FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/19/2013 11:53 PM  #1

Rocker arms still giving me trouble, but progress is made.

Situation is. Machine shop lost my stamped steel rocker arms. Price for the Roller Rocker arms from Comp Cams was within 100 bucks. So I tried to upgrade to them. Problem is the contact patch on the valve stem is about 2/3rds of the way down. The Push Rod length doesn't matter in the geometry of this set up but the pedestal height does. When I added it height the contact patch moved further down the valve, so my only option was to make the height lower. Comp Cam technical staff agreed that this was probably the solution but told me they don't sell different height pedestals. So my option was to grind away. I did do a mock up of a small pipe that I ground down and used different washers to get the specific height.I assume the Pedestal is a hardened steel. So has anyone ever attempted this, do machine shops have the ability to shave off the steel on something this small?

12/19/2013 11:56 PM  #2

Re: Rocker arms still giving me trouble, but progress is made.

This is the height difference I need to make the real pedestal on the left similar to the right.

12/20/2013 11:14 AM  #3

Are you sure about the push rod length? I put on edlebrock heads and roller rocker arms on my 289. I had to go with a long push rod, due to the mark being too high on the valve. I got a comp cams push rod tool and it was easy to get the mark to line up on the center of the valve. But I could be wrong, that happens a lot!!!! Merry Christmas y'all!!!

1966 Mustang Fastback K-Code,289,T-5, 9-inch rear with 3.50 gears.

12/20/2013 5:26 PM  #4

Mochaman, a good machine shop would have no trouble removing metal from the pedestals.  It might be a bit pricy though. A helpful hint, to determine if a metal is hardened use the corner of a good file and see if will "mark" the metal part in question.  If it marks it, it's not hard.
Another thought, what about contacting Comp Cams and see if they have pedestals in different heights.  I'm pretty sure you are not the only one who has had this problem.
Good Luck

12/20/2013 5:56 PM  #5

If the pedastal is not attached to the "U" shaped sheet steel base it can be chucked in a lathe and machined with carboloy tooling, even if it is hardened.
The mounting bosses in the head could also be spotfaced to reduce the height as done when changing from press fit to screw in rocker bolts.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

12/21/2013 12:04 AM  #6

@Tmac, the back ot the rocker arm has adjustment cup that adjusts to the length of the Push Rod.

@Pablo I will try to file a little to see if hardened. I did contact CompCam and they do not have different height pedestals. Their Tech Experts agreed that I would have to find someone to mill this down.

@Rudi The U shaped base was needed to keep the pedestals from rotating. Another post I had when I first posted pictures of the pedestals triggered some concern from the group that I had to add them to keep the engine parts lined up. Will have to look into spot faced. If this gets too expensive, I may just have to revert to buying the original stamp steel rocker arms and sell these on ebay.

CompCam now does not list these rocker arms as suitable for earlier heads even though when I did the research 18 months ago they were good. But if you look on Summit and CJPony they still list these as an upgrade for more horsepower.

I just want to get this engine running so I can stuff it in the car and on the road for 2014.

Thank you for the advise.

12/21/2013 9:39 AM  #7

Mochaman, I did not realize the Comp Cam roller rockers had adjusters on them.  I have FRPP roller rockers - I think they were made by Crane - and they have no adjustment - only changing pushrod length or addin shims under pedestal.  In your case, I would agree with Tmac - you should be able to alter the contact patch by changing pushrod length.
Also, I am assuming that you are using hydraulic lifters.  If yes, you do know that you need to change the valve springs to "test" springs before checking the contact patch?  The stock springs will cause the mechanism in the lifter to "collapse" giving you an erroneous reading.
Good Luck

12/21/2013 10:11 AM  #8

Mochaman wrote:

@Tmac, the back ot the rocker arm has adjustment cup that adjusts to the length of the Push Rod.

@Pablo I will try to file a little to see if hardened. I did contact CompCam and they do not have different height pedestals. Their Tech Experts agreed that I would have to find someone to mill this down.

@Rudi The U shaped base was needed to keep the pedestals from rotating. Another post I had when I first posted pictures of the pedestals triggered some concern from the group that I had to add them to keep the engine parts lined up. Will have to look into spot faced. If this gets too expensive, I may just have to revert to buying the original stamp steel rocker arms and sell these on ebay.

CompCam now does not list these rocker arms as suitable for earlier heads even though when I did the research 18 months ago they were good. But if you look on Summit and CJPony they still list these as an upgrade for more horsepower.

I just want to get this engine running so I can stuff it in the car and on the road for 2014.

Thank you for the advise.

If you decide to spotface them make sure there is enough thread  depth for the mounting studs. Usually there is enough depth of the hole to allow a bottoming tap to gain a few more turns of the stud.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

12/21/2013 11:15 PM  #9

Pablo I bought a single solid lifter that I use to test the contact patch. I was told that would work. I have dual springs inside these and have no idea how I would pull them.

Rudi, the only problem with spotfacing is I need about 3 threads depth removed. ~ 1/5 of an inch. That means a complete breakdown of the heads, and more machine work.

Red351, I wasn't aware of valve stem caps. What are they?

12/21/2013 11:43 PM  #10

This was the reply I received from CompCam Technical Staff:

~~You are correct, pushrod length will not affect geometry with that style of rocker arm.

From your post, it looks like a shorter pedestal would be the only way to achieve perfect geometry. We do not sell any shorter pedestals, so you would have to machine the ones you have. Unfortunately, there is not any good rule of thumb for how much to machine off the pedestal, so it will be a "try it and see" procedure.

