FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/05/2013 6:27 AM  #1

Used Daze's method on pulling out a pilot bushing from Crankshaft.

It worked pretty well.   You shoot some greese in the pilot bushing hole until its completely full.  Then I took an old ford Lug nut and put bolt in it and cut it off.  Its the perfect size to fit in the pilot bushing hole.  Tap with a hammer and the bushing comes out with the pressure.  Had to pull the lug nut out and put some more grease in but it worked.  The fastest I've ever pulled one out without swearing...LOL

Thanks
Steve69

12/05/2013 10:32 AM  #2

Re: Used Daze's method on pulling out a pilot bushing from Crankshaft.

What part does the grease do?

12/05/2013 11:00 AM  #3

If your steel stock or Lug nut fits snug in the center of the pilot bushing.  I think the pressure you apply on the Grease pushes the bushing out.  Not sure why but it does work. 

Steve69

12/05/2013 12:03 PM  #4

boomyal wrote:

What part does the grease do?

Think of grease like brake fluid only thicker.  Just like brake fluid the grease doesn't compress so when you push in on the grease in the middle, it pushes to the side and out on the bushing.  For best results I use a shaft the exact same diameter as the bushing ID.  Even with that I usually have to add more grease at least once sometimes more than that.  The only issue with this method is cleaning up all the grease afterwords.

If it isn't broken...modify it anyway! http://www.DazeCars.com https://galaxieforum.boardhost.com

12/05/2013 12:31 PM  #5

Another good tool to use is the clutch alignment tool that came with your new clutch.  I'm guessing they are still packaging them with the disc and pressure plate.  I used to use the really thick front wheel bearing grease, but I haven't seen that in some years now.
Enjoy

12/05/2013 6:20 PM  #6

use some bread instead of grease.......you read that right.........easier to clean.....

12/15/2013 3:14 PM  #7

Ive tried everything in the book...by far, my kids play doh worked the best...grease was a freaking mess Nd wasnt working that good...playdoh worked perfect...lol

12/16/2013 6:21 AM  #8

Thanks for all the Great Idea's   All my kids Play doh was dried up..LOL  Ill give the Bread a try next time. 

Steve69

12/16/2013 6:48 AM  #9

I borrowed a pilot bearing puller and a slide hammer from O'Reilly's and mine came right out.  

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

12/16/2013 8:57 AM  #10

I use a 3/4 inch National course tap with a square socket on inpact wrench. Takes about three seconds
to push out bushing.Tap threads in bushing, bottoms out in crankshaft hole and pushes out bushing.
Used this method the last forty years or so. Hasen't failed yet. Just blow out cuttings when finished.
Howard

Last edited by hmartin025 (12/18/2013 3:34 PM)

12/18/2013 7:34 AM  #11

josh-kebob wrote:

use some bread instead of grease.......you read that right.........easier to clean.....

yup, works perfect. that's how i did my last one.

12/18/2013 11:29 AM  #12

I had a noisy rear end in my Fairlane when I was a kid.  My dad told me to shove a banana in it, so I did and the noise was considerably less noticeable until it broke!

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.