FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/12/2014 12:47 AM  #1

9 inch rear swap

I have a 1968 Mustang coupe. I want to install a 9" rear. I have access to a 1959 Edsel sedan and 1968 Galaxie convertible for rearends. I have 3.50 to1 ring and pinion set and want to also install a Trac-Lok. Which would be the better choice and would the perch positions be the same as the Mustang with either rear?   Thanks, Bill

1/12/2014 11:53 AM  #2

Re: 9 inch rear swap

I am not 100% sure, but I bet some research or simple measurements would tell you the Edsel rear end is the same exact thing a 58 Ford would have come with.  If that is the case, the spring perches are in th ecorrect location, but the axle width is 2" narrower than your 68 Mustang.  Some would consider that a good thing, if your plan includes some larger wheels.  The 58 Ford would be considered a direct bolt-in for a 65/66 Mustang, and will bolt in the 68 but with the 2" width difference.  You can alter that by picking wheels with a specific backspacing to fit yoru car.

The Galaxie rear end is going to be quite a bit wider, and may even have coil spring perches instead.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

1/12/2014 12:05 PM  #3

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=511913 here you go
This is a copied post from that link

edseldude
FNG

Re: 58 edsel rear end
The 59 edsel rear end is the same as a 57-58-59-ford fairlane as far as width and bolt pattern. I narrowed the original rear end in my 58 and used the same backing plates just redrilled the drums to 5 x 4.5. The 58 ranger and pacer have a very wide rear end. I imagine the 58 citation and corsair are even wider as they are built on the mercury frame.

1/16/2014 11:11 PM  #4

http://www.rustynutscarclub.com/ford9inch.htm here's another site good info

1/16/2014 11:26 PM  #5

the 9" axle is the old style

1/17/2014 8:42 PM  #6

Check out the info on Ultrastang's website:

http://www.ultrastang.com/info1.php

He has quite a bit of info there for the swap

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

1/19/2014 7:43 AM  #7

These are good years, but keep in mind 2 things. First, the housing have a weak spot where the tube goes into the center around the wells. The edsel drums are unique 11x2", so swap out backing plates and brakes from a full size car or truck. Also, case is weak like a war case, so if you're doing any spirited driving, use a later center section. Try to add a brace or stabilize bar or something to keep the axle tubes from flexing. All in all, a good reared, but a few flaws. We have one in our cougar.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.