FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/03/2024 4:23 AM  #1

Fold down seat In a 1965 coupe mustang?

Anyone install a newer model rear seat in a 1965-1966 coupe Mustang? Or has anyone installed a folddown backseat In a 1965-1966 Mustang Coupe?

3/03/2024 8:20 PM  #2

Re: Fold down seat In a 1965 coupe mustang?

A friend put a fold down rear seat from a fastback in his 66 convertible

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

3/04/2024 8:03 AM  #3

I actually played with this idea many years ago.  What you are going to find is the space is large enough for them to fit, but the Fox body seats have interesting curves.  So to do it and make it look good, your going to have to modify the rear inner panels to fit more flush at the very top, and at the front bottom by the door sill.  If I remember correctly, the width was 44 inches at its widest.   It can be done, I've seen it done on a car at car show, I used to have pictures, probably still do on an sd card somewhere.   Didn't follow through, the hulk was too rusty.

The other thing I was going to do to make them fold was use some webbed cloth material and a chrome D ring that could be pulled to fold.

Sometimes the best ideas are the ones you contemplate them ultimately reject. 

That said, I might actually still have the seat base.  The guy who bought the coupe from me wanted the top fold down part.  Not sure if he took the bottom too.

Last edited by Greg B (3/04/2024 8:04 AM)

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

3/04/2024 1:46 PM  #4

There was a How To article in one of the Mustang Mags back in the day. Damn if I can remeber though.

3/04/2024 10:47 PM  #5

I have a fox body seat recovered to match the seats in my 65 which are fox body rear fold down
covered like the 69 with the red mach 1 stripe just never have got around to modifying to fit

Last edited by BILLY WALTON from GEORGIA (3/04/2024 10:56 PM)

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

3/08/2024 9:14 PM  #6

MS wrote:

That would be really neat to see

3/08/2024 9:17 PM  #7

BILLY WALTON from GEORGIA wrote:

I have a fox body seat recovered to match the seats in my 65 which are fox body rear fold down
covered like the 69 with the red mach 1 stripe just never have got around to modifying to fit

Very cool are fox body rear seat close to fitting a 1965?

3/09/2024 12:35 PM  #8

True74yamaha wrote:

MS wrote:

That would be really neat to see

I agree, coupe or convertible,  I'd like to see how the side panels and the rear deck were finished off.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

3/10/2024 12:12 AM  #9

True74yamaha wrote:

Its pretty close....been a while since I looked at it.

3/10/2024 1:58 AM  #10

True74yamaha wrote:

That's awesome sounds like a near project is that what you're planning on installing in your 1965?

3/10/2024 10:50 AM  #11

True74yamaha wrote:

True74yamaha wrote:

That's awesome sounds like a near project is that what you're planning on installing in your 1965?

Yeah I had a friend that moved now that did a lot of custom radio and speaker work he re did a lot of back seats to install speakers and delete them and such he would have been best to do the job....I had them recovered probaly 15 years ago lol they just been sitting.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.