FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/21/2013 3:44 PM  #1

Super clean 2000 Ranger 2wd,auto Shot engine, replacement ????

Newer Echo boost 150 with tranny, Mustang 6 with tranny? Goal - adequate power and decent mileage. Dont have a ton of $, thought this could get like new performance with the older yet nicer truck body. Comments??

10/21/2013 7:10 PM  #2

Re: Super clean 2000 Ranger 2wd,auto Shot engine, replacement ????

A Ford Ranger pickup? The way you are asking your questions, it sounds like you want to replace the transmission too. If all you need is a replacement engine look here: Hiperformer.com

Last edited by Hornman (10/21/2013 7:11 PM)

10/21/2013 7:36 PM  #3

If it's not already, upgrade to the 4.0 and 5spd.  Good power and dependability.  If it is a 3.0 and your not finding any replacement engines...a Taurus engine will fit.  I did the swap on my sons ranger.

65 mustang coupe, 351W, C6-  2800 stall, B&M blower, 9inch- trac-loc 3.70 gears

10/21/2013 8:19 PM  #4

Sorry,I have to learn to be more informative. The Ranger is a 4.0 with auto tranny. I was thinking that the newer engine and tranny package would result in the most power without sacrificing good milage.
The eco boost and or the Mustang 6 with their tranny package seem to have high hp for power and yet both result in exelent fuel economy.  Would there be any horrendous problems doing a total transplant?  Engine tranny packages are not much more expensive than buying the engine or transmission alone.  $150 - $200 aadditional  would get you the whole deal, so why not have a new transmission also?

Last edited by 687072mustang (10/21/2013 8:27 PM)

10/21/2013 9:34 PM  #5

687072mustang wrote:

Sorry,I have to learn to be more informative. The Ranger is a 4.0 with auto tranny. I was thinking that the newer engine and tranny package would result in the most power without sacrificing good milage.
The eco boost and or the Mustang 6 with their tranny package seem to have high hp for power and yet both result in exelent fuel economy.  Would there be any horrendous problems doing a total transplant?  Engine tranny packages are not much more expensive than buying the engine or transmission alone.  $150 - $200 aadditional  would get you the whole deal, so why not have a new transmission also?

Careful there. You said new, but you really meant "new to me" or as we call it, Used. You are planning to stick a salvage yard duo in your truck aintcha? That is your pig-in-a-poke situation if you don't plan on rebuilding the engine and tranny. Course the used duo may last the life of the truck straight from the wrecking yard.

10/22/2013 2:51 PM  #6

I'll bet trying to swap an Ecoboost into a 2000 will be more hair pulling and cussing than you would care to try.

10/23/2013 3:33 PM  #7

There's a lot of info out there about putting a 5.0 in a Ranger.  Just sayin

66 Vert.  4.6 DOHC, 4R70 Auto, Heidt's M2 frontend

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.