FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/16/2014 7:17 PM  #1

How to id 50 oz vs 28 oz balancers

Hey Guys/Gals, I am really close to having a serpentine set up on my 68 302...But, the 28 oz balencer that came on the engine is a 3 bolt set up and sticks out too far for belt alignment. I have another balancer (Blue one I think its off a 78 302), but could be off the 351W I got rid off. I'm unsure what weight it is and if its interchangeable. the black one is original 68 28 oz imbalence that came w engine I believe. numbers on the blue one are:  RG 3
numbers on black one are:  C90E-6316-D2 SS11
Can someone help me out here. If the blue one is a 50 oz, any idea what year balewncer I need to find to get one the same depth w 4 holes for the pulley? Thanks

Last edited by mainiac1 (1/16/2014 7:19 PM)

Stupid Hurts!...66 coupe, 302, 4 wheel disks...lots of Mods

1/16/2014 8:38 PM  #2

Re: How to id 50 oz vs 28 oz balancers

Pretty sure both of those shown are 28 ounce.  The 4-bolt one is from a 70 or newer, up to 80 or thereabout.

The one pictured above is a 50 ounce.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

1/16/2014 8:47 PM  #3

Timing marks are quite a bit off between the 2 I have. They do look pretty close in the outside metal remove in the curve and I did read somewher up to 80 are 28 oz, thanks for the info.

1/16/2014 8:54 PM  #4

Your 68 302 has timing marks on the driver side and lower hose on passenger side.  The different balancers have the timing marks on opposite sides.  Looking at the face of the balancer, put the keyway at 12:00 o'clock,  if the timing marks are on the left (about 10:00 o'clock) it is a 70 or newer.  If on the right (about 2:00 o'clock) it is a 69 or older.

The best bet for you in order to change to a serpentine belt system is to order a 28 ounce balancer from SUMMIT RACING.  They make one with 3 and 4 bolt patterns on the same balancer and it comes with a removable spacer for fitting various pulleys.  They are pretty good quality.  I have one on my 427, but it is a zero balance, simply by unbolting and removing the weight.  Around $80 as I recall.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

1/17/2014 6:06 PM  #5

Good idea Steve...started to clean up the old blue one and has been abused some by the looks. Ordered a new one from Jegga today.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.