FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/20/2014 8:43 PM  #1

painting

When painting bare steal what is the best stuff do you put on it? I have been told to just primer it what do you all say. Thanks for any help on this matter.

1/20/2014 9:07 PM  #2

Re: painting

I think its called SPI Epoxy Primer.  Good stuff!

1/20/2014 9:14 PM  #3

Are you doing the final paint?  With modern paints you may need to figure out what primers are compatible with the top coat paint you intend to use - both color (gray, white, or black) and type - your local paint supplier can guide you.  If you are having someone else paint the car, ask them what primer they would prefer to work with.

1/21/2014 1:09 AM  #4

You can get stuff called feather it I believe and it will go over bare properly prepared steel. If you have a local keystone automotive they have some good products. If your gonna do your filler work as well they have they're brand of filler is rebadged USC rage filler but for a fraction of the cost.  Not that you'd need it but they sell four packs of it for 32.00. Great deal. I also am very fond of they're brand of 3 in 1 polyester primer it's high build and super easy to sand. It's like spraying body filler over the whole car.

1/21/2014 1:18 AM  #5

I also was impressed with the tcpglobal.com custom shop primers. I sprayed an 85 chevy k10 pickup with they're epoxy primer this was before I found keystone. But my truck hasn't shown any signs of rust coming threw. I love they're sanding block they're called a k block very comfortable to work with

1/21/2014 10:29 AM  #6

No going old school paint like what was on the car in 1968.

1/21/2014 10:48 AM  #7

Mustang Guy wrote:

Well, I would think you want to match the color, but use current technology. Kind of like Radial vs Bias ply

Anyway, paint is a big investment in both time and labor so you want good products that give you a solid foundation. I would also recommend starting with SPI Epoxy Primer.

1/21/2014 12:40 PM  #8

Mustang Guy wrote:

Why?  The products that are used on modern cars are no more expensive, and much more durable.

Featherfil is what the previous commenter was refering to.  It is a sprayable poly filler (like sprayable Dolphin Glaze)  that you can spray over bare metal.  It is fantastic for blocking out imperfections, but you MUST primer over it (and block again) because you can not paint over it. 

SO:

If your bodywork is already great, use epoxy primer and (following the flash directions) immediately use automotive primer over the epoxy on the exterior of the car.  Block the primer then use your choice of paint. 

Inside the car, you can epoxy and then paint right over that epoxy so long as it's a low traffic area and your bodywork is as perfect as you want it.

If your bodywork is almost perfect, but not perfect enough for primer, then use Featherfil, block it and then use primer, block it and then use paint of your choice.

Do not spray the automotive primer over bare metal.  It will not stick.  You absolutely have to find a product made specifically for bare metal.  

I love my torque wrench. Deal with it.

1/21/2014 1:51 PM  #9

SPI Epoxy is designed (and recommended) to go over bare metal. You can apply filler or poly primer over it no problem.

1/21/2014 3:01 PM  #10

I agree stay away from the old style lacqer primers they are pouros and moisture seeps through unless you use a sealer, and make sure you have a good water separator on your compressor. On top coats the new base coat clear coats are as easy to use as the old acrylic enamels and a hell of alot more forgiving. 

I made enough money to buy Miami, but pissed it away so fast

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.