FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/19/2013 5:54 AM  #1

MS law is on in full... Pilot bearing removal revisited

So after consideration I decided to remove the made in China roller bearing for a better quality bushing.  I tried grease and bread with no luck.  What happened is the pressure forced the bread out of needs bearings and it wasn't a tight seal.   So I went to O'reilys for a pilot bearing puller tool.  What happened is it pulled the center of the bushing out.   The rest of the Bushing is flush with the Crankshaft.  So Im really not sure how to get the rest pulled out.  Since the bushing is Flush with the Crankshaftet theres nothing for the bushing puller tool to grab onto.  Anyone else have this problem before?  What did you do to get it out?  Thanks Steve69

12/19/2013 6:12 AM  #2

Re: MS law is on in full... Pilot bearing removal revisited

There are cutouts on the bottom edge of the outer bearing that you should be able to engage with the puller jaws (or some other tool).  You can see one in your photo, there's another opposite it.

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

12/19/2013 6:14 AM  #3

Hey John,   Thanks for seeing what I didn't   Ill see if I can get that tool in there.

Steve69

12/19/2013 6:49 AM  #4

The tool I borrowed from autozone was too thick to fit in the grooves mentioned. I had to grind a little off of the end if the tool for it to work. The guy at autozone didn't mind.

12/19/2013 7:07 AM  #5

Well that didn't work so well.   One of the arms broke in half.   This bearing is really in there.  I must not
know my own strength...LOL.  So any other ideas?

12/19/2013 9:20 AM  #6

S69, do you have a dial or vernier caliper?  Or an ID micrometer, or "snap gauge"?  To get a pretty accurate measurement of the hole?  Then, see if the measurement is close to any piece of round stock, or a big pin of some sort - try a tractor supply store.  If none of that works, how good a friend is your favorite machinist?  It would take only a couple of minutes for him to make a piece to slip into the hole.
Then, bread - grease - play dough - old style modeling clay.  Your choice.
Good Luck

12/19/2013 9:35 AM  #7

This split collet puller is designed to do what you need to do but is probably not an autozone tool.  An industrial rental house may have them.  My company sells these as a maintenance product but as a kit they are pretty expensive for a one-time job  The collet is inserted through the bearing and then the center bolt is screwed in to expand the collet.  A slide hammer completes the job.  In an urgent situation you could do some careful slices with a dremel and then bust it out with appropriate tools and eyewear.  The key is to not cut into the crank, obviously.

12/19/2013 9:37 AM  #8

S69 hey you say there was a roller insert so what we have is a reducer stuck in there what's it made of can't see it being made of brass like the old fashion bushings I'm used to, if its steel stick a put a fender washer and a nut on the end of a slide hammer carefully tack weld the fender washer to the reducer then whamm hell out of it.   

I made enough money to buy Miami, but pissed it away so fast

12/19/2013 9:39 AM  #9

Hey Pablo
The hole for the Bearing is just lightly smaler where it rests against the Crankshaft.  Im wondering if I find something with a tight fit if there is going to be enough from the Grease to push that bearing out.
I dont have and dial gauges but Ill see if I can find somthing that goes in the hole.

Thanks
Steve69

12/19/2013 9:43 AM  #10

The approach from bulletbirdman will probably work well.  The dents in it show that it is not bearing steel so you can probably tack weld it pretty easily and pull away.  I don't think you have enough surface area on the end of the insert for a hydraulc dismount with bread, peanut butter, et,.

12/19/2013 9:50 AM  #11

12/19/2013 12:45 PM  #12

Just weld a lug nut to the bearing housing and thread a 1/2" bolt into it.  It will pull it right out.  One thing I have learned from practicing LAW in this hobby...  When you find a good way to do something, do it that way first and move on.

It doesn't take much weld to hold it good enough to pull it right out.  And an impact wrench makes it that much easier.

