FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/01/2014 10:14 AM  #1

t5 Question

I have the T5 installed.   Do I need the yoke installed along with the Drive Shaft installed before I add the ATF fluid?   I wanted to to add the fluid and get the shifter installed before I work on the drive shaft.  Is the fluid going to leak out the tail shaft? 

Thanks
Steve69

Last edited by Steve69 (1/01/2014 10:31 AM)

1/01/2014 10:37 AM  #2

Re: t5 Question

Steve69 wrote:

I have the T5 installed.   Do I need the yoke installed along with the Drive Shaft installed before I add the ATF fluid?   I wanted to to add the fluid and get the shifter installed before I work on the drive shaft.  Is the fluid going to leak out the tail shaft? 

Thanks
Steve69

WITHOUT A DOUBT!
Better plug'er off or get a bag of cat litter!
Could use an old yoke or they sell plastic plugs also.
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

1/01/2014 10:38 AM  #3

It may depend a little on what your driveline angle is but more than likely it will leak out the back if the slip yoke is not installed.  You can purchase a low-cost pump that will screw into lube bottles or that you can put into the container and fill the transmission from the side if you have adequate access to the fill plug.  Most of the chain autoparts stores carry the pumps and although a little awkward under the car they work pretty well.  A funnel with a long hose works pretty well from the top if you have a helper.  Or, get your driveshaft made up, install it, and then fill from the top.  If it is an access issue with the shifter, you will probably have enough clearance with the slip yoke to drop the back of the transmission down to get the shifter off to fill it that way.  I think you may find that filling through the actual fill hole is not as difficult as you think.  Is this a used T-5?  My transmission came with a rubber plug that slips on the output shaft and contacts the seal.  It worked surprisingly well.  To install the driveshaft, just pull the plug and insert the driveshaft with minimal leakage.  Last, on an already too long response - if you install the slip yoke you can fill it to the correct level.  Put the back wheels up on ramps after filling and the angle will keep the oil in the trans and you can pull the yoke.  You'll need it up in the air to install the driveshaft anyway.

1/01/2014 12:22 PM  #4

Stick an old yoke in it.  Be sure to not forget to lube the grease seal before final shaft installation. 

Or, jack up the rear end of the car real high..

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

1/02/2014 9:43 AM  #5

Thanks for all the info on the T5 fluid and greasing the tailshaft seal.   I made some helper guide studs to stab the transmission in.  I ended up pulling them out.   The T5 went in better without them.  Seemed like moving the hole transmission back and fouth made it go in better.   Im going to wait unitl the drive shaft is installed before I add the fluid.  Its going to be a high temprature here in Madison WI of -10 on Monday.  So Im in no hurry to drive it...LOL    

Thanks
Steve69

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.