FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/18/2013 9:39 PM  #1

disk brake upgrade

I posted this question on "69 stang forum" and I was directed here. I have power disk up front and drum rear. I want to up grade to 4 wheel disk but only want to do the front right now. I've priced the short stop rotor kits with the slotted rotors for about $225. The only kits I've seen for the conversion on the rear are slotted and drilled. I want them to be the same front and rear, and reasonably priced. Has anyone done this? The car has a fresh 500 hp motor and I want to stop better than stock. Suggestions? Thanks

10/18/2013 9:43 PM  #2

Re: disk brake upgrade

What wheels do you have on the car?

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

10/19/2013 10:40 AM  #3

Magnum 500's 15 inch

Last edited by '70MACH1 (10/19/2013 10:41 AM)

10/19/2013 11:55 AM  #4

Try chockostang.  Dan sells on ebay mostly but I think he has a web site.  He deals with alot of the original type rotors.  If he doesn't have them, I bet he can tell you where to get them.

10/19/2013 1:03 PM  #5

If your not opposed to switching to aftermarket wheels. I recently designed brackets to mount 05-present gt rotors and calipers to 68-73 disc spindles and 74-80 granada spindles. But you would have to change to 17" or bigger wheels. Or I also made one to mount 2010 crown vic rotors and calipers to the same spindles. You would have to change to a min of 16" rim.

10/19/2013 1:16 PM  #6

MS what If he used his stock 11.30" rotors and used 99-04 v6-gt calipers of course it would need a mounting bracket to mount it but you would have a less that 1/6" of extra clearance split between the pads on both sides. I think that would be ok how about you? It would be a caliper upgrade any way you look at it.

10/19/2013 1:48 PM  #7

True74yamaha wrote:

MS what If he used his stock 11.30" rotors and used 99-04 v6-gt calipers of course it would need a mounting bracket to mount it but you would have a less that 1/6" of extra clearance split between the pads on both sides. I think that would be ok how about you? It would be a caliper upgrade any way you look at it.

That doesn't work as easy with the disc brake type spindles.  What I understood was he wants to use stock parts but have drilled/slotted so both front and rear match.  Might consider that you cannot really see them very well through a Magnum wheel, so maybe a slight mismatch would not be noticeable.

10/19/2013 3:29 PM  #8

I see i must have misunderstood

10/21/2013 12:10 PM  #9

I got a flier from R1concepts.com  They show to have alot of drilled/slotted stuff.  Discount code below is good Oct21,22,23 this week only.  Might be worth checking into.

I have no association with R1concepts - just passing on info.

Enjoy 15% Off Sitewide!

[-] Use Promo code: FFDISCOUNT

10/22/2013 12:34 PM  #10

Thanks guys for the info. I really didn't want to change wheels and tires at this time. I was looking for the most economical way to up grade. I will check out R1concepts.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.