FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/17/2013 9:04 PM  #51

Re: MUFFLERS

Since you mentioned the engine with a two barrel carb...  Your exhaust will sound totally different with the exact same system and a four barrel carb, with no other changes made.  I experienced this many years ago on a 383 stroker El Camino I had.

Exhaust sound is a strange phenomenon and I certainly have no idea how to tune one for a particular sound, nor do I know if the companies making the claims know what they are talking about.  Sometimes you just have to go with it and hope for the best.  I know from my own experience the flowmaster mufflers really do exactly what they say they will do.  I just wish they could do it in a smaller package

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

10/17/2013 10:26 PM  #52

Is it possible/practical to cut a strip out of the casing of the Flowmaster and weld it back together to shorten it?  If the 50's are good but a little too long, can they be shortened enough to make them fit?  Seems like a lot to do on a new muffler but it would be worth it if they performed well and probably easier that designing a new one from scratch.

10/18/2013 8:11 AM  #53

GPatrick wrote:

Is it possible/practical to cut a strip out of the casing of the Flowmaster and weld it back together to shorten it?  If the 50's are good but a little too long, can they be shortened enough to make them fit?  Seems like a lot to do on a new muffler but it would be worth it if they performed well and probably easier that designing a new one from scratch.

That would change the chamber size and the sound would be different.  I hope the carchemistry resonators work better than you described!  I think the ones I am getting are totally different concept than the ones on your cobra.  I have my fingers crossed!

10/18/2013 3:05 PM  #54

That is disappointing that the VT's rattle a lot and dont solve the problem over 65mph. My '90 GT with a older dynomax catback is a drone monster

10/18/2013 4:01 PM  #55

I have been swapping emails with Ken at CarChemistry.  It would be great if I could just install the Gibsons, test those, then install the CarChemistry resonators and compare with and without.  But logistics of installing the new mufflers dictates I install it all at once.  Whatever it sounds like, that is the way it is going to be...

10/18/2013 4:11 PM  #56

When first I picked up the Vert in Dallas It had a high mileage 4bbl 302/C-4 in it. I really liked the sound of the exhaust. Very mellow at cruise, more volume when stepped on.
Within in a year, I had exchanged the 302/C-4 cast log exhaust manifolds, for the roller 308/4R70W Shorty headers in it now. Other than the exhaust manifolds, the intake and exhaust remained the same with the two engines. However a drone at 1900-2500or so RPM had become very evident.
During our time travling together at and to the Bash, Glen Buzek told me the drone is very common with the 351/5.0 firing order. A known Fox 5.0 issue. The two legs of a dual exhaust are like two tines of a tuning fork vibrating in synch, the 5.0 firing order is condusive to the Drone Harmonic at 2-2.5k RPM.
Take note of who has issues with "exhaust drone", and who has a 5.0 based engine. There is a distinct parallel.
Solutions are; Quarter wave attenuators and/or make the exhaust legs as dis-similar as possible. Which I'm trying to do with the Vert and Miss May, both 5.0 based engines. Both DRONE like crazy!!!
I'd like to try Car Chemestry's Baffle Builder Disks, in different locations of a cars two exhaust legs.

Tubo

If it ain't broke, I haven't modified it Yet

10/18/2013 5:42 PM  #57

I called Ken at CarChemestry and ordered 4 of the Baffle Builders. Will try them on Miss May first. As that is a bolt together 2.5 Stainless Magnaflow system I can slip a Baffle inbetween joins on different areas of each leg. Presuming I find the short in the 2+2's wiring.
The Vert won't do as I'm installing the Subframe connectors and Cross brace on it. After next weekend when we get back from Tampa Mustang Club Show. The current exhaust dosen't interface with the cross brack so all new will have to be fabricated. Soo Much to do Soo little time. Hehheh

