FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/08/2013 4:19 PM  #1

Fabricated my first Brake Line today

After much research and patience, I was able to fabricate my very first brake line today. Overall I am very pleased with the look and fitment results. I read many posts and watched lots of U-Tube videos on double flaring brake lines. The Copper Nickle brake line was very easy to use.

12/08/2013 4:39 PM  #2

Re: Fabricated my first Brake Line today

good stuff

12/08/2013 5:27 PM  #3

Went through that a few months ago, line are all run but stilll haven't put fluid in them yet. Once you get a feel for it, it's really not to bad. Looking good!

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

12/08/2013 5:59 PM  #4

Looking good! I'm about to do my brake and fuel lines.

12/08/2013 7:56 PM  #5

You done good. Should last forever.

12/08/2013 9:21 PM  #6

Great little tool from Harbor Freight - bends very tight bends in 3/16 lines.  Under 10 bucks.

12/09/2013 9:29 PM  #7

This is the tool I use for brake lines. Never use any of my old benders after I got this. 1/2" radius tight against the fitting. Love this tool! From Eastwood but HF has a knock off.

12/10/2013 6:24 AM  #8

I have to agree with ponch0v.  I never use any of my other benders after I got the one from Eastwood.
Works great!

Bash Host MSBB XVI.       BobC    1966 Mustang Coupe

12/12/2013 12:23 PM  #9

What's the best way to bench test my first brake line for leaks? I don't want to go thru all the effort and cost of making any more lines if my flares are no good and leak. Thanks

12/13/2013 9:56 PM  #10

I like the Ni-Copp. Real easy to work and as long as you don't overdo it on the second step of the double flare process I don't think you need to worry about leaks. I've put about 3K miles on my homemade Ni-Copp with no signs of leakage. I bought it from JEGS and they also sell black fittings that look pretty good with this line:

(Pinto!)

12/15/2013 3:06 PM  #11

I just use a socket or jack handle to bend my lines...I like that green tubing from napa..nice and bendable...after trying some double flares by hand on stainless steel..I just about freaked out...wound up buying this expensive but sweet hydraulic flaring tool

12/15/2013 4:25 PM  #12

Chelby-Ann wrote:

After much research and patience, I was able to fabricate my very first brake line today. Overall I am very pleased with the look and fitment results. I read many posts and watched lots of U-Tube videos on double flaring brake lines. The Copper Nickle brake line was very easy to use.

Don't forget you are going to have to install exhaust pipes under there.  Be sure to consider where they will be.  I find it best to run exhaust first and then fit brakes lines second to obtail best clearance.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

12/15/2013 6:47 PM  #13

I thought most mustang vendors had pre-fabbed brake lines. Seems lately I've been reading a lot of post about DIY brake lines. What's the advantage to doing it yourself? Better fit?

Last edited by HenryJ (12/15/2013 6:48 PM)

12/15/2013 8:52 PM  #14

HenryJ wrote:

I thought most mustang vendors had pre-fabbed brake lines. Seems lately I've been reading a lot of post about DIY brake lines. What's the advantage to doing it yourself? Better fit?

$$$

67 Coupe, 5.0 EEC IV Fuel injected. T5, 3:70 rear

12/16/2013 1:49 PM  #15

HenryJ wrote:

Good question.
I went from 4 drums to 4 discs.
Nothing available off the shelf for a plug and play.

12/16/2013 2:57 PM  #16

I used the pre fabbed line for a disc brake mustang for the front and for the one that runs the length of the tunnel..the front line worked perfect with adapters, and the long line worked perfect into my new adj prop valve..the only custom lines that will need to b fabbed r the two short ones at the master cylinder, and maybe the rear axle line

12/16/2013 6:08 PM  #17

If you are plumbing an all-original car, the off-the-shelf stuff will work great... For a price.   Alot of cars have modifications such as power brakes or aftermarket discs, so the stock lines don't fit. If you have to modify one connection on a new line, you could save $25 and just make one yourself and put the correct fittings on the ends so it connects like it should, like this thread subject post is all about.

Adapters...

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

12/16/2013 7:19 PM  #18

It was the first time I had ever done anything like that,...no one was there to tell me what to do...the adapters worked, and dont leak...Ive since bought that hydraulic flaring tool that can do the necessary bubble flare, and just have to get around to doing it...im in the middle of an engine transplant, so its last on my list

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.