FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/21/2024 7:38 AM  #1

Thinking about subframe connectors...

For a while now, I've been wanting to make the uni-body more rigid. It would be great to bring in some strength and maybe improve the car's chances in the event of an impact.

I plan to add the Z-Ray cross member with jack pad this year and I already have the one inch sway bar and monte Carlo bar (which by the way made an incredible difference). I was going to add a cross brace, but can't due to it fouling up on the air cleaner.

I see a lot of talk about subframe connectors and wondered if these would help much with regards to rigidity and improving my chances in an impact? Is there a brand of subframe connector that people recommend? Is there some information on how these subframe connectors are fitted? I have a buddy that's excellent at welding, but I didn't want to have to strip the car down or anything like that to fit these.

My car is driven regularly, but never raced or anything...

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

3/21/2024 10:03 AM  #2

Re: Thinking about subframe connectors...

The Mustang has no frame under it.  Its a unibody car, but plenty of unitbody cars have full frame rails.  The Mustang has a front frame rail and a rear frame rail and floorpan in between.  Weak sauce.  Its just not a good design from a strength and handling standpoint.  Subframe connectors complete the frame rails.  This makes handling more precise and improve traction.  A stiffer chassis allows you to run a lighter spring and still get the same handling. 

There are a bunch of different manufacturers.  Personally I wouldn't waste $1 on bolt in connectors.  Get a good set of weld in connectors.  I have a set from Fatman Fabrication in my '67.  Good quality, fit well. 

Typically they either slide inside the front frame rails or craddle them and then tie into the rear around the front spring mount.  You don't need to strip the car down to install them.  Pull the seats and sill plates and fold the carpet back at most.  Even that's just precautionary.  The areas where you weld aren't right against the carpet. 

3/21/2024 12:11 PM  #3

My car  had a completed interior I couldn’t use connectors that welded to the floor pan.
I used Global West’s tubular connectors. They made a noticeable difference since the it’s a convertible.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

3/21/2024 1:41 PM  #4

I have the weld in Tinman in mine I like them

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

3/21/2024 5:21 PM  #5

I sourced mine from Maier Racing a long time ago.  They're welded and vastly improved handling.  I don't know if Maier is still around.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

3/21/2024 5:42 PM  #6

Thanks guys! Can you share any photos of the connectors welded in and a link on where to source them from?
What's the opinion on whether these strengthen up the car to make an outcome better in the chance of an impact?

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

3/21/2024 9:27 PM  #7

They certainly won't cause any more damage in a wreck.  In a front or rear impact they should help by keeping the car stiffer (less buckling/damage).  Probably no real benefit if you got T-boned. 

3/22/2024 7:54 AM  #8

I have weld-in Tin Man Subframe Connectors, purchased from Summit.  
IMO - I agree w/TKO's post.  They are definitely 'better' than not having them, especially as these cars are older and likely any flexing through the years has weakened the overall structure of the car.  

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

3/22/2024 9:35 AM  #9

A bit of overhead welding needed.

https://imgur.com/pEjCUnt

Last edited by Rudi (3/22/2024 10:54 AM)

3/22/2024 11:27 AM  #10

Good info above. I'm struggling finding my pics or MS's pics of his SFCs, which look great.

I don't know anyone who regrets installing SFCs. Pretty sure it was the first mod I did to my 69. I have welded Competition Engineering SFCs, which only contact the ends of the front and rear factory frame rails.

If you're considering adding them to your 65, I gotta ask if you have torque boxes on it yet. I'd think torque boxes would be my first fix, then SFCs. Torque boxes by definition resist torque, which is mighty important. And SFCs resist linear forces.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

3/22/2024 12:05 PM  #11

Convertible inner rockers are also a very good stiffening addition to coops and rapid posteriors,
Not really an option for a finished interior though

Last edited by Rudi (3/22/2024 12:59 PM)

3/22/2024 12:30 PM  #12

I have a web page showing you how to make your own

https://dazecars.com/dazed/sub-frame.html

If it isn't broken...modify it anyway! http://www.DazeCars.com https://galaxieforum.boardhost.com

3/23/2024 6:48 AM  #13

Daze wrote:

I have a web page showing you how to make your own

https://dazecars.com/dazed/sub-frame.html

Thanks Daze! NICE WORK and love your website!!