Tubo

10/19/2013 6:23 PM  #58

Steve I had some magnaflow mufflers installed on my 66 coupe. It has a 351w bored .30 over stock mustang manifolds. I did a 2.5" h pipe set up and then I have a gt valance on mine so they bent the tail pipes to come out of it and then cut them on an angle. I love my exhaust on it low tone nice idle drones are next to none. I still have my papers on it I'll have to let ya know what model mufflers

10/19/2013 7:16 PM  #59

Tubo wrote:

During our time travling together at and to the Bash, Glen Buzek told me the drone is very common with the 351/5.0 firing order. A known Fox 5.0 issue. The two legs of a dual exhaust are like two tines of a tuning fork vibrating in synch, the 5.0 firing order is condusive to the Drone Harmonic at 2-2.5k RPM.
Take note of who has issues with "exhaust drone", and who has a 5.0 based engine. There is a distinct parallel.
Tubo

Is there any advantage to the 351/5.0 firing order vs. the older 289/302 FO? I will be putting a roller 5.0 into the 66 pretty soon (90k donor motor w/T-5 that'll keep me rolling while I save up for a Dart based stroker). I probably won't bother with the 5.0 donor since it's all about a budget replacement for the high-mile 302 and will get me into the T-5 from the current C4, but what If one had a roller cam ground that would allow one to use the older FO? I'm planning on the stroker to be internally balanced if that makes any difference. Hmm...

Last edited by McStang (10/20/2013 10:43 PM)

(Pinto!)

10/19/2013 7:53 PM  #60

NASCAR discovered that the 351/5.0 firing order produces the best power. Even the Bow-tie guys are using that firing order in certain LS engines.
Hummmmmm, wonder if thats' why that Chebby Duce with a 350 in Ocean Springs, sounded like my 331??

Tubo

10/19/2013 10:25 PM  #61

McStang wrote:

Tubo wrote:

Tubo

Is there any advantage to the 351/5.0 firing order vs. the older 289/302 FO? I will be putting a roller 5.0 into the 66 pretty soon (90k donor motor w/T-5 that'll keep me rolling while I save up for a Dart based stroker). I probably won't bother with the 5.0 donor since it's all about a budget replacement for the high-mile 302 and will get me into the T-5 from the current C4, but what If one had a roller cam ground that would allow one to use the older FO? I'm planning on the stroker to be internally balanced if that makes any difference. Hmm...

That could be done.  The standard 5.0 from the TC, Crown Vic, and Grand Mq.  had the old fireing order.  The only issue is  if  you are running the mass air EFI and then it will just create a slight idling issue.  What happens is  that while you can change the firing order to match the cam, you can't change the Injector firing order cause it confuses the PCM.  What happens is that at idle you have a few cylenders that have a small puddling issue in the port.

But (TS&T)...if you are running a pot, no problem.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

10/20/2013 5:13 PM  #62

Bullet, why can't you just rewire the injectors so the correct cylinder is getting gas at the right time?  Seems simple enough to do...  Didn't Hakan do that on his?

10/21/2013 10:37 AM  #63

MS, sounds (no pun intended) like you're getting close.   Can you record each muffler (Gibson vs Carchemistry) with the different variables for each, ie, driving, accelerating, idling, in the car, out of the car,  and post them?

10/22/2013 9:50 AM  #64

MS,

If you change the injector harness around, the computer will still get confised since it tries to correlate the O2 readings with a particular cylinder. It can lead to some weird hunting as it chases the right ratio. I went through that when I put the mustang fuel injection on a flathead ford V8. It worked great in the end, but the idle wasn't nearly as smooth as the carbs due to the surging.

To bring this back to the original conversation, I have the california style factory exhaust on my 66 which has two conventional mufflers under the rear seat, and two glass packs on either side of the gas tank. It still has a slight drone at 2500 RPM, but otherwise it is nice and quiet.  I know it would not work for your big block to have 2" pipes, but I just wanted to throw that out there since you were discusing the 4 muffler setup.

