FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/07/2013 3:33 PM  #1

Rebuild PS pump tips

Okay I found baking soda my power steering pump from when I had the car blasted (yes, everything was wrapped). My question is when I do the rebuild are there any tips along the way as this is a first time. 1965 mustang fastback
thanks

12/07/2013 5:35 PM  #2

Re: Rebuild PS pump tips

Can't you just flush it out?

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

12/07/2013 6:12 PM  #3

If the power steering pump was in the car I assume the wireing was still in it.The soda gets into every connection on the car and you can look forward to replaceing every switch on the car. You will find soda in places you can't imagine. Be sure to neutralize the soda and sand the car very well before spraying any primer or you will have adhesion problems.The problem is the adhesion problems and the electrical will not show up untill 6 to 12 months down the road. Ask me how I know.

12/07/2013 8:58 PM  #4

MS, how would I flush it and with what?
Steve-G I have all new wiring, new everything. Just need to flush or rebuild the ps pump.
Thanks!

12/08/2013 5:28 PM  #5

I just rebuilt the entire power steering system on my 67 about 2 months ago . The pump was very straight foward. They offer two kits a reseal kit and a rebuild kit. I used the rebuild kit that included vaines and bushings. Disassemble clean reassemble  nothing unusual. Now the control valve and cylinder I had to do little research on.

12/08/2013 5:34 PM  #6

Thank you Steve G!
I think I just need to rebuild the pump I doubt there is baking soda in the lines but I did remove the lines and flush that part of it so it did look clean thanks or one

12/15/2013 12:00 PM  #7

I referred to the '65 shop manual section 3, but did not find any directions on rebuilding the power steering pump. Does anyone have any directions or manual?
thank you

12/15/2013 12:45 PM  #8

Is it an Eaton or Thompson style pump?

PM me an email address I can attach a file to, and I will send you a MS Word file of the instructions I send with my pump rebuild kits.

12/15/2013 1:23 PM  #9

Thank you Stanger53
I sent you a PM with my email. I have the Thompson style pump and have the can off. There is a threaded piece for the supply hose.  Once I took the can off, the threaded piece is loose? Is that okay?

12/15/2013 1:52 PM  #10

Rebuilt ones are dirt cheap and come with a warrantee. Got mine from Macs Auto in Lockport years and years ago , it still works just fine-
Some things are just not worth messing with!

Last edited by Rudi (12/15/2013 1:53 PM)

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

12/15/2013 2:48 PM  #11

Remember, Cleanliness is before Godliness is the world of hydraulics. So, make sure everything you do you  would be willing to put in your mouth before assembly and you will be OK!

12/15/2013 3:40 PM  #12

Well I just rebuilt the power steering pump. Just a little paint. One question when I removed the pulley, I didn't need any special tools to come off. I'm afraid it's too loose on the spindle. Any suggestions on how may fix that?thanks

12/16/2013 3:13 PM  #13

The pulley should be a press fit on the shaft.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

12/16/2013 9:16 PM  #14

MS,
Do you have an extra pulley? I think this one is worn.....

12/16/2013 9:49 PM  #15

Can you send me a picture of your pulley and a measurement.
I have a couple but, want to make sure it's a match for your pump..........

jkb

12/17/2013 9:11 PM  #16

JKB
The pulley is 5-3/16 dia x 11/16 and has the letters AA stamped on it. I sent you a pm. Thank you for your help!

12/18/2013 5:02 PM  #17

MWM
I've got one.......PM sent for details........

12/19/2013 11:17 AM  #18

JKB,
Thank for the reply, but did not see a PM? Do you have my email?
Thank you!

12/19/2013 11:34 AM  #19

Reply sent to your email......

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.