FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/13/2014 1:49 PM  #1

sand blasting

Can anyone recommend someone that can sandblast a 66 coupe cheap? North Fort Worth.

1/14/2014 9:29 AM  #2

Re: sand blasting

I think in this day and age, when it comes to sandblasting car bodies, you get what you pay for. If you insist on cheap, don't expect a professional job. If by "cheap" you mean "a reasonably priced professional job", then call the House of Hot Rods and get pricing from them. They do a volume business, so their prices reflect it. Just don't expect a two day turnaround.

1/14/2014 9:50 AM  #3

I would also warn that if you get someone who doesn't know what they are doing you could end up with serious damage to your car (warped panels, etc).

There's a gentleman in Granbury I am going to use once I get the car dissassembled, he runs 100.00/hr. It's a lot, but he's good.

1/14/2014 2:44 PM  #4

You'll only need sand on the rusted areas. They used glass on the few rust spots I had. On just the paint areas I'd have them use a media less likely to cause heat and warp the panel. Mind was soda blasted 13 years ago without any paint adhesion issues. However the metal has to be prepped correctly. I agree that you get what you pay for.

In the pic you can see the right trunk area and right inner rocker where the soda didn't remove the rust. Btw, the rust was not visible beneath the paint.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

1/14/2014 8:49 PM  #5

Thanks for the advise guys.
I do not mind paying to get it done correctly I just do not want to over pay and if I can save some money along the way even better.  I also like it when someone can recommend a company.
Has anyone media blasted their own car? If so what equipment did you use.
Also has anyone ever used the equipment from Harbor Freight?

1/14/2014 8:59 PM  #6

I used a buddies HF blaster using aluminum oxide instead of sand once to do a rear axle. The sand I tried didn't flow very well. Not knowing how much rust you have, I'd use airplane stripper before a HF unit.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

1/14/2014 9:12 PM  #7

On mine I used aircraft stripper and then DA'd down to bare metal. A DA (just like blasting) needs a good compressor. Mine couldn't keep up so it took a lot longer. Looking back I should have just had someone blast it and that's what I will do for the interior and undercarriage.

BUTT™ If you're going to media blast (I used coal slag from Northern Tool) get a good dry air system and as I mentioned a solid compressor. The HF stuff isnt that bad if you have enough CFM and dry air.

1/15/2014 11:59 AM  #8

My strategy would be to use aircraft stripper FIRST then only sand blast the areas where there is rust present.  Also, be ready to immediately epoxy the sandblasted areas (if not the whole car!) because those little blasted pits will get rusty again on the way home from the sandblaster!  If that happens, you can guess the only solution is to blast it again...not good.

Aircraft stripper can go fast if you have a method.  Plan on a coat of stripper for every coat of material on the car.  Lay out four or five panels or work on the body and be methodical about painting/scraping the stripper on a the pieces in rotation.  Work somewhere there is no wind but adequate ventelation and the warmer the weather, the better.

I love my torque wrench. Deal with it.

1/16/2014 9:06 PM  #9

Good luck with what ever method you choose...But... PRIME it with epoxy primer as soon as you get it home,then do your metal work...bondo goes over epoxy primer with a light scuff...jj

"Never put a question mark where God put a period "  Richard Petty

1/17/2014 5:15 PM  #10

Thanks guys, where can I get the aircraft stripper?

1/17/2014 7:57 PM  #11

I've seen aircraft stripper at most auto parts stores; o'reilly's, autozone, etc......

1/17/2014 8:53 PM  #12

mustangJoe wrote:

I picked mine up at Home Depot. Get the old style stuff not the new "green" offering

1/21/2014 12:48 PM  #13

Raymond_B wrote:

mustangJoe wrote:

I picked mine up at Home Depot. Get the old style stuff not the new "green" offering

Perfect advice.  Don't buy the 'nice' stuff.  You need hardcore aircraft stripper or you will double the materials and time.

I love my torque wrench. Deal with it.

1/21/2014 3:15 PM  #14

I have only been to one place that I would let remove paint or rust from bodywork.  http://www.consolidatedstripping.com/

They usually put the whole thing in their rather large oven and cook off as much as possible. They also have a lot of experience and often tell you they won't blast your parts, that you should use stripper. They have blasted a lot of heavy stuff for me for work, and some car parts as well. They usually talk me into aircraft stripper for hoods and doors and stuff where any wave would be noticable. Their rates are good too.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.