FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/30/2013 3:23 PM  #1

Scott Drake Rally Pack?

Anyone using the Scott Drake 6K Rally Pac on their '65? They are not hooded like the OEMs and they are more expensive than you can find OEMs on ebay, but they may have better tachs and better clocks?  Another thing for sure is that they will probably look a lot fresher than some of OEMs.

They also say that they are the only ones that work with electronic ignitions.  I have a Pertronix ignitor in my convertable.

Last edited by boomyal (11/30/2013 4:00 PM)

11/30/2013 9:57 PM  #2

Re: Scott Drake Rally Pack?

i have not but, i took an orig and modified it!  put a good tack and replaced the clock with a temp gauge....i like it but always up for new ideas! i've restored these cars so long stock having something differant is nice.

11/30/2013 11:40 PM  #3

JG, what is the gauge diameter?  Does that tach work with a Pertronix Ignitor?  I googled them and they are not cheap.  I'd have to find an OEM housing pretty cheap to justify updating it.  You would still have the issue of wear/appearance of the housing.

Maybe I will just wait for a CJ Pony 30% off sale and settle for aftermarket.

Last edited by boomyal (11/30/2013 11:43 PM)

12/01/2013 12:27 PM  #4

i think 2 1/8" and the fit was really nice, they were approx 50.00 eh at the time..as for working with efi/or i never asked ??

12/02/2013 6:41 PM  #5

​I built my own Rally Pak from a rough casting I bought from Ebay.  I mounted an aftermarket tach and engine vacuum gauge.  The tach does work with the Petronix ignition.
Good luck with your project

Bash Host MSBB XVI.       BobC    1966 Mustang Coupe

12/02/2013 8:03 PM  #6

Bob, looks real good.  It appears to be he higher profile '66 style unit.  My '65 has the base horizontal speedometer.  Do you have any links for the bare casting?

12/03/2013 6:37 AM  #7

Sorry Boom, I checked Ebay and there is no longer a listing or the seller that I purchased from.  I built mine quite a few years ago.

Bash Host MSBB XVI.       BobC    1966 Mustang Coupe

12/03/2013 12:40 PM  #8

boomyal wrote:

Anyone using the Scott Drake 6K Rally Pac on their '65? They are not hooded like the OEMs and they are more expensive than you can find OEMs on ebay, but they may have better tachs and better clocks?  Another thing for sure is that they will probably look a lot fresher than some of OEMs.

They also say that they are the only ones that work with electronic ignitions.  I have a Pertronix ignitor in my convertable.

FWIW, I'm using an Oval Industries Rally Pac which uses a current driven tach like the originals did. I have it inline to the hot wire on my coil and it seems to work fine, even with my EFI setup. I've used stock Rally Pacs with both the Duraspark and MSD (with tach adaptor) ignitions.

That said, I'd probably get a Scott Drake for ease of installation and continued operation of your ignition even if the tach fails.

1965 Mustang 2+2 EFI

12/04/2013 3:13 PM  #9

I have a Gift cert from Scot Drake, the parchment 8 k Rally PAC has been out of stock for 8 months

Each time I refresh the order it says not in stock!!

Jimmy O

12/04/2013 3:29 PM  #10

boomyal wrote:

Any tach that reads off the negative side of the coil should work fine with a Pertronix.
I've been using a tach with a Pertronix II in my '67 coupe for years.
I think when those tachs that say they won't work with electronic ignition they are talking about MSD and the like.

12/05/2013 8:33 PM  #11

Fastbackbhoy wrote:

I have a Gift cert from Scot Drake, the parchment 8 k Rally PAC has been out of stock for 8 months

Jimmy O

Mine is the '65 high profile which comes in black. I decided that I'd prefer it to be the medium blue that the dash panel is so I disassembled the brand new Rally Pac and gave it a few LIGHT coats of factory color paint. It looks factory and still retains the camera case finish. You may not want to do that on a brand new unit, but I wouldn't want to wait 8+ months either.

