FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/27/2013 9:10 AM  #1

clutch linkage question

My 66 is a factory 3 speed car it now has a 4 speed.  The linkage is not centered in the hole where it goes thru the firewall, the lever is rubbing the bottom side of the hole.  What do you guys think, any thoughts or suggestion?   
thanks

12/27/2013 12:19 PM  #2

Re: clutch linkage question

Not positive but it sounds like you have a damaged clutch shaft bushing.  This link shows a common failure mode picture.  http://www.mustangsteve.com/clutchbearings.html

12/27/2013 12:23 PM  #3

Could also be a bent Z-bar or linkage.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

12/27/2013 12:37 PM  #4

I wouldn't think the conversion from 3spd to 4spd would make a difference with the linkage.   I was having problems on my 69 mustang with the linkage binding and sticking.  I took some threaded rod and heim joints and made my Linkage.  It works pretty well.   You pull off your old Linkage and match it up with the threaded rod with the heim joints. Then cut the Threded rod to length.  I put a small bend in the Rod just like the clutch linkage has.  Then bolt the joints to your Z bar and Pedal.

Steve69

12/27/2013 3:23 PM  #5

Sounds like a good place to start, I will check it out.
Thanks

12/27/2013 6:31 PM  #6

I've also seen clutch pedals and/or supports worn so badly that the pedal does not swing straight like it is supposed to.  My first thought was much like the others here.....that the bushings on the Z bar are shot.  That is the first place I would check.

12/29/2013 9:17 AM  #7

Could the rod be upside down? in other words... going through the pedal from the wrong side.

jerry

12/30/2013 5:58 AM  #8

The pedal assembly inside the car looks good to me. I got the z bar out, bushings are worn I'm going to order new ones today. Steve mentioned the z bar could be bent, it has a slight bend/twist on one end. I'm not sure what it is suppose to look like so I can't tell if its bent or not?

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.