FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/14/2014 10:41 PM  #1

New Member.. need help.. TIMING

Ok 

So introduction: 27 year old guy living in Dallas area, new to restored vehicles, love my stang, its a '65 red mustang 289 with C4 tranny.

Have had to rebuild the tranny and the suspension since I got it. The old restorer just did not do things right.. UGHH.. well.. I am enjoying working on it, as it heps me learn but gets frustrating sometimes.. but hey.. Dont wanna be a cry baby haha..

Was directed here by Debby Starkey Motors in Garland. Thanks to her.. as  this seems to be a place I can ask my questions. 

My first question: TIMING:

---> dallas mustang changed my harmonic balancer, and installed a Holley 650 4bbl carb
---> Car kept not idleling right and or overheating and giving me 6-7miles to the gallon. AND pinging in texas heat..
---> Found out dallas mustang set my base timing to a random value and connect vaccum advance to FULL Vaccum port on Carb putting Idle timing at 30degrees advance sometimes more. 
----> Didnt make sense and obviously this wasnt right, I changed it to the right rpm based vaccum port on my carb
---> Played with timing to stop the engine knock at high rpm and high throttle positions
----> I think one day playing with timing I bumped the distributor to where I saw the timing on the harmonic balancer as 12degrees. 
---> (HERE COMS OUT THE NOOB) didnt know there is -10----0---10----20---30--- markings on the harmonic balancer. 
---> checked a few months later and I was actually 8 degrees retarded (-8) rather than what I htought was advance 12degree base timing. 
---> changed timing to +12 ---- advance 12 degrees Pinging on the engine came back...
---> Vaccum advance works as when I hooked it on the vaccum tit,  total advance goes upto 40 or 50 somewhere, while with it off, I would get the mechanical advance from my distributor of about 20 degrees. 
-----.> With the engine pinging I went down slowly 2 degrees at a time, and now I am 4 degrees retarded and the engine is still pinging if I give high throttle at 50-55 mph. Its less that what it was before, but definitely there.. 

The spark plugs are gapped and new, spark plug wires are new, Petronix electronic point in my distributor, 10000V flame thrower petronix coil, 93 octane.. pinging increses qith 87 octane. DONOT know the engine compression.. never tested it.. 

I am baffled confused and just defeated. I understand the concept of vaccum advance, I think, i understand the concept of timing advance. I have no idea if Dallas mustang actually set TDC on my new harmonic balancer as my #1 cylinder...I would very well hope they did. I need some help .. A lot ofhelo actually  
Sorry for the loooong post. I will ad info if I remember it .. Please ask more questions to better assess the situation  

Thanks Y'all 

If it aint broke, I have'nt tried to "Fix" it yet!

1/14/2014 10:49 PM  #2

Re: New Member.. need help.. TIMING

Has your engine been rebuilt and if so, what are the specs?

If not, and IMHO, that's a lot of carb for a 289......

1/14/2014 10:55 PM  #3

Yes its a rebuilt engine. The engine came with a 4bbl edelbrock on it, the carb was old and sloppy... and hated it.. as it kept stalling in the middle of the street and choke wouldnt ever work ..so  got this holley installed.. Anyone who has heard the engine says it seems to have a longer duration cam in it, and sounds heavier than a 289.. sounds like a 302 lol.. But It is not as far as I know.

It does have headers.

DOnot know the specs on the rebuild Sir.. I am so sorry. Like I said, I didnt ask quite as many needed questions as i should have. I am learning

The car was sold to me by a guy/ dealership/restoration owner in ILLINOIS who was selling for someone. The car defeinitely is beautiful.. had all the parts.. but needed a bunch of rework.. A LOT .. which was discovered later.. and still being discovered. 

1/14/2014 10:59 PM  #4

I think you may be on to something on the top dead center - based on some of the history, you can't necessarily be sure that zero on the damper is actually top dead center.  There are some devices you can install in #1 plug to allow you to bump the piston against a stop clockwise and counter clockwise to find true TDC.  You can try with a screwdriver but when the piston is on top it doesn't move very much and can be hard to see/feel when it is all the way up.