1965 Mustang 2+2 EFI

12/05/2013 9:55 PM  #12

Jeff in GA wrote:

Fastbackbhoy wrote:

Jimmy O

Mine is the '65 high profile which comes in black. I decided that I'd prefer it to be the medium blue that the dash panel is so I disassembled the brand new Rally Pac and gave it a few LIGHT coats of factory color paint. It looks factory and still retains the camera case finish. You may not want to do that on a brand new unit, but I wouldn't want to wait 8+ months either.

What is the difference between the high and the low profile rally pac?  I thought it had to do with the horizontal speedometer vs the round speedometer.  Doesn't the high profile interfere with the horizontal speedometer?

12/06/2013 12:04 PM  #13

Jgstang's pic is the high profile and BobC's is the low profile. The low profile provides more clearance for the round speedometer. That said, I had a high profile in my old '65 GT (round gauges) and don're remember having any problems reading it.

1965 Mustang 2+2 EFI

12/06/2013 1:39 PM  #14

Jeff in GA wrote:

Jgstang's pic is the high profile and BobC's is the low profile. The low profile provides more clearance for the round speedometer. That said, I had a high profile in my old '65 GT (round gauges) and don're remember having any problems reading it.

CJ Pony shows the low profile RP for the '65 and the high profile for the '66.  The problem is that they show neither of them in relation to any instrument cluster.  And I might add, they are all pretty pricey

EDIT:  I noticed that I have the profiles reversed.  The high profile has the solid bar between the gauges and sits on top of the steering column.  The later low profile does not have this bar and its clamp is higher up between the gauges causing the gauges to sit lower in relation to the steering column and instrument cluster.

If anyone has either of these installed with the horizontal speedometer, please post some pictures.  I would like to see them both.. BobC posted a nice pic of the low profile with the round speedometer.

Last edited by boomyal (12/06/2013 2:08 PM)

12/11/2013 4:51 PM  #15

boomyal wrote:

.......If anyone has either of these installed with the horizontal speedometer, please post some pictures.  I would like to see them both.. BobC posted a nice pic of the low profile with the round speedometer.

Still hoping that some one has pictures of both the hi and low profile rally pacs in  a '65 with a horizontal speedometer (not the round gauges).

12/11/2013 8:55 PM  #16

This is the only one I could find on a Google search. It's zoomed in a bit tight so you'll have to use your imagination a bit. The '65 RPs are considered the high profile. I assume that is because of the center 'bridge' between the gauges. From what I've seen online, the '66 RP gauges sit nearly 1/2" higher than the '65.

1965 Mustang 2+2 EFI

12/11/2013 11:11 PM  #17

Jeff, I think the picture you posted is of the later 'low profile' RP. ie the one that was meant to not interfere with the bigger round gauges.  I think you are right that the 'bridge' on the '65 model makes the RP sit higher.

I really like the way the one you posted fits with the horizontal speedo.  It is sad that those repro models are the most expensive.

12/12/2013 5:09 AM  #18

I'm finding all the usual suppliers are out of the low profile Scott Drake Rally pacs, except Mustangs Unlimited (or any others) who carry the Oval Industries brand.   I understand the Oval Ind. one is more correct on the face but has a plastic housing.

Jeff, can you post a pic of yours?    In your opinion, how does it look compared to a Ford unit?

12/12/2013 10:13 AM  #19

gjz30075 wrote:

I'm finding all the usual suppliers are out of the low profile Scott Drake Rally pacs, except Mustangs Unlimited (or any others) who carry the Oval Industries brand.   I understand the Oval Ind. one is more correct on the face but has a plastic housing.

Jeff, can you post a pic of yours?    In your opinion, how does it look compared to a Ford unit?

It seems that Mustang Unlimited only carries the low profile unit in variations of color and/or RPM.  They do indicate that it is made out of die cast metal but they do not specify a brand name.

