FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/18/2014 11:21 PM  #1

Question on Crown Vic and Mercury wheels from 1993

Hi all:

I bought a set of wheels on the cheap a full year before I bought my 66 Stang last July.  Picked up some Merc wheels and I am getting ready to put tires on the wheels and replace the 14 stock skinnies....

So I measured the width at 6.5 between the inside lips. And, I was thinking 215 60 R 15.  But I had my tape out and to my surprise i measured 16" across the wheels.   I looked on line and found these should be 15" but I am confused since my measuring reveals 16"

I must be doing something wrong, or some of these wheels are made as 16" and not all were 15"

Part number inside wheels reveals F3AC-1007-KA  and there is a 93 on the wheels.  I found these are Grand Marquis and Crown Victoria wheels.

Anyone ever hear of these coming in size 16?

1/19/2014 2:19 AM  #2

Re: Question on Crown Vic and Mercury wheels from 1993

Are you measuring the wheel correctly?

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

1/19/2014 7:46 AM  #3

This link at Rims And Tires allows you to do a "what iff" to determine OD and width for a variety of tire sizes.  It also shows the measurements that RPM showed.  I did a quick search on Tire Rack and a 215/70/15 is OEM for a 93 Crown Vic. so it sounds like you were measuring overall OD and not the bead OD.

http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp

1/19/2014 8:07 AM  #4

Thanks, guys!   MS Steve posse to the rescue. I'll take another look later today and verify it was me getting wrong size.  Suspect it is.  60 series tire is as tall as I wanna go.  Thanks, DD.

1/19/2014 9:19 AM  #5

Look at the back of the wheel. The size should be stamped into it somewhere. It should look something like: 15x8JJ

The first # is the diameter and the second is the width.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by zakdaddy99 (1/19/2014 9:20 AM)

Good, fast or cheap. Pick any two...

1/19/2014 9:38 AM  #6

Desert Duck wrote:

Hi all:

I bought a set of wheels on the cheap a full year before I bought my 66 Stang last July. Picked up some Merc wheels and I am getting ready to put tires on the wheels and replace the 14 stock skinnies....

So I measured the width at 6.5 between the inside lips. And, I was thinking 215 60 R 15. But I had my tape out and to my surprise i measured 16" across the wheels. I looked on line and found these should be 15" but I am confused since my measuring reveals 16"

I must be doing something wrong, or some of these wheels are made as 16" and not all were 15"

Part number inside wheels reveals F3AC-1007-KA and there is a 93 on the wheels. I found these are Grand Marquis and Crown Victoria wheels.

They did put 16" wheels on some of the Crown Vics and Grand Marquis during that time....

"The OLDER I Get....The FASTER I Was..."

1/19/2014 4:37 PM  #7

Mach1_Ron wrote:

Desert Duck wrote:

Hi all:

I bought a set of wheels on the cheap a full year before I bought my 66 Stang last July. Picked up some Merc wheels and I am getting ready to put tires on the wheels and replace the 14 stock skinnies....

So I measured the width at 6.5 between the inside lips. And, I was thinking 215 60 R 15. But I had my tape out and to my surprise i measured 16" across the wheels. I looked on line and found these should be 15" but I am confused since my measuring reveals 16"

Part number inside wheels reveals F3AC-1007-KA and there is a 93 on the wheels. I found these are Grand Marquis and Crown Victoria wheels.

They did put 16" wheels on some of the Crown Vics and Grand Marquis during that time....

Aha...,,,, so there were some 16's!   These may be some of those!   I re measured!  16 inches on all of them!

1/19/2014 7:18 PM  #8

You planning on useing the 16's?!
IF....I were to use something besides the 15's I have...it would be 16's!! Not too big(looks like a "match box racer car"IMHO) butt bigger than the 14's/15's.
Check the backspace and offset and all that stuff. The older Mustangs are "touchey" about mounting larger tires/wheels. How bout some pictures?!
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

1/19/2014 9:44 PM  #9

1/19/2014 9:48 PM  #10

1/19/2014 9:49 PM  #11

I'm partial to the black steelies.

