FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/25/2013 5:08 PM  #1

Anyone useing a Rotisserie?

You see them every once in a while on CL. As much as I would like to get a Lift. I just don't have the room in my 1 1/2 car garage with everything else in there and height wise 8'0" trusses, Lift won't work. So is anyone using a rotisserie?  They say they can hold up to 3000 lbs. butt(ts) when you read the fine print it says they are more comfortable at around 900 lbs. Now with my engine, trans, rearend, all suspension out, do you think that would be enough to roll the car on it,s side? I still think I,m pushing 12 to 1400 lbs. All I have ever seen on these things is a bare shell. It sure would be nice to clean and paint everything, run the new brake and fuel lines. Install some of the suspension then roll the car back over and still have it 24 to 36 inches high off the ground, and when your completely done with it sell it to someone else on CL. Is anyone one rebuilding their car on one? Thanks.

Last edited by Quicksilver (11/25/2013 5:10 PM)

Member since 2003, Mustang Steve has always been my homepage. 67 FastBack..Future engine is currently my coffee table

11/25/2013 5:22 PM  #2

Re: Anyone useing a Rotisserie?

I bought a Whirly Jig based on a strong recommendation from another Mustang guy.  It has essentially a full frame that is useful when working on a convertible.  Some of the lower-quality units use the car body as part of the stiffness of the rotisserie.  If you have a coupe or fastback that is not too badly rusted you may get away with one of these.  The Whirly Jig has a 3000 pound capacity.  It has a large footprint which may be an issue in your garage.  Let us know the extent of the work you are doing and how far you have to tear into it.  If you need any pics, let me know.  http://www.whirlyjig.com/

11/25/2013 5:27 PM  #3

This is the model rotisserie I have and these are the people I got my rotisserie from:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/121076195325?nav=VI&sbk=1

11/25/2013 7:57 PM  #4

Ultrastang,
Good comparison video on that e-bay site. I believe their unit is the same as the one CJ Pony sells. CJ's shows a total height of 7'6" Do you know the total length of yours with your car on it? Are you guys just lifting an empty shell? The Whirly Jig is a lot more beefy butt(ts) I'm not sure I have enough room for the lower framework in my small garage.

Member since 2003, Mustang Steve has always been my homepage. 67 FastBack..Future engine is currently my coffee table

11/25/2013 9:01 PM  #5

I just have the shell on mine but yes the footprint of the Whirley Jig is big.  Only recommendation I can make is regardless of the make/model is to be sure to properly mount the rear of the car.  Some only mount to the bumper attachment point and this is not really strong enough to support the car without bending or flexing the rear panels - others may say that you can get away with it but I wouldn't support my car that way.  You need to also put framework to attach into the frame rails below.  I'll try to shoot some pics to show you how I did it on my setup tomorrow.

The front rails are pretty easy because you can mount right to the frame rails at the bumper bracket attachment points.

11/25/2013 9:29 PM  #6

Their Ebay ad is confusing. On their website they list the rotissiere at 995.00 but then you have to upgrade it to 3000LB rating. Is the Ebay unit already upgraded?

I was looking at this setup http://www.derekweaver.com/rodders-garage/auto-rotisserie/w-rotisserie/

But the Ebay ad has me thinking.

11/25/2013 10:19 PM  #7

Quote on capacity rating from ebay ad:

"3000 lbs. capacity (if you shorten the arms that hold the car and double bolt at all corners of the car frame) like the other twirler (their demo has the normal 15" arms cut to 6")"

The purpose of putting a vehicle on a rotisserie it to make it much easier to get at the frame rails/unibody floor pans, underside, etc. If the vehicle is not disassembled, it would make working on the various areas of the vehicle very difficult, if not virtualy impossible.

Since the object of putting the vehicle on the rotisserie is to obtain a far greater level of quality in redoing the vehicle, I don't really see that the 3000# load rating capacity really matters since a bare Mustang shell isn't going to weigh any where near that anyway.

My '68 has been hanging on my rotisserie for over 3 years now with no problems and I didn't shorten the attaching arms on it. --it is also attched to the bumper mounting holes in the rear (with attaching brackets I made). The panel has not bent or distorted in all the time the hull has been hanging there. --not to say it couldn't happen but, it hasn't been a problem on my car.