3/23/2024 6:49 AM  #14

Rudi wrote:

Convertible inner rockers are also a very good stiffening addition to coops and rapid posteriors,
Not really an option for a finished interior though

Fair enough... Mine is finished and well and truly on the road, but thanks anyway.

3/23/2024 6:51 AM  #15

RPM, aka Bearing Bob wrote:

Good info above. I'm struggling finding my pics or MS's pics of his SFCs, which look great.

I don't know anyone who regrets installing SFCs. Pretty sure it was the first mod I did to my 69. I have welded Competition Engineering SFCs, which only contact the ends of the front and rear factory frame rails.

If you're considering adding them to your 65, I gotta ask if you have torque boxes on it yet. I'd think torque boxes would be my first fix, then SFCs. Torque boxes by definition resist torque, which is mighty important. And SFCs resist linear forces.

I haven't had any torque boxes fitted and since my car is already finished and on the road, this isn't an option for me, based on the MotorTrend article I checked out. Thanks anyway, but I'm limited to subframe connectors.

3/23/2024 6:54 AM  #16

BobE wrote:

I have weld-in Tin Man Subframe Connectors, purchased from Summit.  
IMO - I agree w/TKO's post.  They are definitely 'better' than not having them, especially as these cars are older and likely any flexing through the years has weakened the overall structure of the car.  

I definitely see your point!

3/23/2024 6:55 AM  #17

Would it be correct to assume that fitting subframe connectors would be about a 1/2 day job?

3/23/2024 8:06 AM  #18

Toploader wrote:

Would it be correct to assume that fitting subframe connectors would be about a 1/2 day job?

Mustang Steve’s Law has to be applied to the job or any other modification as well!🤬

3/23/2024 8:40 AM  #19

I built a set of Daze connectors and really like them.

3/23/2024 11:17 AM  #20

3/23/2024 12:13 PM  #21

First, to really do it correctly the car need to be sitting on its tires.  So this isn't a jack stand job.  I built 4' high stands so I could pick cars up with my 2 post lift and then set them on the stands.  Another option is a 4 post lift.

Second, I would budget an entire day or even a whole weekend just to be safe.  You may find things are tweaked out of true and require some time to correct, etc. 

3/23/2024 2:05 PM  #22

Suggestion - paint (or coat with something to prevent rusting) at least the top of the subframe connectors prior to installation.  While there is some room to do so after installation, it gets complicated, and one can't see if you've gotten full coverage. 

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

3/23/2024 4:52 PM  #23

TKOPerformance wrote:

First, to really do it correctly the car need to be sitting on its tires.  So this isn't a jack stand job.  I built 4' high stands so I could pick cars up with my 2 post lift and then set them on the stands.  Another option is a 4 post lift.

Second, I would budget an entire day or even a whole weekend just to be safe.  You may find things are tweaked out of true and require some time to correct, etc. 

I had mine welded at a body & fender shop which had a frame straightening table.  I wanted to make sure everything was flat.  I don't remember the cost, but it was cheap insurance.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

3/23/2024 6:17 PM  #24

Rudi wrote:

Toploader wrote:

Mustang Steve’s Law has to be applied to the job or any other modification as well!🤬

Yeah... I hear you! 😬

3/23/2024 6:23 PM  #25

BobE wrote:

Suggestion - paint (or coat with something to prevent rusting) at least the top of the subframe connectors prior to installation.  While there is some room to do so after installation, it gets complicated, and one can't see if you've gotten full coverage. 

Good point Bob and I've already been thinking about this one. I would want to coat them in something all over and inside as well. When it came to welding time, this would upset the coating a bit in the welded areas, but I would just re-coat those areas.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.