FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/21/2024 2:04 PM  #1

Door mirror gasket type material.

Here is one for the group to ponder.   I previously posted about needing to put new door mirrors on my Galaxie convertible.   I needed to put a matching mirror on the passenger side.   It had a cheapy aftermarket plastic chrome mirror on the drivers side.

I was going to put reproduction Mustang mirrors on it....nixed that.

I've been searching the internets, and auctions and such, I finally have TWO really nice used early year Ford mirrors, (with the inset and Ford script) on them.   These would be very similar to what would be the original Mirror on a very early Mustang, you know as popularly known as a 1964.5.

Problem now is, I do not have door gaskets at all.   They do not make C3cz-17724-A gaskets.  1965/1966 base mirror gaskets will not fit these.  The closest thing there is is Dennis Carpenter makes a reproduction gasket for 1961 Galaxies, C1SZ-17724-A. And even it is not a perfect fit, but supposed to be as close as there is. They are 7.95 apiece, plus 9.99 to ship.

So has anyone ever traced out and made rubber/plastic mirror gaskets, and if you did, what material did you use?

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

3/21/2024 3:46 PM  #2

Re: Door mirror gasket type material.

If the mounting surface is flat you could use 1/16” ABS or PVC sheet.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

3/21/2024 9:25 PM  #3

Shouldn't be too tough to cut a gasket out of sheet rubber.  The black EPDM they use for roofing would probably be a good choice.  It will hold up well outside and should be around 3/32" thick.  You should be able to buy a small roll for seams, or if you know a roofer they probably can just give you some scrap. 

3/22/2024 6:07 AM  #4

I would post pictures of my acquisitions, but picture posting seems to be messed up again.  I polished them up this morning.  They turned out very nice.

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

3/22/2024 8:04 AM  #5

Try "Fatties Mirrors"; https://www.haganauto.com/category_s/197.htm
Maybe they can help.
I have some 1/16" and 1/8" rubber gasket material that I plan to cut for the mirror gasket, but I do not know the material type, or manufacturer.  (I've had them for years)

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

3/22/2024 10:48 AM  #6

After thinking over the suggestions I bought a 3/32 neoprene sheet on Amazon.   Success of doing this seems to me in how clean the cut is.   I've thunk that one out, too.

I'm going to take the sheet and my old mirror and screw it down on a piece of wood.  Then cut out around it with a really sharp exacto knife.   Hopefully will cut out very clean like that.

I probably should have just bucked up the 15.98 for the gaskets, but I just can't bring myself to pay 9.99 shipping on that.   So I will spend twice as much of this idea fails!

3/23/2024 6:50 PM  #7

I got my 3" x 9"  sheet from Amazon in 1 day cost was zero ( I stole my wife's bonus points).

I cut them out using both an exacto knife, and scissors.  They did not turn out as perfect as I wanted, but they aren't too darn shabby!  I do think 3/32 was a solid choice not to thin and not too thick.   Mainly posting this now in case this comes up again and someone else needs to make gaskets.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0CJYN9331?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

If the picture posting gets fixed, I will snap a pic.

3/24/2024 8:06 AM  #8

Greg B - thanks for the update.  I need to make one for my mirror and would like to see a picture of the finished product. 

3/24/2024 8:49 AM  #9

If the picture posting option gets fixed, the button leads to a poll for some reason,   I will post what I did, and what I made.  I don't know any other way to post it.

3/25/2024 7:06 AM  #10

Greg B wrote:

If the picture posting option gets fixed, the button leads to a poll for some reason, I will post what I did, and what I made. I don't know any other way to post it.

I'll send you a PM with my email address, maybe that will work.

3/25/2024 7:09 AM  #11

Greg B wrote:

If the picture posting option gets fixed, the button leads to a poll for some reason, I will post what I did, and what I made. I don't know any other way to post it.

I use Imgur - you post the photos there and use the link provided to post here.  If you want, you can email the images to me (rextherocket@yahoo.com), I'll put them on Imgur and post them here. 

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

3/25/2024 11:51 AM  #12

The thing to check is that some gaskets were thicker on the lower side, depending on the curvature of the door/fender. Also, there is usually a flange that fits around the mirror base perimeter. It is not just a flat gasket.

This seems like the perfect opportunity to 3-d print exactly what you need.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

3/25/2024 6:48 PM  #13

Even though the mirrors carry the same part #, the bases are slightly different, most likely from different molds.   So each gasket is different because it's cut to its respective base.   They were probably churning these out in multiple molds in four different factories back in the day.

Cut with exacto knife out of 3/32 sheet, and used a hole punch to cut 1/8 screw holes.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.