FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/19/2013 8:32 PM  #1

Warrin or wiring if you prefer

Electric mod done to Miss May include EFI, replaced fuse block with  87 Mustang fuse block, led flasher pods for tail light/turn siginals, headlight relays, horn relay, (hmmmm...add'a radiator fan relay???), 6 dial Autometer gages, power windows, 1968 steering column turnsiginal wiring, aftermarket radio & such. All interfaced through a 66 Mustang underdash harness in a 65 chassis. Some stuff that has never been integrated, like a neutral safety switch, back up light switch or even lights. The early 65's(like my 2+2) did not necessairly have back up lights.
 Last summer I installed a mistery wiring harness short, that still eludes me. Ohh what to do??
Talked with Glen Buzek, and he told me he'd ordered an American Autowire 64-66 Mustang harness. Now I've known of these harnesses for a while, and all reports have been good, though not from anyone I "know". Anywho I contacted Glen again tonight, to get a report of the harness. All positive. BB will be pleased to know I've ordered one for Miss May. All the relays are already built in and underdash switch plugs are connected and ready to plug & play, center of the firewall EZ access fuse block mounting( more on that later) $556.13 delivered.
If I'm not successful with this we may have to have another Bash in Florida. Just so I can get some reliable folks to do it right.

Tubo

If it ain't broke, I haven't modified it Yet

12/20/2013 7:45 AM  #2

Re: Warrin or wiring if you prefer

Gotta admire a man who ain't afraid to try something new. I have no doubt that you will be able to get it done, even if it takes a little help from your friends.   Good luck and keep us posted.

66 Vert.  4.6 DOHC, 4R70 Auto, Heidt's M2 frontend

12/20/2013 8:05 AM  #3

Tubo,

I am putting one in my 66. It's a good set up over all. A few things maybe they could do better, I think the headlight relays should have been made to mount in front of the car. I thought one of the reasons for using the relays was to mount them close to the battery. That way there is less voltage drop and brighter headlights. Another thing is mine did not come with a good schematic, just some wiring diagrams. A good schematic would make things easier for future trouble shooting. Another thing, keep in mind it is set up for a single wire alternator, like 3G.
     A few minor knocks, but over all a pretty good set up. Wires are well marked and plenty long enough to get them where you need them. Good luck, should go well.

Last edited by wsinsle (12/20/2013 11:12 AM)

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

12/20/2013 3:28 PM  #4

Tubo, your mustang sounds like a nice restomod. I think now would be a good time to consider dressing in the new harness on the other side of the fender aprons to hide them. I'll bet they're long enough too.

Last edited by HenryJ (12/20/2013 3:30 PM)

12/20/2013 5:47 PM  #5

HenryJ wrote:

Tubo, your mustang sounds like a nice restomod. I think now would be a good time to consider dressing in the new harness on the other side of the fender aprons to hide them. I'll bet they're long enough too.

ala 6sally6 style!

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

12/20/2013 8:12 PM  #6

wsinsle wrote:

Another thing is mine did not come with a good schematic, just some wiring diagrams. A good schematic would make things easier for future trouble shooting. Another thing, keep in mind it is set up for a single wire alternator, like 3G.

Yeah I've talked with my Buddy BulletBob(Noted FYI 'lectrical wizz) BB sez, "He can talk me through it" Hehheh. Now If you've developed a schematic, BB & I both would be obliged to see it.
Good thing bout the harness and a 3G. Cos thats already done.
I'll have to take a look at relocating the headlight relays. The ones BB made, that are already in the 2+2, will be tranfering to the Vert.

TY HenryJ, as far as a restomod goes Miss May ain't too bad, considerin not having A/C an all.

Tubo

12/21/2013 12:35 PM  #7

I haven't made a schematic, but I probably should.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

12/21/2013 1:39 PM  #8

The AAW kit install is quite a task, even for the brave and able.
It looks like the 66 kit is very similar to the 68 kit that I put in last year.

I stripped all the original wireing out completely as well as gutting the interior, its a lot easier with the seats, carpet and interior panels removed.

The kit itself is quite complete , all switches and plugs with plenty of terminals included with provisions for just about every accsessory imaginable. I did not like the placement of the relay bank which are virtually inaccessable when installed. Hopefully they are very reliable.

The length ot the wires are very generous, long enough to route them anywhere you want. I hid as much as I could from the engine bay by routing them through the wheel wells in waterproof shielded conduit.  If you desire, this would also be a good time for battery relocation which I did also.

I did not like their use of GM style connectors, I changed a lot of them over to Weatherpack especially the ones for ignition.

The instructions and schematics were very good and the product support exemplary.

One thing that should be considered is the Delphi crimpers, although very pricey, traditional crimpers wont cut it.  I bought mine but they can be rented although the rental time frame is not generous enough. It took me close to 5 months of almost daily work to complete all the stuff I did, probobly because of all the extra modifications I opted to do.

From waht I have heard the AAW kit is better than the Painless offring, The Ron Francis kit looks OK but I have not read about anyone going that route.

Last edited by Rudi (12/21/2013 1:40 PM)

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

12/21/2013 2:27 PM  #9

Rudi wrote:

One thing that should be considered is the Delphi crimpers, although very pricey, traditional crimpers wont cut it.

Rudi,

Are you saying that AAW uses Delphi connectors?  I am using the better grade Delphi connectors with my custom dash harness.  I use the same ones only with the weather seals under the hood.  As for the crimper, I have a roll crimpper that works well but have been thinking of  trying a different one and I'll check out the Delphi unit.  That way I'll have one for Corky to borrow, lol.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

12/21/2013 4:17 PM  #10

Bullet Bob wrote:

Rudi wrote:

One thing that should be considered is the Delphi crimpers, although very pricey, traditional crimpers wont cut it.

Rudi,

Are you saying that AAW uses Delphi connectors?  I am using the better grade Delphi connectors with my custom dash harness.  I use the same ones only with the weather seals under the hood.  As for the crimper, I have a roll crimpper that works well but have been thinking of  trying a different one and I'll check out the Delphi unit.  That way I'll have one for Corky to borrow, lol.

BB

The crimper is Delphi but the connectors are the old GM style, not water proof.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

12/22/2013 1:21 AM  #11

5 months of warrin, Oh Lordy.
 I know it's gotta be done , however I down right dispise warrin.
 Mainly Cos, though I understand how to do it, I don't know the whys of doing it.

Tubo

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.