FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/22/2013 11:35 AM  #1

Spark Plugs

I have about 500 miles on this engine.  I was in the engine compartment and decided to pull the plugs to see what they looked like .  They all looked the same. What do yall think about the look? Running rich? I have noticed there is moisture coming from the tail pipes.  Other than that, the engine runs great.  Thanks!!

1966 Mustang Fastback K-Code,289,T-5, 9-inch rear with 3.50 gears.

10/22/2013 11:52 AM  #2

Re: Spark Plugs

That looks just a tad fat.  'Course if most of your 500 has been  fresh starts and  slow running, you may not be getting a true picture.  Only way to get a true plug reading is to run it at speed and shut it down clean...no idle, no gacking  the  throttle.

As for moisture from the pipes, does it only do that when cold or all the time?  All the time don't sound good.  Does it use any coolant?
That would goof up your plug reading pretty quick.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

10/22/2013 2:10 PM  #3

TMac, Have you notice the amount of water that comes out of the tailpipes of the newer cars!  alot of that is in todays gasoline.  not sure that would bother me. I would say the biggest thing is to drive it long enough toe get it good and hot to evap the moisture.  maybe thats why alot of the newer exhausts are stainless

10/22/2013 2:13 PM  #4

I would put those darned things back in there before you break something !!!!  ABDFI

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

10/22/2013 3:29 PM  #5

I'd pitch the champion plugs.........

10/22/2013 4:48 PM  #6

MustangSteve wrote:

I would put those darned things back in there before you break something !!!!  ABDFI

X-2!
Probably need to do a few/several "side-stepping -of-the-clutch routines" at + 3500RPM's see if you can...."gitter-sidewise" before speed shifting into second.
Ain't that what Mustangs were made for?!!
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

10/22/2013 6:27 PM  #7

I think many of us have forgotten that water is one of the byproducts of combustion.  All of my cars including the "old hoss" spit water, particularly when first started.

As to the plug, it looks about right for the kind of driving you have been doing.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

10/22/2013 6:45 PM  #8

Thanks for the replies y'all!!! MS, I got it all back together without breaking anything!!!

Josh

What plugs would you recommend?

1966 Mustang Fastback K-Code,289,T-5, 9-inch rear with 3.50 gears.

10/22/2013 7:53 PM  #9

Run motorcraft plugs in a Ford and it'll luv you longtime.................lawnmowers like champion plugs

10/22/2013 8:16 PM  #10

6sally6 wrote:

MustangSteve wrote:

X-2!
Probably need to do a few/several "side-stepping -of-the-clutch routines" at + 3500RPM's see if you can...."gitter-sidewise" before speed shifting into second.
Ain't that what Mustangs were made for?!!
6sal6

Heck yeah! And post videos!

65 mustang coupe, 351W, C6-  2800 stall, B&M blower, 9inch- trac-loc 3.70 gears

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.