1/19/2014 9:55 PM  #12

I love the black steelies too.  but they are 14 X Skinny and though it is total sleeper look which I love, eventually I'll want some speed in the corners.   Not going to get too carried away.  Mainly increased springs front and rear, a 1" or 1 1/8" front sway bart and either rear sway bar or panhard from Maier Racing out back.  Don't know what I'll do with shocks. Probably Grab-a-trak unless it starts rainig dollars

the sleeper stock look is what drew me to it originally when we found it on Craigslist last summer.

1/19/2014 10:43 PM  #13

I always thought those CV wheels were kind of cool looking.  You may be able to experiment with center caps.  i.e.; on a 90 Mustang turbine wheel that has the dogbuttugly 4 lug plastic center caps, a 99 Taurus alloy wheel's center cap that is spun aluminum and had a Ford oval stamped into it snaps right in place and transforms the wheel to a good looking piece.

I be there are some newer ones that will fit that wheel from the CV as well.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

1/19/2014 11:07 PM  #14

Thanks for center cap ideas, Steve, I'll start geeking out on those suggestions.

And hey, thank you ALL for your replies. I was on there from 2003 through 2009 or so, as "GT/CS Mike."

The past 4.5 years without a Stang were important to get my priorities sorted, but ssoooooooo glad I'm back and with a car to wrench on!

1/20/2014 5:32 PM  #15

Yup them ought to look verah Cool on yer Stang.
I've always liked them. Mo better than Po-Po Steelies!!

Tubo

If it ain't broke, I haven't modified it Yet

1/20/2014 5:45 PM  #16

Rattle can black on the new wheels will get you right back in sleeper mode!

65 mustang coupe, 351W, C6-  2800 stall, B&M blower, 9inch- trac-loc 3.70 gears

1/20/2014 6:04 PM  #17

Good ideas on painting those CV wheels black.    Really three choices as I see it:

1) leave em natural silver alloy
2) keep edge silver and paint spokes and center black ... for silver edge to stay same.
3) paint them all black.   

Would you paint them gloss black, semi gloss or flat black?

Thanks, all y'all...

1/20/2014 7:58 PM  #18

If you're going to paint them, I've heard good reviews on Plasti dip.

1/21/2014 3:07 AM  #19

Keeping the rim edge natural would be a nice touch, I would go with gloss.  Your going to want to enlist a bunch of kids with tiny fingers and a scotch Brite pad to get in between all those wholes!   Maybe the plasti dip thing would be best- make sure you loose the white walls!

65 mustang coupe, 351W, C6-  2800 stall, B&M blower, 9inch- trac-loc 3.70 gears

1/21/2014 7:15 AM  #20

Thanks rpm and BrentS....

Spent an hour looking at plasti dip. Gonna try it!   I'll take pics and report back on here 

Gonna do the cans myself.   There are local services here in Utah that will do it for you, but $100 and then  $120 are two quotes I got on line last night, for the four wheels to be plast dip'ed in black.  One outfit wanted another$50 for gloss layer on top of regular plasti dip flat black...

I need to tell  you guys...  I got these wheels CHEAP!   They were on KSL.com, a local news and on line classified, the summer of 2012, for a whopping $50 for all four!  Guy had an ad, saying he just wanted them gone from his garage.  I shot him a text stating that since I currently didn't even have a project car, the best I could do would be $25.   He snapped up my offer.  Felt guilty a bit, but I hadn't yet saved enough $$$ for the Stang or Cougar I was after!   One man's junk....  is another man's treasure....

1/21/2014 11:38 AM  #21

rpm wrote:

If you're going to paint them, I've heard good reviews on Plasti dip.

X2!
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

1/21/2014 7:54 PM  #22

Those will look good

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.