FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/26/2013 3:36 AM  #1

anyone using a alum fuel line

anyone using a alum fuel line from tank to pump on a road car?
? is it durable enough to take a hammering from stonechipes etc with alloy being thinner

11/26/2013 7:57 AM  #2

Re: anyone using a alum fuel line

I wouldn't due to vibration, flexing of car and engine, and the corrosiveness of oxygenated fuels, alcohol, etc.  On our drag car fairlane running alcohol, we would have to swap out fuel bowl and metering block, if not whole Carb at end of season, as alcohol would eat the aluminum over time.

11/26/2013 8:43 AM  #3

Cougrnut brings up a good point. There's ah lot of ethanol in our gas these day's .And perhaps even more to come. There's alot of unknown's about it's long term affects on older cars. We know It likes to eat rubber hoses and brass carb floats. It also attracts water which will rust steel gas tanks. I think based on these issues alone ,stainless would be the way to go.

It's hard to type "funny"

11/26/2013 10:30 AM  #4

Well........I've had an Alum. fuel line for YEARS...with zero problems. I ran my Alum. line inside a n old rubber air hose(like for using pneumatic tools). I can't remember the inside dia. butt it was a perfect fit. The rubber tubing helped prevent kinking when making bends....helped protect from rocks/road debris.
...help insulate the fuel from the tank....makes  car guys cring when they think(this dude has a rubber fuel line!!..what a doof)!
Real "shade-tree" approach,I know, butt has worked great for the last.......8/9 years.
Let's face it.......I don't plan to drive on many loose gravel roads...or do any rock crawling....salted winter roads...heck, I try not to even drive it in the rain!
Got it by the roll from PAW..which is now out of business...butt-eye think Summit has it.
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

11/26/2013 1:00 PM  #5

With the Congress mandated gasohol most of us have to buy, I would NEVER install an aluminum gas line. I have seen too many aluminum carb bodies eat up by ethanol.

Sally, I suspect that you are really running a rubber fuel line be now. I doubt there is much of that aluminum line left.

Buy a repro stock line or some tubing from the parts store and bend your own, but put in steel. Stainless steel is even better, but it is a PITA to work with.

11/26/2013 2:54 PM  #6

I replaced all the brake and fuel lines a while ago with stainless so I never have to do them again.
 I agree that SS is a bit more demanding but if you can do the job with ordinary materials you shoud be able to handle stainless.
 As a bonus it do look so good when polished!

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

11/26/2013 8:52 PM  #7

An unsolicited statement, I use steel line. This is my thinking, steel lines have lasted almost half century
and the originals even longer under certain conditions. So with our pampered "never in the rain always in the garage" Mustangs, the fuel lines life at least doubled!! What's the point? The line will probably outlive us?
Howard

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.