FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/18/2013 6:15 PM  #1

Brought my 66 F-100 project home from the body shop today

They butchered up the floor pans and cab corners so bad, I am not sure how I will ever be able to fix them.  One lesson I learned from mastercrap fiasco...  The first time you see something you don't like, bring all your stuff home and get it out of there because it is only going to get WORSE.  I gave this guy $1,000 up front to buy paint materials for the job.  I bet I don't see any of it...voluntarily.  Since I have more free time now, I think I will just file a small claims suit on him for the damages.

Or more effective to turn him in for painting cars in an open space with no filtration...

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

12/18/2013 8:03 PM  #2

Re: Brought my 66 F-100 project home from the body shop today

It looks like you are not able to find a reputable body shop in your section of Texas.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

12/18/2013 8:11 PM  #3

Thats what made me decide to start painting my own. The learning curve is steep , it is easer to live with your own mistakes.Every one I do is better but, not sure I will live long enough to get one perfect,

12/18/2013 8:34 PM  #4

I know how to do the work, and am quite good at it.  This was an attempt to get a project moving while I was working on something else.  I think I will take the money that would have been spent on the truck and use it to install the truck engine and a new Vintage AC system in the 69 coupe.  The engine is a 5.0 1990 roller block with Edelbrock heads and brand new 3-deuce setup.  That should work great with the recent T5 tranny transplant.  I can get a "truck suitable" engine anytime.

Then I will have a great BASH cruiser car.

12/18/2013 9:04 PM  #5

reputable paint & body=Lstar
Tough to get into his shop.

If it ain't broke, I haven't modified it Yet

12/18/2013 9:24 PM  #6

One thing I've learned building cars, do your research and apply the MS Steve rule so there are no $urprises, and most times you get what you pay for, especially when it comes to paint and bodywork!  Ok, that was 3 things, but you get it!

12/18/2013 10:21 PM  #7

Man Steve, I'm sorry for all your troubles with the autobodytards....

I could have referred you to a really good paint and body guy in Dallas......might have heard of him.....

"Roja Ramses Rocking Restoration Auto Ranch".............."T-Bones are Our Specialty...and We Don't Mean Steaks"

Your truck would've come back Habanero Red but hey, the body work would have been first rate!!

I'll go put on my kevlar now...................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12/19/2013 5:43 AM  #8

MustangSteve wrote:

They butchered up the floor pans and cab corners so bad, I am not sure how I will ever be able to fix them.  One lesson I learned from mastercrap fiasco...  The first time you see something you don't like, bring all your stuff home and get it out of there because it is only going to get WORSE.  I gave this guy $1,000 up front to buy paint materials for the job.  I bet I don't see any of it...voluntarily.  Since I have more free time now, I think I will just file a small claims suit on him for the damages.

Or more effective to turn him in for painting cars in an open space with no filtration...

I have a feeling this is how many of us get started working on our own cars in the first place. Can't find people to do the work right or satisfactorily or at a reasonable rate. In your case, its not a matter of you not wanting to do it yourself because you don't know how. Its a matter of prioritizing your time that you can free some up to work on other things so you delegate that bodywork out to others. Sorry to hear of your continual problems with finding competent, so called professionals, who don't seem to take any pride in thier work. 

GET HER DONE BULLETBOB!!! ..

12/19/2013 7:23 AM  #9

Too bad we don't all live next door to each other. Imagine all the work we could get done!............. or not get done

It's hard to type "funny"

12/19/2013 8:45 AM  #10

You need to call Richard Rawlings Man...

12/19/2013 8:47 AM  #11

Steve-G wrote:

Thats what made me decide to start painting my own. The learning curve is steep , it is easer to live with your own mistakes.Every one I do is better but, not sure I will live long enough to get one perfect,

Ditto

I made enough money to buy Miami, but pissed it away so fast

12/26/2013 7:23 PM  #12

Too bad about the shop. It really sounded good to let someone else do the work, especially after I spent almost a year on just the cab metal.  As you probably know, about all they sell are the pans, cab corners and bottom door jam. Everything else, you'll have to make.  The cardboard from your favorite 12-pack beverage makes a great template.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/album.php?albumid=12385

jerry

12/26/2013 11:08 PM  #13

That's horrible steve that you had such a problem

12/30/2013 8:23 PM  #14

Sorry to hear about the Truck.  I was at the LKA today and picked up a column shifter linkage for my 64 F100.  I already have the Crown Vic front end and a tilt steering column from a 78 Bronco.  I wanted to ask you about the headers you are running.  What brand/model # are you using on your truck?  Thanks!

12/31/2013 10:25 AM  #15

The headers are some ceramic coated Fox Mustang headers that I used to sell.  I can still get them from my supplier, but I decided to not bother with Fox-specific stuff.  They fit perfect on the truck and are shorties with the ball/socket type connection for the pipes like Fox Mustangs had.  They have 3/8" thick flanges at the head and come with some good quality bolts.

4/04/2014 6:50 PM  #16

MustangSteve,
Can you give me a price on a set of those headers and can I still get them through you?  I have emailed you in the past for advice on the motor mounts for the CV swap and you provided me great instructions, but I do not recall you saying how tall the fabricated mounts should be.  Can you give me some insight on that part?  Also I want to do your power brake swap (I purchased the plans from you for my 65 FB), but I would like to put in a AT style brake pedal in my 64 F100.  Any suggestions on which one I can use that will require the least amount of modifications?
Thanks,
SteveinNC

4/04/2014 7:11 PM  #17

The F-100 used the same brake pedal for automatics or manuals.  I used the foot pad backing plate from a 68 Mustang automatic and welded it to the pedal so I could use the disc brake rubber pad.  Only mod required to the pedal is to drill a 7/16" hole for the new pin and weld the pin in place.  The pedal support modification plate that comes with my PB-2 kit fits perfect on the front of the pedal support.  You will have to trim back the vertical ribs on the firewall above the master cylinder so the booster can reside there.

There are companies on ebay selling those same stainless steel, ceramic coated headers for Fox Mustang 5.0 for less than my cost.  They are very good quality even though made overseas.

Engine stands need to be the height required to place the engine in the chassis in the exact location the original engine was in.  Before removing the original engine, take enough dimensions so you know exactly where the crankshaft needs to be, both right and left and vertically in relation to the frame rails.  Hang the new engine from your engine hoist so the crank is in that same position and the tranny mates up to the tranny crossmember and then fabricate the stands to hold the engine in that position.  That is how I did it and it worked perfect.  Note the engine is off-center by about 2" towards passenger side.

The picture at the bottom shows what the new owner, Oscar, has done to the truck in the short time he has owned it.  Can't wait to see it completed.

4/05/2014 1:49 PM  #18

Straight out rip offs. Man I hate that. Smart to get your stuff outa there

4/05/2014 3:45 PM  #19

Now............is the truck STILL yours........or Oscars?!
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

4/05/2014 5:30 PM  #20

With so many good shops in the area, I'm not sure how you come by these losers.

4/06/2014 11:39 AM  #21

The truck now belongs to Oscar.  I had too mahy projects, and I needed a truck RIGHT NOW, so I sold the truck to him, the engine to someone else and all the new chrome to yet another enthusiast.  Netted enough to just go buy the Dodge.

4/06/2014 9:51 PM  #22

Got painted over the weekend.  I' ll try to get some pics over to you Steve.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.