A 650 is probably not ideal but can still run if properly set up - just not with the snappy throttle response that a 500 might give you.  You seem to have a good handle on the vac advance but for best performance it is helpful to actually have the distributor curved when its history is unknown.  Based on engine specs, a qualified person (hard to find) can adjust the vac and mech advance to match the motor.  At this point, however, I would start hunting for vac. leaks and verify that the carb gasket and base matches your intake, etc.  Look for the simple things first.

1/15/2014 8:45 AM  #5

It sounds like DM did not care much about the quality of the job they performed for you, as the car never should have been returned to you in the condition it's in.

There are harmonic balancers that have the timing marks on the driver side, and there are balancers that have the timing marks on the passenger side.  The balancer must match the timing pointer position on the timing cover. 

You need to determine exactly what you have, and if the camshaft firing order is correct for the way the plug wires are routed. There are two different firing orders that could have been used as well.  A 289 or early 302 would use 1 5 4 2 6 3 7 8 and a 5.0 roller cam or a 351W cam would use 1 3 7 2 6 5 4 8.  A 289 or 302 will run with the 351W cam, even connected with the old 289 firing order, but it will sound really weird and will be way down on power if the wrong firing order is chosen.

So, you need to determine exactly what you have before you can get it right.

First, this might help, but is not 100% definitive of what cam is in there... Look on the engine block right above the starter and write down the numbers cast onto the block.  Post them here.  That will at least give us some indication of what year the block is, and that MIGHT indicate what cam is in it.

Then, take a look at your timing cover.  What side is the pointer on?

Look at the water pump.  What side is the lower radiator hose on?

Look at the balancer.  There are also two different possible balance weights on it.  Sometimes it is very difficult to see the weights with it installed, and maybe you can see them from underneath.  Get pics of the weights if you can.  Some have the imbalance made into the outer ring and some have them made into the center hub, on the engine side of the hub.  Then take a look at the stamped timing numbers.  Alot of aftermarket balancers have the numbers in two different locations so they can be used on engines with the two different locations of pointers.

Then there is the flywheel, which you cannot see unless you remove the inspection plate in front of the bellhousing.  It would be nice to know which balance is on the flywheel.  A picture of it would be great to post for more info.

Next, what distributor does it have?

None of this will tell for sure what CAM you have in there, but a simple plug wire swap from one to the other will usually sort that out.

As you can surmise, there are many varied ways one can screw up with a small block Ford engine if they mix and mismatch the wrong parts.  From the description of the car, with alot of things half-way (nicely worded) done, there is no telling what you have without some detective work.

I am thinking a road trip to Ovilla is in your near future.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

1/15/2014 12:48 PM  #6

Hey gaba welcome to the forum. Would you mind telling me the name of the dealer in Illinois?  Thats where I live and curious where it came from. Also might tell alot about the car

1/15/2014 2:06 PM  #7

Terry : This car came from a guy Chris Moffitt from Ko-ON Klassics restorations and contrating company.. Monticello IL

Mustang Steve: my engine has the timing marker on the drivers side, and lower radiator hose towards the passenger side.

The weight on the harmonic balancer looked like it was on the center hub, form what I recall when once I was under the car. I will try to take a pic

I will have to go under to look for the block number too, I will try to get that info as soon as as I can

Distributor is the old ford stock looks like, is there an idetifier on it?

Car is at starkey motors right now, getting motor mount fixed (one broke) .. once that is done, I will have the car, and will have time to look into all of this and take pictures.

Firing order as far as how my distributor is hooked up, is 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8 .. I remember cause I recently tightened my lifters to stop tapping and had to get that order written

Like I said , once I get the car I can give more info..

As far as trip to Ovilla, its only 40 minutes from my house.. I am willing to make that trip if I can get help form someone who knows stuff :D which I have been told that you are "the guru" :D :D

I really would love to get in touch with you over the phone or text, and if you have time, drop by sometime, and have you take a look, and give me pointers REALLY will appreciate that

Last edited by Gaba (1/15/2014 2:12 PM)

1/16/2014 9:21 AM  #8

Welcome to the forum GABA!! I bought my mustang is 04 and I was 25. This forum has definitely helped me and saved me at times. I have wanted to sell the thing many times. Then usually from the support of this forum I get back on the horse. I live in Canton, TX and work in Flower Mound. I don't mind meeting up at some time and taking a look at what you got? Shoot me a PM if that's cool. I also have parts laying around that you might need. Don't hesitate to ask everyone. You might be suprised at what tools and parts people have around here.

