FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/01/2013 10:02 AM  #1

Rod length at brake pedal

I have a '65 GT fastback that is bone stock. It seems that the brake pedal hangs a little low. What is the correct length of the rod that connects the pedal to the master cylinder? I want to check this first. Then does anyone make an adjustable one to raise the pedal?
Thanks!

12/01/2013 5:52 PM  #2

Re: Rod length at brake pedal

What was on it before it was disassembled?

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

12/01/2013 7:25 PM  #3

MS
I just read where the push rod should be 6-7/16" long and will confirm mine tomorrow. I am not sure if this is the one I pulled off the car two years ago, as it looks a little different. I did bled the system again and there is a firm pedal, just a little low.
Thanks!

12/01/2013 9:41 PM  #4

Did you adjust the rear shoes out tight against the drum?

12/15/2013 8:32 AM  #5

MS
Good morning all! I adjusted the rear drums my 65 fastback. When I got back inside the car I put tape measure to the backside of the brake pedal along the chrome trim at the top. I measure five and half inches between the back of the pedal to the floorboard with no carpet or insulation installed. Is that about right or is the pedal still hanging too low? Manual disc brakes up front everything stock.
thank you

12/15/2013 4:10 PM  #6

I measured the pushrod from the tip to the center of the hole it's only 6 inches. I believe it's supposed to be 6-7/16". Can anyone confirm?
Thanks!

12/16/2013 3:10 PM  #7

I measured an original 65/66 mc rod.  It measures 6.0" from center of large hole to the tip of the small end.

12/16/2013 4:53 PM  #8

Are you running an original master cylinder?  Is the M/C different from the one that you were running before?  If it is not the same M/C, the hole depth in the piston or the piston hole depth to M/C mounting flange distance may be different.  The pedal ratio can multiply a small difference at the M/C to a fairly big difference at the pedal.  I am assuming that the piston is properly installed and that it is fully retracting as well.  I don't have mine installed so I can't measure.

If you have convinced yourself that the rod is the incorrect lenght even though it is the same as stock, Virginia Classic Mustangs sells an adjustable pushrod.  I would check other fitment first.

http://www.virginiaclassicmustang.com/ADJUSTABLE-BRAKE-MASTER-CYLINDER-PUSH-ROD-P398.aspx

12/16/2013 5:14 PM  #9

I found some more info from a search - on one post - 
i took a look at some of the info i have..   the single reservoirs master cylinders seem to have a push rod depth of 1.30 inches.. there is one version with a 1.45 inches.. 

If I read my old M/C correctly, it is 1.45 inches from the face of the piston to the bottom of the hole.  That difference may be significant based on pedal ratios.  I am not sure but I think stock is 5:1 so this would give you 3/4" more pedal "height".

12/16/2013 6:03 PM  #10

GPatrick wrote:

I found some more info from a search - on one post - 
i took a look at some of the info i have..   the single reservoirs master cylinders seem to have a push rod depth of 1.30 inches.. there is one version with a 1.45 inches.. 

If I read my old M/C correctly, it is 1.45 inches from the face of the piston to the bottom of the hole.  That difference may be significant based on pedal ratios.  I am not sure but I think stock is 5:1 so this would give you 3/4" more pedal "height".

If you measure the master cylinder from the mounting flange to the piston inside, they are all 1.0".  The part sticking inside the firewall is inconsequential.  It is difficult to get that measurement without some math involved, but every one I have seen from 1964 to 2004 (with exception of hydroboost units) use a 1" depth.  That goes for manual brakes as well as power brakes.

Last edited by MustangSteve (12/16/2013 6:03 PM)

12/16/2013 6:23 PM  #11

I get 1" on mine as well - probably just different castings for the part extending into the firewall as you mention.  One of the hazards of google searches - sometimes it just ain't right!

12/16/2013 9:15 PM  #12

Thank you everyone for your help! On my '65 GT fastback, the MC is stock, along with all other components. That said, I am going to bleed the system again. Currently, I have about five inches between the floor pan and the back of the pedal, no carpet or insulation. From the '65 chassis manual, it should be about six and three quarters. The main thing, will be to get the car running and test it out! Still a few months out on that...
Thank you!

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.