FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/19/2013 5:03 PM  #1

Header gaskets

I have a 351w and am installing long tube headers. I bought some Mr Gasket 7161 copper gaskets and they have an elevated oval copper ring around the ports. After installing one side it looks like there is a gap about the size of the embossed oval rings the length of the mounting surface. My question is, should I keep tightening them until it gets flatter or until I think its tight enough. I don't want to strip my aluminum heads and there is no way I can get a torque wrench in there.

11/19/2013 7:48 PM  #2

Re: Header gaskets

First, be sure you bought the correct gaskets.  The oval port Hedman headers you have require an oval port gasket.  If you install rectangle port gaskets, you will have 32 exhaust leaks, one at each corner of every port.

I think the gap you are seeing is the thickness of the welded bead inside the header tube.  That is the only part of the header that touches the gasket surface.  There will always be a gap between the header FLANGE and the HEAD.  That is so there is less surface area to be compressed and will allow the 3/8" bolts to do the job.

Be sure to use anti-seize compound on all bolts going into aluminum heads. Those Edelbrock heads do have stainless steel inserts on the exhaust threads, so you don't have to worry about overtightening and stripping the aluminum heads.  Tell #7 and #8 hello for me.  I have spent many hours with those four bolts.  Bolts with 3/8" hex are alot easier to install on those than are 7/16" hex head bolts.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

11/19/2013 8:38 PM  #3

Yes I bought the exact ones that were on it before. The part number was etched on them and side by side they are the same. Now that I know they have heli coils in them I will tighten then a little tighter. I think you said you made a tool to tighten #7&8. Maybe you can show it to me on Thursday.

11/20/2013 1:52 PM  #4

You said you bought the copper gaskets, I'm curious does anyone recommend using the hardware and gaskets supplied with say a set of JBAs? Someone told me to toss them and get copper.  Also said ditch the hardware and get locking type. I have a 5 oh and JBAs. Recommendation?
Thanks

Last edited by KStang (11/20/2013 1:54 PM)

11/20/2013 2:00 PM  #5

I have new JBA shorties on my 66.   I was not impressed with the gaskets that came with them.  One actually cracked trying to get it in place so it had to be tossed.  I prefer at least a metal backed gasket material, even like the stock Fel-Pro gaskets.  Those copper ones lasted a long time with no problems.

11/20/2013 6:57 PM  #6

The gaskets which came with my JBA shorties have worked quite well; however, what Steve describes is different than what came with mine in '07. The best way I can describe mine is that they are metal coated with 'fuz'. They look like they wouldn't hold up, but I've had them off and on a few times and I've never had a leak.

So, since it sounds like they are using different gaskets, I guess this post is moot 

1965 Mustang 2+2 EFI

11/20/2013 7:08 PM  #7

I have some carbon fiber exhaust gaskets in the drawer.  They look and feel like a piece of felt fabric.  Never have been brave enough to put the on.  Anyone tried that kind?

11/21/2013 8:30 AM  #8

I just bought those same JBA shorties and decided to use the provided gasket.  I normally use the fel-pro (1416?) but since these were new I gave em a try.  So far so good but I only have about 90 minutes on them.

Last edited by JVince (11/21/2013 8:30 AM)

11/21/2013 8:35 AM  #9

The black fuzzy gaskets that came with my JBA shorties are some of the best I have ever used.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.