1966 Mustang Fastback K-Code,289,T-5, 9-inch rear with 3.50 gears.

1/16/2014 9:50 AM  #9

Thank oyu so much for that. I go to church in Flower mound The Village. I would love to get in touch with you Sir.

Yes, I will ask my questions here for sure. Belive I have got a LOT of them :D

1/16/2014 5:26 PM  #10

Welcome to the best early Mustang/Ford forum on the web.  You won't be sorry that you dropped in.

And...don't forget the Bash.  Every year, the most fun you can have legally.  This year it's in Vandalia, IL and I happen to know there are a number of Texicans making the trip.  Get that pony tuned up and hook up with 'em.  I gaurantee you'll have a great time.  Nothing like a road trip in an old Mustang.

Best to you.  Sounds like you got lots of local talent to help with your woes.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

1/16/2014 6:09 PM  #11

Do you have a timming light? If so that would be your friend. If not you can do it the old man way loosen the distributor adjust to full timming till ping then back off slightly. Then adjust carb settings to propor adjustment. Allot of old wrench pullers like this. I prefer a light but hey to each their own.

1/16/2014 6:27 PM  #12

Ohh believe me !! I know it's a ton of fun taking a road trip in my old stang. When I bought it in IL, I drove down to Texas the same day. Yes I was adventurous enough, that I was willing to do that on an unknown car. Can't imagine what my car would feel like with all that I have fixed on it.. It was in such bad shape then .. Just didn't know it haha

I have a timing light definitely no idea about how to do without. That's how I have been timing this thing. With that is how I found what values I was running..

Can't wait to get the car back, and meet some of these local!!

1/16/2014 8:07 PM  #13

Well, get that thing running properly and come Sept you can drive it back to Illinois for the Bash!!  you will only be an hour away from where you bought it

1/20/2014 8:42 PM  #14

Alright folks I got the car back. And I wanted to update y'all with some info. 

The car was still pinging as usual on high RPM's with 93 octane.  

A member from the forum Tmac offered to come over this weekend and help me figure out the TDC with zero mark

So I was around DM, and just for some reason I thought DM should be held accountable to answer this to me. So I went in, the mechanic who worked o my car told me that, the harmonic balancer can only go in 1 way. it apparently has a key on it, and it only fits one way so there is no messing up the TDC mark one way or the other. it has to be at zero

he said that he will check the centrifugal and vaccum advances.. hoping that vaccum advance restrictor isnt broken giving me just wayy too much vaccum advance. 

So he checked the vaccum and it seemed good. Then he checked the centrifugal or mechanical advance, and found that the I was getting 22-26 degrees of just mechanical advance.. added to it 20 more on the vaccum and base timing of say 12 gives me a whopping 56+ degrees. He said, the distributor is worn up, the springs are too loose and thats causing these issues. 

He gave me few options  : 

1) Change the distributor and vaccum advance

2) remove the vaccum advance line for now and run base timing with no vaccum advance with just cetrifugal advance. He said it wont be too much of a difference on gas mileage.

3) put electronic ignition like MSD or petronix (which is a BIG expenditure, and I dont know where to even begin searching what I might need) 

So , how much of this do you think was true,? and how much of this was bull honkie. ? 

What do you suggest doing? 

If you think I can run for now.. with base timing and mechanical advance, what advance value you would run like 7-9 or 12-14 ? and then back it off if needed... 

Please let me know. 

Gaba

1/20/2014 9:02 PM  #15

I just found this link today.  It shows the curve for a 4V 289 stock distributor. http://www.mustangbarn.com/Techinfoimages/C5GF-12127-A.jpg.  You are not too far off as far as total timing - you need to double the values as the table shows distributor advance.  Crank advance is double the distributor.  So, you can have 20 to 28 degrees mechanical and 22 degrees of vac. if I am reading it correctly.  That 56 only comes in when you have limited engine demand at speed.  When you push the pedal to accelerate the vac at the timed port will drop off some and drop the timing back.  But, I suspect the mechanic is right about your distributor.  If you are getting too much advance too early from weak springs, you could get into a ping.  A rebuild or a Duraspark may be in your future to get it right.  For now, running without vacuum will eliminate pinging but the curve is still not tuned for good driving and is a bandaid.  Yes, there are pure mechanical distributors but they run a different curve than a vac advance so you are not really running a hot rod mechanical distributor if you simply remove the line.  But, you can also get symptoms you describe if you have an engine that is carboned up with hot spots on the pistons or if you are running a real hot spark plug heat range.  Pull the plugs and see how they look and verify the plug number to make sure they are right for the motor.  It is hard to read plugs today with modern fuel but rich or fouled plugs are still pretty obvious.

