FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/12/2013 6:36 AM  #1

I installed the Felpro one Piece gasket and

it was pretty easy.  But looking at the seal on the corners of the pan to gasket to me it looks like there is a slight gap.  Should I pull the pan back down and add some RTV to the corners?

Thanks
Steve69

12/12/2013 7:13 AM  #2

Re: I installed the Felpro one Piece gasket and

If that is an aftermarket chromed oil pan of dubious origin I would most certainly consider doing just that!
OR, just go and RTV the whole thing as per the MS approved method without the gasket.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

12/12/2013 3:45 PM  #3

Is the pan torqued down in those pics?  Definitely needs some sealer if it is.  Not sure how well the sealer sticks to those gaskets...  Easier to just slap some on the entire mating surface and hang the gasket on your wall.

Like Rudi mentioned, the oil pan may not be formed as well as an original pan.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

12/12/2013 3:51 PM  #4

Yes its all torqued down.   Its -5 degrees out so Im not sure how well the sealer is going to seal..LOL.

"Don't use a gasket, just RTV Ultra Black, thick where the end seals went and thin on the flange.  Everything must be cleaned with lacquer thinner first to get a good bond.  Torque the pan tight to the block while the RTV is wet and it will never leak again."

So would I put the RTV on engine block and then install the pan?

Ill take a look at it tomorrow.

Thanks for the info.
Steve69

Last edited by Steve69 (12/12/2013 3:57 PM)

12/12/2013 10:34 PM  #5

To assure 100% coverage of the sealer, I coat the pan rail, being sure to fill all those inset places, then put a paper thin layer on the block.  That way you are assured the sealer will flow together and cover everything.

Installation studs hughly recommended.  A 2" long stud, once centered each side will allow you to position the pan correctly the first try.  Just slide the pan over the studs and put a nut on each one and snug it up.  Install all the other bolts and then remove the studs and replace with bolts.

12/12/2013 10:43 PM  #6

FWIW, I bought a Ford Racing crate motor which came with the fox body oil pan mad a one piece gasket. When I swapped it out I noticed that they used a dab of sealant at each of the four corners adjacent to the crank. Since it was good enough for them, I followed suit.

1965 Mustang 2+2 EFI

12/13/2013 6:21 AM  #7

Thanks for all the info Guys!    Is there a difference between the 5.0 pan Gasket and the 302?   I noticed the had different part #s.   I thought they would be the same since its the same bolt patern.

Thanks
Steve69

12/13/2013 9:36 AM  #8

The 351W is different, but 289 and 302 and 5.0 use the same gasket.  If it comes with a new rear main seal, then it would be different for the 302s and 5.0s that had the one piece rear seal.  Unless maybe they are doing something different on the pans that have the dipstick going through tme???

12/13/2013 10:31 AM  #9

Thanks MS!   I have to say the 4  Blue helper studs that come with the one piece gasket set are amazing.  They almost like having another helping hand under the car to hold that pan up.  

Steve69

12/13/2013 11:06 AM  #10

Steve69 wrote:

Thanks MS!   I have to say the 4  Blue helper studs that come with the one piece gasket set are amazing.  They almost like having another helping hand under the car to hold that pan up.  

Steve69

Amen on that!  With those, you do not even have to put a nut on to hold the pan in place.  I kep mine for future use.

12/13/2013 11:19 AM  #11

I had the same issue with a chrome pan that came on my car. It is now just fine since it is now just a bin to keep junk in under the bench. An OEM pan fixed the problem.

12/13/2013 7:30 PM  #12

I just looked more closely at the pics. My Ford Racing motor had a little dab at each corner between the gasket and the block/cap. There was nothing between the gasket and the pan. It has been 6 years since I've had it off, but if memory serves, the 5.0L gasket has a provision for the dipstick tube in the side of the block. Perhaps that is the difference? FWIW, I reused the 5.0L gasket when I swapped pans.

A few months ago I removed the timing cover when I swapped the cam and the portion of the gasket touching the cover came out with it  I put a little dab of RTV at the break and reassembled with nary a leak. I figured it couldn't be any worse then those little cork 'stubs' that they give you with an timing cover gasket kit. YMMV.

1965 Mustang 2+2 EFI

12/14/2013 1:44 AM  #13

Don't know about the seal and RTV applications, but I would be hesitant to run a pilot bearing in the crankshaft that was made in China?

I had a needle bearing as a pilot bearing in a crankshaft that failed once. The rollers came out of the bearing cage and got jammed between the clutch plate and the flywheel. I couldn't take it out of gear because I couldn't get the clutch to release. Change that bearing for something made in the USA.

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

12/14/2013 7:04 AM  #14

I was debating on that also Ron68.   Where can you get a pilot bushing made in the USA!

12/14/2013 8:43 PM  #15

According to the pic on Summit's website, the Timken is made in Japan.  You may be able to get it from your local auto parts, otherwise Summit, Rockauto, etc.

Timken FC65662

1965 Mustang 2+2 EFI

12/16/2013 6:23 AM  #16

Thanks for part #  Jeff

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.