FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/24/2013 7:26 AM  #1

Autolite 4100 on Weiand 8124 intake, Carb spacer?

This is my 2nd post on this site and looking for more advice.  I am rebuilding the 68 302 2bbl engine in my 68 cougar and have a autolite 4100 carb and just ordered the Weiand 8124 dual plane intake.  The Autolite carb does not have a PCV port so factory installations used the Ford 1 inch spacer plate C30Z-9A589-CR which had a PCV port.  This spacer plate is routed or hollowed out on the bottom to allow PCV venting to the primary chambers.  This works fine if using a factory 4 hole intake manifold which would allow correct sealing.  The Weiand 8124 is a dual plane intake and therefore would not create the correct seal.  Some have said to use a Boss 302 carb spacer.  Any thoughts?

11/24/2013 9:44 AM  #2

Re: Autolite 4100 on Weiand 8124 intake, Carb spacer?

I filled the molding cavities of the spacer with a mixture of epoxy resin and chopped fibreglass matt, then made 1/8 ' aluminum plate traced from the gasket to use under it.
The plate will need a gasket on each side to seal properly.
I don't know if the Weind intake is the same as the Edelbrock Performer but on the driver side of the carb mount there is not enough meat to seal the 4100  carb spacer and results in a horrendous vacuum leak.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

11/24/2013 11:00 AM  #3

Thanks for the reply.  I will look into that method of filling the underside.  The Weiand 8124 does not have the narrow flange issue of the Edelbrock manifold. 

11/24/2013 11:14 AM  #4

Ford had two different spacers.  One vented the PVC to the primaries and the other vented to the secondaries.  I do not know which one was for which application but I hardly think that it matters.  You will have vacumn at all bores whether the butterflies are open or not.

As far as either of them sealing on the Weiand 8124, I'd take a closer look.  I have one out in the shed and would go look at it 'ceptin it is 25° out and I am not dressed yet.  It was my impression that even tho the Weiand base pad was wider that the Edelbrock, it was still not wide enough to seal the bottom of the OEM spacer. 

You can always turn the spacer upside down and let the webs seal to the carb base flange. Or just use the secondary entry spacer and a little side overlap on the mani base will not matter.

Last edited by boomyal (11/24/2013 11:16 AM)

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.