FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/13/2013 4:34 PM  #1

Rear glass window in a convertible top?

Years ago, when I had the top replaced on my '65 convertible, I opted for the slightly smaller folding glass window.  After years of being folded up in the boot, the silicon seal between the two pieces of glass just came apart.

I have not consulted anyone for a remedy but I thought I would see if anyone here had any experience with this.  I have the top up so seldom I do not even remember if the whole glass assembly zips out or whether it is all sewn in.

Point is, is that silicon seam replaceable or are there any other options besides a new top?  In retrospect, I do not see how that seam could have held up, being folded in a full 180°.

Last edited by boomyal (4/13/2013 4:51 PM)

4/13/2013 11:07 PM  #2

Re: Rear glass window in a convertible top?

I had a 70 convertible, I put in the new top and window.  , . You need to clean both pieces of  glass  or Plexyglass if that is what you have.
Place the two glasses close tugether with a tape between them.
Place a tape on the outside of each glass abouth 1/4 inch away from the joint. This should leave a 1/2 surface along the line where the two pieces of glass meet. Apply the sililcon on the surface between the two tapes.This should create 1/2 in. wide seal along the outer surface of the glass along the joint line..
After it is dry , remove the tape from both glasses and from inbetween the two glasses.

I do not remember which way does the window folds, but you should put the silicone bead so it is on  the inside of the fold.This should relieve tension on the joint when the glass is folded.

Last edited by Kaz (4/14/2013 8:44 AM)

'69 Q  CODE

4/13/2013 11:29 PM  #3

Re: Rear glass window in a convertible top?

I also had a 70 convertible and had to repair the folding seam.  Similar to Kaz's fix, but I put a piece of 2" masking tape bridging the gap all the way across the rear window, interior side, spanning the gap.  Carefully filled the 1/4" gap (maybe it was a little wider than 1/4" - can't remember) with some high grade clear RTV and immediately placed another piece of 2" wide masking tape along the outside of the window seam, matching the interior tape.  After 24 hours, remove both tapes and had a perfect, smooth seam that lasted for quite a few years.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.