| ||
| Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for: FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events |
1 of 1
Offline
Hi,
Running the 302 EFI in my 66 but still using the old gear selector from the 3 speed . Is this advisable or would you recommend a different selector? I am in the UK so just getting an AOD selector isn't really an option but getting something like a B&G shifter or similar is. Any info welcome. I can use the original shifter but I keep having to adjust it as it doesn't always engage the park option at the end of its travel.
Offline
The transmission shift selector arms have different center to center distances. A nice way to solve this other than making your own arm is this selector shaft/arm from Lokar -
The ATA 1000 has a 1/4" slot versus the 5/16" with the 1001. You can get some heim joints and threaded rod and make your own linkage from the shifter to the trans fairly easily.
Here's a thread that has some good pics. LINK
Last edited by GPatrick (6/17/2026 5:38 PM)
Offline
Has anyone on here done the stock C4 shifter (non green dot) mod for a 4R70W installation, or does anyone have a link listing parts, pictures, etc for that mod? I can see that Lokar makes four different arms for the mod, but no additional information on what is needed to complete the mod. (The link that G Patrick listed is for an AOD mod - but would that also work for a 4R70W?)
Offline
Thank you GPatrick for that. I am pretty sure I have a Lokar shaft/arm. Do I need to remove the Trans Pan to fit that arm?
Offline
Yes, the pan has to be pulled but it is worth the effort to get a good workable solution. When have the pan off, it is a great time to fit a drain plug in the pan. If you keep your drain pan clean you can re-use the oil you drain out.
Offline
Yes , great idea which I was thinking of and putting a small magnet in there too to catch any filings.
Thanks for the reply.
Offline
A factory AOD should have a fairly large magnet on the pan. Looks like a doughnut. I'll see if I can find a link for the drain plug my friend uses on all of his AOD and 4R builds. One hole and some tack welds to hold the nut on the inside. The plug has a nice seal
Ron, the mods for the 4R70W and the AOD are the same. Of the Lokar arms, the 4R is a solid shaft since the TV is not used. The two variants for the 4R are for a 1/4" versus 5/16" slot. I'm using the 4R version on a column shift in a 46 Ford with a GM style aftermarket column, Setup is a breeze with the slot to get the right lever arm length.
Last edited by GPatrick (6/19/2026 7:07 AM)
Offline
GPatrick wrote:
A factory AOD should have a fairly large magnet on the pan. Looks like a doughnut. I'll see if I can find a link for the drain plug my friend uses on all of his AOD and 4R builds. One hole and some tack welds to hold the nut on the inside. The plug has a nice seal
Ron, the mods for the 4R70W and the AOD are the same. Of the Lokar arms, the 4R is a solid shaft since the TV is not used. The two variants for the 4R are for a 1/4" versus 5/16" slot. I'm using the 4R version on a column shift in a 46 Ford with a GM style aftermarket column, Setup is a breeze with the slot to get the right lever arm length.
Thanks much for the information. Now I regret selling my shifter from my C4.... Guess I'll have to get busy finding another one. This is now on my to do list - but not right now.
1 of 1
| REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on. |