radials for my 69 coupe and they seem like a decent tire.my photo picture

Those are nice.  I have the 15" 10 spokes on mine, Yokahama 216-60 tires.  Neither of those were used in 66 either.  But the car looks so good with them (at least to my eye) that I couldn't resist using them.  I got them from Branda.

I agree with you 100% on the ten spokes. They might still be a consideration. It will be a while before I buy wheels and tires. It currently has 15x7 styled steel wheels with 4.25” backspacing and 215x60/15 T/A radials.

2/26/2024 12:23 PM  #6

There are two types of ten spoke wheels.The 66 Shelby had different design than the 67-68 wheels.
Here is a shot of my 68 Shelby wheels about 15 years ago. I much prefer the RWL on the outside rather than pictured here.
 That design is also available in 17x7 but for some reason the proportion seems to off compared to the 15 inch diameter.

Last edited by Rudi (2/26/2024 12:41 PM)

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

2/26/2024 3:40 PM  #7

Rudi wrote:

There are two types of ten spoke wheels.The 66 Shelby had different design than the 67-68 wheels.
Here is a shot of my 68 Shelby wheels about 15 years ago. I much prefer the RWL on the outside rather than pictured here.
 That design is also available in 17x7 but for some reason the proportion seems to off compared to the 15 inch diameter.

That's a great-looking car.  IIRC, the original 66 10-spokes were 14" rims.  I had a set of them (or replicas) that came on my car.  It got to the point where I had a lot of trouble finding tires for 14" rims (other than the "we're not really sure where these are made" tires) so I bought a set of 15" Magnum 500s.  After a while I just didn't care for the way they looked on the car.  So I got the ones that are on it now.

Last edited by John Ha (2/26/2024 3:42 PM)

2/26/2024 8:28 PM  #8

My 68 KR had the 15” ten spokes. I really like those wheels.
Another consideration on wheel choice is how difficult they are to keep clean.

2/27/2024 8:24 AM  #9

The 68 ten spokes are RPITA to keep clean, I have a whole set of special brushes to keep them clean.
I also power buff them every year to keep them shiny since they are not coated.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

2/27/2024 9:13 AM  #10

John Ha - those 10 spokes look good.  

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

2/27/2024 10:11 AM  #11

BobE wrote:

John Ha - those 10 spokes look good.  

Thanks very much!  I'm not nearly as fussy as Rudi is about cleaning them though

2/27/2024 4:51 PM  #12

Just an opinion... Don't see a problem with the ten spokes.   It's not so much what you could get in 1965 or 1966, but what a young man could go to the dealer and get to perk up his ride in 67, 68, 69. Etc.

To me period correct is what came on it, with it, available over the counter within a five year period after the car left the dealer lot!

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

2/27/2024 9:48 PM  #13

I tend to agree, Greg. I wonder if I could have the wheels powder coated at a wheel repair place so they would stay shny and be easier to clean.

2/28/2024 8:06 PM  #14

I have had several sets of wheels powder coated.  Results were outstanding.  Very smooth, and easy to keep clean.  Last set was 2 years ago and I paid $125 per wheel, which included clean up of some corrosion on all 4 wheels, color powder in some areas of the wheel, and clear everywhere else.  I will be doing another set the next time my DD needs tires.

3/03/2024 9:12 AM  #15

Very nice either way as far as appearance.

Mustang Steve Bash in Gruene, Texas September29-30, 2023

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.