FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/02/2013 6:34 PM  #1

Has anyone built custom electric steering

Title says it all anyone put electric steering in their mustang?

11/02/2013 9:16 PM  #2

Re: Has anyone built custom electric steering

I spoke last week with a guy that put it on his 68.  I suggested he post some info on here as alot of people are interested.  At $1,650 for electric assist that doesn't change ANY of the actual steering box or components under the car, I would think a R&P unit would be alot better option.  I understand the part about NO PUMP and all that, but still, that price is kind of ridiculous.

Maybe if someone figures out if there is an OEM unit that might come from a salvage yard, THEN we are on to something!

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

11/02/2013 9:19 PM  #3

I purchased the Flaming River unit to install on my 70 Boss clone. Very nice component, sturdy, with extra accessory button/dial to control the amount of power assist. I will install it next Spring or Summer 2014.

11/03/2013 7:59 AM  #4

On TFFN which is a Falcon site they have been talking alot about electric power steering. A couple of the guys are real sharp on the eletrical issues. One of them has used a unit from the junk yard and made it work. Says it cost him about 100.00.

11/03/2013 9:30 AM  #5

When I get to the Coyote conversion. The DOHC 5.0 doesnt have a PS pump on its accessories from the factory. One method that will practical is usung and electric powered pump from a Toyota MR-2. O'course if someone is adapting a Ford unit, that would be better. All a part of decyphering the Coyote's ECU.

Corky

Aside from the fact ya apparrently gotta join TFFN to read it

Last edited by Tubo (11/03/2013 10:22 AM)

If it ain't broke, I haven't modified it Yet

11/03/2013 10:11 AM  #6

pbrownrk wrote:

On TFFN which is a Falcon site they have been talking alot about electric power steering. A couple of the guys are real sharp on the eletrical issues. One of them has used a unit from the junk yard and made it work. Says it cost him about 100.00.

Now that is something I could sign up to.  Let us know if you find out what it came off of.

11/03/2013 10:37 AM  #7

I read somewhere on the old interweb that the Saturn VUE has an under the dash setup. I was chasing the idea and found a web site where someone was selling a controller for the VUE steering column. They used the column down to the firewall and then transition to a shaft/universal joint. The controller allowed you to adjust the amount of assist. Do some googling and you should be able to come up with it.

Here is a start

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/mod-custom-forum/670865-anyone-want-100-electric-power-steering-here-you-go.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Saturn-Vue-Ion-bowtie-Equinox-Electric-power-steering-controller-box-EPAS-/171027023129?hash=item27d2014519&vxp=mtr#ht_1535wt_650

http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/all-ford-techboard/538585-100-power-steering-yes-you-can-use-column-electric-power-assist-system-epas.html

Last edited by KStang (11/03/2013 11:09 AM)

11/03/2013 12:51 PM  #8

Just curious about elec steering. I know honda civics have a similar elec rac to the j cars only is has a wider spread on where the tie rods attach and it's rear steer with very close turn radious

11/03/2013 1:10 PM  #9

True74yamaha wrote:

Just curious about elec steering. I know honda civics have a similar elec rac to the j cars only is has a wider spread on where the tie rods attach and it's rear steer with very close turn radious

I've looked at that one (Honda Civic) several years ago and the motor and related parts on it might be a problem as it's kind of huge. The inner tie rods are attached as close as they are on the GM J-car r&p, so there's unfortunately nothing to win there. Here's how it looks:

11/03/2013 4:26 PM  #10

Oh ok thanks hakan. It was kinda just a thought to just upgrade steering. I've also seen electric steering kits on eBay for vintage cars.

11/04/2013 8:14 AM  #11

MS the sites Kstang list is pretty much the same information as was on the TFFN site. They were using the controller from ebay and the steering unit from a Vue or Saturn and mating it to the Falcon.

11/04/2013 6:23 PM  #12

pbrownrk wrote:

MS the sites Kstang list is pretty much the same information as was on the TFFN site. They were using the controller from ebay and the steering unit from a Vue or Saturn and mating it to the Falcon.

I'll have to go look for one of those, or send the wrecking yard sleuth Ramses to find a couple.  His 66 needs PS as does my 69 T5.

11/04/2013 8:48 PM  #13

MustangSteve wrote:

pbrownrk wrote:

I'll have to go look for one of those, or send the wrecking yard sleuth Ramses to find a couple.  His 66 needs PS as does my 69 T5.

lol

11/04/2013 9:09 PM  #14

I'm still pimpin the MR-2 remote electricly powered hydraulic PS pump.
Keep the PS set up you already have, just delete the power robbing accessory drive.
The underdash unit hasen't proven very effective, from reports I've read. My Buddies at Unisteer sell a conversion kit, I still ain't sold on it. That statement alone should tell, those of you who know me, a lot.

Tubo

If it ain't broke, I haven't modified it Yet

11/10/2013 9:04 PM  #15

Here is a link to a Brand-X site but the info seems real good.
http://www.pro-touring.nl/  

Go to the Camaro Page, then to page 18 and scroll almost to bottom of the page. This guy is using a Saturn Vue steering column that he says he bought for $40.00 plus a UK electronic controller for the steering sensitivity control. Link below

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Corsa-B-C-Kit-Electric-power-steering-controller-box-With-ECU-plug-EPAS-/170917297179?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27cb76fc1b&vxp=mtr

Hope this helps.

11/11/2013 5:42 AM  #16

I was just thinking it would be easy to put a switch on this to change the power assist settings. Say one setting for city driving and one for highway or country.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

11/03/2014 8:49 AM  #17

I recently installed electric power steering in a 1966 Mustang. I did not use a kit, I simply pulled a column style EPS from a newer GM vehicle and then spliced the unit into the original steering column.

The results far exceeded my expectations and the cost was less than $200. I designed a controller that automatically adjusts assist level based on vehicle speed, so that the steering feel is "just right" regardless of speed.

I documented (with pictures) how I went about this on a Vintage Mustang forum. If anyone is interested do a google search for "Best $200 mod ever (EPS)"

or

follow this link to page 7 where the details start: [url=http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/mod-custom-forum/787114-best-200-mod-ever-eps-7.html#post6037649[/url]..

Any questions just ask.
[/url]

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.