If no welder, get a piece of barstock the same OD as the ID of that bearing retainer and go back with the hydraulic removal method you started with.  Or take that domed lug nut and stick it back in the roller bearing and pack it with grease and hammer it all back in there.  It will push it out...

Sounds like a good excuse for an engine rebuild with a stroker crank, to me...  Remember... The LAW never sleeps!

Last edited by MustangSteve (12/19/2013 1:09 PM)

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

12/20/2013 7:32 PM  #13

I thought that hmartin25 had suggested a good method with the 3?4" tap. Maybe give that try.

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

12/20/2013 8:07 PM  #14

Priced a 3/4" tap lately?  My set tops out at 1/2".

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

12/20/2013 8:42 PM  #15

Im wishing I would of left the made in China one in there...LOL.  What a PIA.  I still dont have that darn thing out.  The kicker is I order a new Made in USA  Bearing and it looks exactly like the one made in China.  My welding skills are the greatest but Im going to try to weld the nut on the bearing.  Tried the Bread again and it didn't budge.  Steve69

12/20/2013 8:54 PM  #16

Harbor Freight has the blind hole puller but, they are proud of it......$79......

Do you have a dremel tool......might be able to use either a small cut off wheel or a die grinder tip and see if you can carefully split the bushing??

12/20/2013 9:34 PM  #17

I do have a dremel tool Josh.   I have a Welder but haven't used it much.   Ill give that a try and very last resort cutting the bearing.  

Thanks
Steve69

12/20/2013 11:20 PM  #18

Geez, use a cold chisel to collapse one side of it and pull it out with a pair of pliers.

12/21/2013 8:39 AM  #19

My last one did that where the needle bearing came out but not the sleeve. I had a piece of bar stock that fit real close, so I loaded it up with grease again and proceeded to spread more grease around without getting the sleve out. So I figured that something more viscous than the grease was needed so I shaved up a bar of soap into the hole and packed until it was full. One good tap with the 3 pound hammer and out it came. I remember when front wheel bearing grease was soap based, maybe that stuff worked better than my synthetic stuff now.

12/21/2013 4:08 PM  #20

Hornman wrote:

Geez, use a cold chisel to collapse one side of it and pull it out with a pair of pliers.

THAT'LL WORK!! Also......Get a straight grinder from Harbor Freight. They hold a carbide burr tool that will eat through the sleeve in no time(I know!). Just watch real close and don't grind into the crankshaft flange.
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

12/21/2013 8:02 PM  #21

I have got a problem with cutting and grinding right there with the flywheel bolt holes open to the oil pan and all. So I always use a non chip or dust generating approach. I always remember that "Murphy" lives in my garage.

12/21/2013 8:05 PM  #22

Seems to me that Murphy had a lot to do with MS's law!

12/23/2013 8:21 PM  #23

Use play doh, the consistency is much better. Your scenario has happened to me many times...find a socket to fit through that hole, use masking tape to build the socket thicker if necessary... fill socket with play doh, use extension on socket, and hammer socket in...promise itll pop right out

12/24/2013 8:15 AM  #24

BTW, the 3/4 NC tap setup is for bronze bushings only, dont think it'll work for a brng.....
Another point on pilot bearings, I have never seen input shaft ruined by a bushing but quite a few
with roller bearings. Just FYI.
Howard

12/26/2013 8:59 PM  #25

Got that SummmBiscuit bearing out of there...LOL     I tried a couple different bearing pullers. No luck. Tried  Grease, Bread and Playdoh.  No luck.  I think the reason why that didn't work was the bearing was flush with the crankshaft.  So there was nothing there for the pressure to push out the bearing.   I tried welding a nut on the bearing.  The weld worked great on the nut but I think because of the China steel the nut just ripped the metal off the Bearing.   I got out my Air Chisel and it was out in 5 minutes.  I put a small knick in the seat where the bearing goes but Im not to concerned about it.   Thanks for all the help and ideas.   After seeing hmartin25 Im just wondering if I should put another roller in there again or go with the brass?
Steve69

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.