BobN

10/22/2013 11:31 AM  #65

MustangSteve wrote:

Bullet, why can't you just rewire the injectors so the correct cylinder is getting gas at the right time?  Seems simple enough to do...  Didn't Hakan do that on his?

Because the O2 sensors will give the computer feedback from the wrong cylinders.  Then the computer will go nuts trying  to get things right with the wrong info coming back.

Just change the dizzy firing order and it'll work fine.  You'll just loose a bit of atomization at idle but off idle things are happening so fast that the  engine won't notice.

Your's probably won't care, Steve, since it's a TB setup and not sequential.
BB

Last edited by Bullet Bob (10/22/2013 11:36 AM)

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

10/22/2013 2:17 PM  #66

Gibson mufflers showed up today.  They are center IN, offset OUT, exactly opposite of what I need.  Now it will cost me $44 to send them back and no telling how much more to get them to send the correct ones.  And I even called to verify where the inlet and outlet were before I ordered !

I may just join 6sally6 and run a straight pipe...

10/22/2013 4:51 PM  #67

MustangSteve wrote:

Gibson mufflers showed up today.  They are center IN, offset OUT, exactly opposite of what I need.  Now it will cost me $44 to send them back and no telling how much more to get them to send the correct ones.  And I even called to verify where the inlet and outlet were before I ordered !
I may just join 6sally6 and run a straight pipe...

.......huh?!

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

10/22/2013 8:27 PM  #68

The mufflers on the Galaxie are just that.  Not to loud but good tone when you get on it.  There quite enough that I can hear the mechanical fan I just installed.  

Dynomax Ultra Flo Welded Mufflers

If it isn't broken...modify it anyway! http://www.DazeCars.com https://galaxieforum.boardhost.com

10/22/2013 9:01 PM  #69

I think the issue is with the high HP 427 pushing alot of air.  I had a pair of the Dynomax mega flows shipped to me but I chickened out and sent them back before installing them, rather opting for the Gibsons.  We'll see how it turns out if I can ever just get the right mufflers in hand!

I guarantee that whatever goes on there this time is what is going to stay! I am tired of messing with it.

10/23/2013 7:50 AM  #70

MustangSteve wrote:

I think the issue is with the high HP 427 pushing alot of air.  I had a pair of the Dynomax mega flows shipped to me but I chickened out and sent them back before installing them, rather opting for the Gibsons.  We'll see how it turns out if I can ever just get the right mufflers in hand!

I guarantee that whatever goes on there this time is what is going to stay! I am tired of messing with it.

I hear turbo chargers will quiet a motor.........I can see it now, twin STS turbos....about 700 hp....that's about right.

65 mustang coupe, 351W, C6-  2800 stall, B&M blower, 9inch- trac-loc 3.70 gears

10/23/2013 10:40 AM  #71

What are people's thoughts about a fastback producing more noticable drone than the coupes and verts? Granted, my coupe and my brother's vert both had only about 250 hp and 2-1/4" pipes, but they sure seemed quieter to me...of course, I was in my 20's then 

1965 Mustang 2+2 EFI

10/23/2013 10:49 AM  #72

Brents65 wrote:

MustangSteve wrote:

I hear turbo chargers will quiet a motor.........I can see it now, twin STS turbos....about 700 hp....that's about right.

Dang it, Brent... You spoiled my surprise for next year's bash...

10/23/2013 12:46 PM  #73

Steve, Please post a recording of your final outcome would love to hear it. 

I made enough money to buy Miami, but pissed it away so fast

10/24/2013 12:26 PM  #74

Did a little test.  Since I had cut the mufflers off the pipes, it was like open headers with a 4' pipe attached.  Started it up and it was LOUD !!!!  Those two little bullet mufflers showed up, so I slipped them on those pipes just for test purposes.. It was LOUD!!  (only two exclamation points instead of three).
Could not tell much difference, so I don't know if I enjoyed wasting the $200 on those puppies.  Still waiting on the new Gibsons to show up.  I will install all four mufflers and call it done, no matter how loud it is.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.