FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/11/2014 10:49 AM  #1

Toploader ID

I have a toploader 4-speed with a very badly rusted code tag. The case number is C8AR-7006-D W-2 and the tailshaft no. is D0ZR-70A40A W-1. It has the small 1 1/16 inch input. The serial number found on the foward top lip is 8K108058. Can anyone tell me which tranny I have?   Thanks, Bill

1/11/2014 11:11 AM  #2

Re: Toploader ID

http://www.4speedtoploaders.com/  this is the link to a very good top loader 4 speed site. 
Enjoy

1/15/2014 12:10 AM  #3

Not getting any closer to a definitive answer. Does anyone have access to a Ford Master Parts Manual?

1/15/2014 12:46 AM  #4

I found the case and the tailhousing basic numbers at David Kee as suggested above.  With some basic measurements on case tailhousing length, etc, you should be able to zoom in on it.  I suggest that you will have better success contacting David Kee directly.  You can also put it in gear and determine close or wide ratio.  Look at the section on ID CHARTS and it has separate listings for tag number, case number, and tail housing number.  Looks like a standard case from 68 to 71 a tail housing from early 70's and based on that you can get awfully close.  The numbers listed also show key dimensions, spline counts, etc.

1/15/2014 7:46 AM  #5

The 8K108058 serial number says that the transmission was originally  in a K-code car, which would make it a close ratio box, if the internals haven't been altered.  The 8K also indicates a 1968 model which ties in with the C8 casting number.  It also appears that the tailshaft has been swapped sometime during the transmission's life.

I haven't posted much here, so hopefully this is useful.

1/16/2014 4:18 PM  #6

No K-code in '68. Last year for K-code Mustang was '67. Small block VIN codes for '68 were C for 2V 289 or J for 4V 302.

You would have to count the teeth on the gears to determine wide or close ratio.

If none of the internals have been swapped out, one way to determine close/wide ratio would be to remove the (4) bearing retainer bolts and slide the bearing retainer off the input shaft. If there is a groove machined around the circumference of the input shaft, at about the mid-point of its length, then it is a wide-ratio transmission. If the diameter is constant across the length of the input shaft (no groove) then it's a close ratio 4-speed. --again, this is IF the input/internals haven't been swapped out.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.