FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/27/2013 5:49 PM  #1

Aluminum Wheels

Has anyone had problems with Aluminum Rims not holding air??  My factory 06 wheels leak during winter months. I've read about the porisity of the alum causing them to leak?  Any solutions??  I should have made Ford replace them, not sure why I didn't DUUUHHHHH

11/27/2013 6:22 PM  #2

Re: Aluminum Wheels

I've always had problems with my daily drivers that have aluminum rims.  About the only thing you can do is check air pressure once a month.

Steve69

11/27/2013 6:35 PM  #3

Steve69 wrote:

I've always had problems with my daily drivers that have aluminum rims.  About the only thing you can do is check air pressure once a month.

Steve69

Once a month is not enough for these!!  I have to air them up once a week!!!

11/27/2013 7:14 PM  #4

terry wrote:

Has anyone had problems with Aluminum Rims not holding air??  My factory 06 wheels leak during winter months. I've read about the porisity of the alum causing them to leak?  Any solutions??  I should have made Ford replace them, not sure why I didn't DUUUHHHHH

Terry,try filling them with nitrogen,fatter molecules than oxygen, less prone to leaking thru porous materalls....jj

"Never put a question mark where God put a period "  Richard Petty

11/27/2013 7:29 PM  #5

may look into that!!  not sure where i could get it done but will keep it in mind

11/27/2013 9:23 PM  #6

What about spray painting the inside of the rims with Plasti-Dip?  Orta hold air then!
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

11/27/2013 9:34 PM  #7

I had a set several years ago that did the same thing.  Thought it was the tires at first, changed them and had the same problem.  Removed the tires and snow roofed the tube wells.  After two days reinstalled the tires and the problem went away.  I used snow roof because I had some on the self that I used on my travel trailer roof.  The stuff wicks it way into all the little pores.  I am sure there is something better, but it worked.

L8tr

Steve

66 coupe, Now a 11 year garage ornament.

11/27/2013 10:51 PM  #8

tanya's mini cooper wheels tend to leak.  i took one to dicount tire and there was some dirt around the bead.....holding air now...........that problem is much preferred vs her notorious "find a pothole" routine....

11/28/2013 8:03 AM  #9

I have aluminum rims on my 66, my wife's 05 GT and my F-150.  They all hold air great.  I very seldom have to add. Double check the valve cores to make sure they are tightened properly.  This is an easy check and the tire installers don't always get them snug.

Bash Host MSBB XVI.       BobC    1966 Mustang Coupe

11/28/2013 10:30 AM  #10

Living in upstate NY with the salt on the roads and the corrosion that goes with it I don't think I have ever owned a daily driver with aluminum rims that didn't leak.  You either have to replace the rims, invest in "flex seal" or check the tire pressure very week or two.

65 mustang coupe, 351W, C6-  2800 stall, B&M blower, 9inch- trac-loc 3.70 gears

11/28/2013 11:41 AM  #11

Like others, I have had leaks with aluminum wheels too.  If those are original tires, its probably time to change them out due to age.  When the tires are off the rims, the techs should clean up the tire seating surface with a wire brush.  If the use a bead sealer (glue) when they install the new tires, the leaks go away.  (Shameless plug alert!) If they are newer tires, find a Discount Tire store near you.  They fix all flats and slow leaks for free at stores near me.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.