A difference I see between all the aftermarked units and the OEMs are the lack of a hooded lip on the AM units.  I do like the idea of being able to paint the housing to match the dash color.  Don't know if the OEMs were color coordinated.

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=173604+01

12/12/2013 4:40 PM  #20

Saw this one today at the Mustang Shop that I usually buy from, it has one little blem in the paint about a 1/4' square. He wants $350 for it.  I think it's a Scott Drake.

66 Vert.  4.6 DOHC, 4R70 Auto, Heidt's M2 frontend

12/12/2013 7:23 PM  #21

MAW wrote:

Saw this one today at the Mustang Shop that I usually buy from, it has one little blem in the paint about a 1/4' square. He wants $350 for it.  I think it's a Scott Drake.

Do you have any contact information?  That is the first repro that I have seen that has the OEM hooded lip at the top of the gauges.

12/12/2013 11:03 PM  #22

gjz30075 wrote:

This is the Oval Industries. I've also had an original '65 RP, and to be honest, I'm not sure id be able to tell them apart. The oval industries housing is cast like the original, is wired just like the original, and has a quartz clock like most of the originals have since been converted to   

Out of the box

I wanted mine to blend more with the dash so I painted it the same color as the interior (like many of the '66 RPs were)

Mounted in ca

Sorry I don't have any better pics. The RP gauges are hooded. To clarify my previous post, the bridge on the '65 RP is obviously higher, but the gauges on the '66 RP are higher than the '65 by nearly 1/2".

1965 Mustang 2+2 EFI

12/12/2013 11:40 PM  #23

Jeff, do you have any links for that?  I googled Oval Industries and only came up with Blue Oval Industries.  Google is full of negative links about them.  I did go to their sight  (Blue Oval Industries) and they did not seem to have any early stuff.  A search for Rally Pacs only came up with about three exhaust components.

I like that you painted yours to match the dash. Did you remove the gauges to do that.  Your picture shows the hooded upper lip that I cannot discern any Scott Drake or others. Is the tach 6 or 8 k?

12/13/2013 7:55 PM  #24

I bought mine from Sacramento Mustang through eBay for about $350 back in 2007. I see on their website that they carry both the Oval Industries (concours style, officially Ford licensed) and the Scott Drake reproductions. You can click the link below and they have a video on the differences between the two. I do take exception to the fact that they say that the OEM and the Oval Industries will not read correctly and bounce around at 1,500 RPM with anything but a non-factory ignition. I've used them with the Ford Duraspark, MSD (with tach adaptor), and no with the Ford EFI.

http://store.sacramento-mustang.com/1965-mustang-rally-pac-oem-style-p42.aspx

It is worth noting, according to the video, that only the Oval Industries is liscensed to say Mustang. The Scott Drake apparently does not.

You may want to give National Parts Depot a call if you are interested in the Ford licensed RP. They list it on their website for $335 and the picture is the licensed one, but I'd check anyway.

1965 Mustang 2+2 EFI

12/13/2013 9:03 PM  #25

Was just about to post that Sacramento Mustang video link - funny. Anyway, it's a pretty good run down of the Scott Drake options although almost none of those seem to be available anywhere. I like the Rally Pac but think I'm going to do this instead of either a RP or aftermarket 6-gauge bezel:

http://www.cjponyparts.com/classic-instruments-6-gauge-set-hot-rod-series-1965-1966/p/MU65HR35/

I really like the simplicity of the '66 dash (and the whole car for that matter)... it also seems like the little tach in the Classic Instruments gauge will work pretty much as well as a RP mounted tach. I want orange needles though so will probably have to pay MSRP and order direct from CI.

Ulitmately cool would be a HUD that popped up on the canopy when appropriate, - 'she's about to blow cap'n!' - have to talk to some of the tech guys about how to retrofit that into the 'stang.

(Pinto!)

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.