FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/30/2013 10:36 AM  #1

Use pads on spring perches?

Hi,

I just joined the forum and I think this is my first post.  I tried to post how I made an alternative to a rotiserrie that enables me to roll my car on its side on the tips page but I don't see it, so I'm not sure what hapened.

I have a 65 FB that I'm in the middle of restoring.  I hope to be able to post my experiences and what I've done to the car on this forum.  I've learned alot by reading the posts and figure it's time to give a little back. 

Anyway, I'm going to reassemble my suspension.  I've used Day's kit to rollerize my spring perches, used John's kit to rollerize and reinforce my lower control arms, rebuilt and welded the caps on my upper arms, and made my own set of adjustable strut rods.  I previously ran with 600 psi springs up front but found them too harsh so I'm now going with GT springs. 

I have the thinner poly pads for the top of the coil springs, but was wondering whether to use pads on the spring perches (mine didnt come w/ them), and if so, which ones and where to get them?  Thanks.

Last edited by jkordzi (12/30/2013 1:53 PM)

Cheap, Fast, Good:  Pick Any Two

12/30/2013 9:36 PM  #2

Re: Use pads on spring perches?

It has been my experience that you really don't need them because cars came from Ford with out them for many years.  If you decide you still like something on there, a very effective option is to use rubber from an inner-tube and glue it in place.  Ford used a similar technique in the mid 70s.  Please let me know if I can help further.

If it isn't broken...modify it anyway! http://www.DazeCars.com https://galaxieforum.boardhost.com

12/31/2013 10:19 AM  #3

Think of a coil spring as a long torsion bar that just happens to be coiled up.  When the spring is compressed or elongated, the "wire" rotates slightly.  The rubber is there to help keep that rotation motion from squeaking as the car goes up and down. 

Like Daze though, I never even knew those came on cars (I have been doing Mustangs since 1974) until the aftermarket started making spring perches not too many years ago.  The bottom line there is I never knew I needed them on any of my Mustangs (quite a few) that I owned before they started being reproduced, so I never missed them.  I think Ford did originally install them but they just did not last and fell out pretty quickly.  The new ones I have seen are so thin and flimsy I cannot imagine they will be there for very long either, but the good news is that it apparently does not matter.  There is so much force being applied over such a small area that they just don't stand much of a chance of surviving.  The upper pads will last alot longer because they have more surface area, thus less force in any one (or TWO as in the lowers) place.

I think a very small dab of bearing grease where the spring sits in the top of the perch will suffice to keep any rotational business from causing any harm.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

12/31/2013 10:29 AM  #4

Thanks - I think I tend to get a little obsessive about  details and its good to get some perspective.

Cheap, Fast, Good:  Pick Any Two

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.