For comparison, here is a link to the Boss 302 curve http://www.mustangbarn.com/Techinfoimages/C9ZF-12127-E.jpg - less mechanical and vacuum and includes a vacuum retard to match the needs of that particular motor.  Most aftermarket distributors will povide maximum performance if recurved to match the motor.

Last edited by GPatrick (1/20/2014 9:23 PM)

1/20/2014 10:40 PM  #16

Reincarnation-automotive.com/Duraspark
Go to this site (found on google or bing) and it has pictures and great info on how to re-curve your duraspark distrib for top performance(you can feel in the old"butt-o-meter-dyno") Even reccommends which duraspark to try and get at the auto parts store. You will need the light advance springs to install in the duraspark to get the quicker advance.(about $10 bucks or less) Insure...IF you have a roller cam to get the steel drive gear on the distrib. If not....the cast iron is fine.
Come HERE for any questions.............we'll hook-you-up!
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

1/21/2014 10:33 AM  #17

Gaba, I discussed the proceedure for checking for the correct timing and checking the correct functioning of the distributor in a post to Uwiik, dated 1-11-2014.  All you will need is a timing light and a tachometer.
It's quicker for you to go to that post than it is for me to re-write it.
Good Luck.

1/23/2014 4:35 PM  #18

I was asked about the cam and here it is.. Is it stock ? Is it milder? or harder (or whatever it would be called) ..

Let me know

1/23/2014 10:18 PM  #19

Gaba wrote:

I was asked about the cam and here it is.. Is it stock ? Is it milder? or harder (or whatever it would be called) ..

Let me know

Nope.........that sure ain't stock!! Even bigger than the hi-po 289 from the factory. It's the LSA that gives it the rumipty-rump idle(do you have those numbers?) butt........220/224@050 is a nice street rod  grind. Get a new distrib and set it up like that site I posted sez............you should be good with NO PINGING.
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

1/24/2014 8:01 AM  #20

Gaba wrote:

3) put electronic ignition like MSD or petronix (which is a BIG expenditure, and I dont know where to even begin searching what I might need) 

Gaba

If you decide to change to modern MSD ignition you can go to Msdignition.com and enter the car you have and it will give you the parts you need, basically new dizzy, new coil and an ignition box.  its been a while since I converted mine but I believe thats all you need. around $600 from Summitt.  they are not extremely complicated to change over just a few wires to rerun and get into the correct place. 
There is plenty of help around you if you decide this is the route you want to take

1/28/2014 12:52 PM  #21

I'm gonna take the liberty of correcting the identity of Gaba's motor itself to a '69 302 originally installed in a Fairlane or Torino.  We did confirm the crank is at least not 289 and the casting code under the starter dictates the engine is 302.

Gaba, message me or Larry and I will forward you a picture of your casting code. 

Last edited by Deb (1/28/2014 12:55 PM)

I love my torque wrench. Deal with it.

1/28/2014 3:53 PM  #22

Thanks a lot Deb for updateing this thread

yes I do have a 302 bored .030 over. I am happy! I didnt care so much about numbers match personally, and if I was to "upgrade" i was gonna do 302 anywaz. WHICH IS GOOD! :D

So . my timing is now set to 10 degrees advanced, the machanic at Starkey motors, made sure my TDC was 0at the balancer, and #1 at the distributor when the heads were off. They did amazing work with my car

The car runs diferent now. A LOT different than it used to. They said my Distributor did not need changing so dont worry about that. The car is not pinging as of now, but the temps have been in the 30's---40's so I cant judge so fast. Still waiting for the temperatures to go above 70 degrees to make sure the T-stat is open, engine is at working temperature, and then see how it does. As of now. I am happy I have my car back and she is doing well.

EXCEPT for a header leak.. which I cant figure out how to get rid of

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.