12/22/2013 12:36 AM  #11

Red351 is this what you are talking about?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-620-1/overview/
Valve Lash Caps?

12/22/2013 12:40 AM  #12

Looking at your first picture, I would not consider that witness mark to be out of the zone. However it only shows one valve so I do not know what the rest of them look like.

Valve caps are certainly not the answer.  My only experience with them is the are .080 and woud cause you to need pedestal shims and different length pushrods.

Last edited by boomyal (12/22/2013 12:40 AM)

12/22/2013 12:58 AM  #13

Boomyal if you look at the right side valve (almost out of picture) you can see the original witness marking. Lower part of the valve stem. The good one is when I made a short pedestal to see if that corrects my contact patch.

12/22/2013 7:20 AM  #14

are those heads designed for bolt down rockers or did they have studs before your original arms were lost?

Good, fast or cheap. Pick any two...

12/22/2013 1:25 PM  #15

Mochaman wrote:

Boomyal if you look at the right side valve (almost out of picture) you can see the original witness marking. Lower part of the valve stem. The good one is when I made a short pedestal to see if that corrects my contact patch.

Yeah, I think I see it now.  There were a lot of  other marks on that valve so I didn't know to zero in on the horizontal mark.  Is your problem uniform on all valves?  Instead of cutting the pedestals, why not trim the valve stems?  That is a common auto machine operation when they recut valve seats in a valve job.  The shop that lost your rockers should do it for free.  If there is enough meat on the stems it would be a relatively and consistant operation.  As I said, machine shops do it all the time.

Ah, but, you probably already have the heads torqued down?  Arrrrgh!

Last edited by boomyal (12/22/2013 1:29 PM)

12/22/2013 3:33 PM  #16

I did have the heads torqued down until I realized they were on backwards. Bolts holes only had the proper threaded insterts on one side. So I have them  turned around and lightly torqued down with the old gaskets until I sort this out. New gaskets will go when I go final torque.

It has beed almost three years since getting the work done, so I am under no illusion the machine will do anything for free.

I did go out and scratch the pedestal metal. the scribe made a decent mark, so they may not be to hardened steel I thought they should be.

12/22/2013 3:45 PM  #17

Mochaman wrote:

.....It has beed almost three years since getting the work done, so I am under no illusion the machine will do anything for free.....

Even though, it should not cost much as it is a routine proceedure.  If you can determine how much has to come off the valve tips, I would check with the machine shop for doing it that way instead of modifying all the pedestals.

12/23/2013 6:04 AM  #18

I have spot faced the head bosses with a lot of tape to seal everything off and used a piece of 3/4 inch plate with holes to bolt to adjacent bosses then used a magnetic based drill. Did it that way even in the car once. Never had a problem. I did tap all the holes a little deeper.

12/23/2013 9:57 AM  #19

I am consulting with CompCam Technicians on this. I posed the Lash Cap suggestion to them. Red351 I appreciate the tip. Never even thought of them. Quick order to Summit should get them here before I go back to work.

~~A lash cap may get you where you need to be. Ours are .080 thick. Part# 621-16.
You may need to shim a bit with the lash cap in place, but it would give you more options.

12/23/2013 10:50 AM  #20

Mochaman wrote:

I am consulting with CompCam Technicians on this. I posed the Lash Cap suggestion to them. Red351 I appreciate the tip. Never even thought of them. Quick order to Summit should get them here before I go back to work.

~~A lash cap may get you where you need to be. Ours are .080 thick. Part# 621-16.
You may need to shim a bit with the lash cap in place, but it would give you more options.

I didn't think about lash caps causing you to need shims BUT it may cause you to need new pushrods as well.  I used some inexpensive roller rockers on my 5.0.  The machine shop put on lashcaps which I liked because it gave a larger rolling surface for the rockers.  I ended up using shims and longer pushrods to get a proper pattern.

12/28/2013 6:57 PM  #21

So I recieved the Lash Caps today. I put them on without any shims and a solid lifter to see where things connect on the face.  Does anyone know of another way to see where the roller rocker meets up. The Lash Caps are black so I can't use the sharpie method since the black sharpie ink is lost on the black Lash Cap.

I tried using a coating of white lithium grease and things look very promising that this may be the solution. But I need to use something to check it out for final confirmation.

12/28/2013 10:53 PM  #22

I agree with Boom...  What the heck is wrong with the pattern you have.  A roller tip rocker is much more forgiving than a non-roller tip.  Quit worrying and bolt it together and run it.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

12/29/2013 10:12 AM  #23

MM, in the machine shop we used a product called, "Dykem Layout Fluid".  Blue is the color we used mostly.  There is also a red that might work better on your application.  The blue would probably be to dark.  You apply it, let it dry for a few seconds, then do what you're gonna do, it rubs off at the point of contact giving you a "picture" of the footprint.  Just like the sharpie did on top the bare valve stem.
For all who are interested, in the machine shop it is used to mark on metal parts - spray or brush it on, use a scribe or other sharp pointed tool to mark what you want to do on the work piece, then do the job.
It is easily removed with laquer thinner, B-12 Chemtool, and who knows what else.
But, I agree with MS.  Roller rockers give so little friction to the valve that a "close" footprint should be fine.
Good Luck

12/29/2013 2:15 PM  #24

use a silver Sharpie

Good, fast or cheap. Pick any two...

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.