11/25/2013 10:24 PM  #8

OK I get it, the ad just reads weird. They are doing a comparison, which I knew, but saying it kinda backwards. If I want 3k capacity I need to do that stuff or buy their kit. I don't need that since the car will be a shell. The Chinese knock off they compare to looks just like the Derek Weaver setup

I do like the leaf spring adapters that come with the DW setup, but I am sure I could either make some or buy a set.

11/26/2013 10:28 AM  #9

Looking closer at the site they offer some leaf spring brackets for 35.00. Made in USA, better design, etc definitely makes that a better buy than the DW one I was looking at. Now I just need to decide on casters, I am pretty sure I need the upgraded ones since I have a fairly rough asphalt area that I'll need to roll the car around on.

11/26/2013 11:09 AM  #10

contact Hakan,he made one himself

looks cool and not that expensive
(if i remember correctly ,there is a topic on this board on that )

Tonie

11/26/2013 7:23 PM  #11

I am using one of the autotwirler rotisserie's with the ball bearing supports.  This makes it very easy to rotate the car to any postition and you can lock it in postion. 

It has been extremely helpful. 

My garage is very small but have been able to utilize it pretty well.  The wheels allow me to move my car in and out of the garage by myself.

Doesnt replace a lift as mentioned earlier you wouldn't want to put a car on it with the drivetrain still installed.

11/27/2013 12:17 PM  #12

Home made copy of one that works.  Can't promise it was cheaper than buying one built, but it worked like a charm.  Hauled it on a car carrier to a paint booth and back about 40 miles away. I did connect the ends with additional square tube and got rid of the strap shortly after the last picture was taken.  I think it's living in Colorado right now.  Haven't kept track of it very well...

11/27/2013 3:43 PM  #13

If anyone out there is interested, and has time for another project, here's a link to Free plan to build a rotisserie yourself:  http://redwingsteelworksplans.com/2013/02/02/auto-rotisseries-everything-you-ever-wanted-to-know-and-more/

And a Happy Thanksgiving to y'all!
Pablo

11/27/2013 4:08 PM  #14

Years ago, 1975 I made an engine stand. Since I am a bit conservative, it was quiet strong and higher than any you buy, since I like to stand straight and not hunch over when I work. Then came the need for a rotator for the car, so I made an adapter to fit the front frame rails for the engine stand and made a simple stand for the rear. A couple of 2 X 4's and some clamps to connect the two ends together and I was in business. I did weld in some reinforcement in the car before I picked it up to assure everything would stay put.

11/27/2013 4:29 PM  #15

i bought this one in u.k for £550 around $750 us had to do some fabwork for mounting brackets

11/27/2013 5:37 PM  #16

i made mine years ago......

11/27/2013 5:48 PM  #17

that car was a 1964 1/2 vert (K) code hipo that we had put in auction 2 years later in B/J no sale @ 48,000  then trailered it home and sold it for 50.000 in 1989

Last edited by jgstang (11/27/2013 5:49 PM)

11/28/2013 2:53 PM  #18

Thanks for all the replys!
Well first thing to notice is all the pictures have cars that are just shells only. Mine has all the interior all done with the front fenders hung as well as the trunk on it and all glass, Butt, Nothing else is on or in the car. Do you all think this much additional weight would be to much for a rotisserie? It sure would be nice to have this car on it's side doing all the under cleaning, painting, running all the new fuel, brake, and trunk batt. lines. Mounting some suspension parts too. All without laying on my back, instead standing up. I think time factor would be well worth the cost of the rotisserie. However after reading about the possible frame and body warpage because of my extra weight on the car... I don't know what to think now. From what I can see my car is a completely Calif. rust free underbody.

11/29/2013 1:38 AM  #19

I too built my own rotisserie, using 2-1/2" well casing pipe, casters and other spare steel I had on hand. Total out of pocket cost, nada. I've had my 69 Mach on it several times without any body misalignment. I believe enough folks have used them without issue for you to not give it much concern, especially since you have a solid car. However, my free advice is probably worth what you paid for it.

Bob

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

11/30/2013 10:04 AM  #20

I have had my car with everything but engine and tranny on the spit. Remember though, if your brackets are not such that the pivot of your Rotisserie is right on the center of gravity of the car, rolling it can be disaster! The heavier the hulk, the worse the problem of rolling it. When it is sitting there upside down on the thing and you are alone, getting it back over can be nearly impossible. Removing all the stuff you should have taken off before when it is upside down does not come natural.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.