FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/18/2013 12:50 PM  #1

subframes spring towers big blocks n such

I was perusing the swap meet section and read that Mustang Joe was looking for some donor subframes for a 66 thru 68, This got me thinking about using spring towers off a 67-68 in a 65 and runing a 427 or 428cj anybody ever seen anything along tese lines? Make it look stock way coool.

I made enough money to buy Miami, but pissed it away so fast

11/18/2013 1:09 PM  #2

Re: subframes spring towers big blocks n such

I looked in to it and it has been done.  I have a bunch of pictures of one.  The problem occurs when the upper control arms are moved outboard 1".  You will have to shorten the control arms or do "something" to remedy the situation.  Shortening is not that big a deal but it might make the camber curve really aggressive.  I am not sure if the lower control arm pivot point gets changed or not.  I quit investigating after the uppers.

I chose to go with 351W stroker aluminum engine for about the same price as a well-built FE engine, and a WHOLE LOT LIGHTER.  And easier to work on.

But, yes, it can and has been done.  If tinypic was working I would post some pics.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

11/18/2013 3:16 PM  #3

Man I wish I would have taken pictures of notching my shock towers back in the 90's. I had a guy do it by moving the uppers out 1" or so making the entire tower flat and had tons of room with the 289. It aligned OK, but back then I had no comprehension of handling I just wanted it to go fast in a 1/4 mile. After I blew up the 289 I managed to fit a 460 in the car with 69-70 conversion motor mounts. All I needed were headers (was going to use the same 69-70 swap headers) for it to run, but I ended up selling the car I am sure it would have been an ungodly poor mannered handling/stopping car, but would have been fun in straight lines Now I agree with Steve, a stroked Windsor will make plenty of power.

Last edited by Raymond_B (11/18/2013 3:17 PM)

11/18/2013 10:00 PM  #4

There you have it.

11/19/2013 7:23 AM  #5

It was just a wild idea I do remember Holman & Moody built a Mustang FX with tower mods running a 427 medium riser for the strip but one that appeared showroom stock would be so cool.

I made enough money to buy Miami, but pissed it away so fast

11/19/2013 1:26 PM  #6

Doesn't look like Holman & Moody were too concerned about originality.

11/19/2013 1:30 PM  #7

And, if you have to cut out the shock towers completely, and coil-overs haven't been invented yet...

11/19/2013 3:06 PM  #8

I didn't even know Holman & Moody ran EFI. Really ahead of the times.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't get him drunk

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.