FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/11/2013 8:24 PM  #1

66 Convertible Roll Bar Install

A few years ago I saw a 65 convertible with a roll bar and really liked the look.  I searched around and found a 6 point "kit" from Auto Weld Chassis.  The parts delivered required some modification to fit as the kit is pretty generic.  I ordered the custom sidebars to allow access to the door latch and window crank and also ordered the swing-out kit so that less acrobatic passengers can get in.  I didn't install it for roll over protection - first for the look and second to add some stiffness to compliment what I have done underneath the car to stiffen it up.  Should help with the occasional autocross.

The first few pics are an overview of the main hoop and rear brace install.  I tilted it back 9 degrees from the rocker and this matches the angle of the rear of the door opening pretty closely.  I am installing Fiero seats so I set up the cross bar to clear the seat in its furthest back position and to provide an anchor for the five-point belts.  In hindsight, I would have raised it up an inch but will still work properly.

The main hoop is anchored to the inner rocker using the supplied 1/8" plates.  I formed the plates and plug-welded them to the inner rockers and then fabricated mounts for the base of the hoop.  Some elaborate trimming may have allowed me to weld them to the sides of the rocker but this made sense for my application.

For the rear braces I trimed the backseat mounting panel and installed the braces in between the two panels.  I welded 1/2" plates to the bottom of the braces and bolted them from underneath into plates that I plug welded through to the interior panels and along the frame to tie it in to structure.  Bolting is not ideal for roll over protection but will work well for stiffening.  There was no way I could weld the base of the rear supports without cutting out a lot of the panels - at least with my welding skills.

The first shot shows the upper anchoring of the brace and the second is the plate and bolt from under the car.

I would have waited to do the bar install but the rear brace support area is now covered up with my rear coilover frame.  Next I'm going to see if the doors still fit after all the reconstruction and then fit the side braces.  The side panels in back will need slight trimming but the window crank will still fit without mods.  As you can see, there will not be a rear seat in my roadster so I'll have to make panels further down the road.  I did throw the roof on and stretch it open to check the height - 1 have about 1/2" to spare.  Not everyone's taste but it is the exact look I wanted.

12/12/2013 6:57 AM  #2

Re: 66 Convertible Roll Bar Install

GP, I like it.  Wish I woulda put one in mine when I had it apart.  Did you sandblast the car or have it done?  Looks like you have eliminated all rust.  Great job.

66 Vert.  4.6 DOHC, 4R70 Auto, Heidt's M2 frontend

12/12/2013 7:14 AM  #3

I tried to work around the rust and paint but gave up and took it to a local blast shop.  They used plastic media on exterior surfaces and more aggressive material underneath and in the interior.  I had it on the rotisserie when I took it there so they could reach everything.  In dry Denver, after 18 months there is still no surface rust which is good based on my work pace.

12/12/2013 11:23 AM  #4

Looks like you are making some real nice progress there Gary. If increased chassis stifness is one of the goals, wouldn't installing an X between the vertical tubes increase stiffness?

12/12/2013 11:54 AM  #5

Looking good,the welds could use some attention

i made one myself for the coupe

Tonie

12/12/2013 11:57 AM  #6

Thanks for the feedback - I have been toying with an "X" brace or diagonal bracing from the intersection of the horizontal cross tube on both sides to the top of the tunnel - I have seen this on a few cars that I found on-line but I think I'd have to stiffen the top of the tunnel with appropriate bracing or plates as welding a thick tube to sheet metal defeats the purpose.  Also, I am looking at connecting down with short tubes to the subframe connectors so maybe I will do both.  I need to keep access relatively open to finish up my repairs and then I can brace it up.  I might look at bolted connectings for the cross brace setup for future access.  The rear braces actually angle out a few degees which limits parallelograming.  It's been fun doing the install - a form of proactive procrastination to avoid doing any visible body work.

12/12/2013 12:33 PM  #7

That is the best lower mount I have seen on a Mustang.  Very good design. 

I have seen some where they welded the roll bar to the floor/torque box sheetmetal.  Also have seen picture of overturned Mustang with roll bar sticking through the floor 6" and roof collapsed.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

12/12/2013 12:47 PM  #8

Tonie - they ain't pretty but they are a lot better that I could have done a year ago.  The pentration is good and I'll clean them up a little for paint.  From what I read various racing bodies do not permit any grinding of the welds but then I'm not racing.  I was trying to find the blur button on the camera to hide the welds - maybe I'll have to try photoshop next time!  I have also tried to find the messy shop delete button but again with no luck.

Steve - I did a lot of internet hunting on mounting and some are surprisingly weak - the one page hand drawn installation guide I got with the roll bar was of little use.  Most rule books require 1/8"x6"x6" mounting plates on any unibody car so I have tried to follow that where I could.  My goal, ultimately, is to keep the four wheels on the gound.

12/12/2013 6:33 PM  #9

Good rule to follow-rubber side down,

67 Coupe, 5.0 EEC IV Fuel injected. T5, 3:70 rear

12/12/2013 8:48 PM  #10

Looks nice. What are the specs on the roll bar material.

Bob

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

12/12/2013 9:43 PM  #11

Looks pretty cool to me too.
Those welds will be underneath a carpet for the most part sooooo....they look fine.
Did you say Fiero seats? Like Pontiac Fiero? The radio speakers in the headrests are a GREAT feature!
Yeah...we learned in weld school it doesn't matter how much weld you "pile-on" the thinnest member is still the ........weakest spot.
Those mounting plates WOULD(IMHO) keep the car from squashing the passengers in a flip over.

Better than one particulair set of roll bars I saw. A guy had a full-on street racer.....huge horse power...and light weight. In order to save weight..........he fabbed up some roll bars....painted and padded...made out of PVC!!
He said it looked good enough to fool the  inspectors and saved ALOT of weight!
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

12/12/2013 9:57 PM  #12

I got the standard material which is 1-3/4" x .134" wall ERW - they have DOM which is .120" wall and also chromoly.  For what i wanted, the ERW is adequate so I didn't pay the up-charge.  I paid extra for the pre-notch of the ends that don't have to be custom fit which was worth the $20.  I was originally hoping for a plug-and-play setup but couldn't find one.

The seats indeed are Pointiac Fiero.  Mr. Mikes upholstery will go over them some day.  You can order the covers with the speaker holes and there are supposed to be some nice aftermarket speakers.  Carpet will hide a lot of my work on the bars and the floor.  The floor is actually cleaning up nicely and I'm going to use a little putty underneath to hide the weld lines.  Not many people will carry mirrors to look underneath and still more motivation to keep the rubber on the road.

PVC?  I used some PVC to figure out how to get it to fit - hard to imagine an inspector would miss it.  Maybe they should carry a magnet as part of their inspection.  I could think of a lot of areas to save weight.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.