FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/16/2013 8:39 PM  #1

Rear brake lines

I have a 66 and am running MS cobra rear discs. I need to fab a brake line from the front distribution box to the back. Does anyone have pics of the rear axle setup?  Does the line just go to the axle to a splitter of some sort then to the calipers?  What about a vent?  Pics, part #'s, store names would be great. Thanks.

Last edited by Ernest (12/16/2013 8:40 PM)

12/16/2013 9:11 PM  #2

Re: Rear brake lines

I am working on this as well.  I decided to run lines up/over to the frame from each caliper to the frame.  From Summit I will be ordering 2 Russell Performance 657320 13" hoses banjo to female inverted flare.  I used a piece of hose from the caliper to the frame to determine the length.  I am actually only ordering 1 hose to test fit in case I need to return it.  I am also hoping that this hose will work up front or at least I can use it to determine the proper length.

For mounting tabs, I am ordering Helix Brake Line Mounting Tabs HEXBLT1 - these are weld-on tabs with clips.  There are some bolt on tabs that will also work depending on how you want to mount them.

On the driver's side I am going to run a short tube from the tab to an inverted flare "tee".  From the passenger's side I'm running a tube across somewhere above the rear end and safe from the drive shaft into the "tee".  From the "tee" I'll follow a somewhat stock path to the front of the car.  This way I don't have to mount any tabs to the rear end.  I think I read that some late model mustangs run their lines this way.   For many applications this also provides a little more room for exhaust.  I re-threaded a vent tube all the way and will mount it in with a copper washer to keep it sealed in a somewhat stock location.  My rear end was a custom built unit and I am going to have to move the vent tube hole since it is sitting right where I need to run exhaust through my coil over setup - par for the course.

All that said, you can run a 69 big V8 hose (maybe boss) from the stock frame location down to the axle and run tubes out to each end to terminate at tabs.  There are several V8 hoses for 69 and a few provide good exhaust clearance. You will still need flex lines and several stock hoses may work.  Russel performance also offers shorter hoses that will work well.

12/19/2013 3:03 PM  #3

I used one of these in the stock location from the chassis to axle - think all I had to do was slightly clearance the through hole for the factory vent hose fitting.

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance-Products/555/635400/10002/-1?parentProductId=1682813

Could use a new vent hose and ah dab of RTV too...

(Pinto!)

12/19/2013 3:48 PM  #4

How much clearance do you have if the suspension bottoms out?  The exhaust pipe looks a little close but it could be the camera angle.  When I used the stock location on my 66, my exhaust guy said that he got the pipes to clear with no problem.  Apparently "no problem" means - until you hit a bump or go over a curb and drive the vent hose pipe into the exhaust pipe and break it off the axle.  The 69 big V8 style rolls the brake lines towards the front of the axle and away from the exhast pipes.

12/19/2013 5:43 PM  #5

Ernest wrote:

I have a 66 and am running MS cobra rear discs. I need to fab a brake line from the front distribution box to the back. Does anyone have pics of the rear axle setup? Does the line just go to the axle to a splitter of some sort then to the calipers? What about a vent? Pics, part #'s, store names would be great. Thanks.

There is a picture of my rear axle setup with Cobra rear discs in the Mustang Steve aritcle/site on how to install 13" cobra brakes, scroll down...jj

"Never put a question mark where God put a period "  Richard Petty

12/19/2013 7:43 PM  #6

Pic is of Joe's setup.
Rules of the road:
You must use a flex line between the caliper and the axle, or the caliper and the frame rail (like Garys') In my opinion, the Versailles hose works best as it has its own bracket.
If you use a center hose, use the 69 hose,  It clears pipes and shocks best.
Relocate the hard line on the body like a 69 Mustang.  It works great (pic attached but not real clear)

I now have ebrake cables for 65/66 to make it easier to modify and install the ebrake

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.