FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/26/2014 10:10 AM  #1

68 mustang 4 wheel disk problems

I have a 68 mustang fastback "J" code with an automatic trans. The car had 4 wheel manual drums on it. I have replaced the rear end with a Versailles rear end. I ran it with disk on the back drums on the front for a couple months with no issues. Have recently changed the front to disk using 69 cougar disk spindles. Bought some OEM SSBC roters and calipers. Replaced the drum master cylinder with a 68 mustang disk brake master cylinder. Still have the original drum brake pedal & proportioning valve.  I have bench bled the master cylinder, bled the brakes several times. It builds psi on the brake pedal when bleeding. Once u let off the brake pedal & reapply the pedal goes clear to the floor.  

So main issue is we iniatially get good pedal psi. Once u let off the brake pedal and reapply the brakes, the pedal goes to the floor.

Assuming the issues lies in the proportioning valve. Can u get a new proportioning valve? Or just have to get one offline. And Versillias, Granada, does it matter which valve (my rear end is Versailles). If i can still get new ones does anyone have the part numbers.

Thanks for the the help.

Last edited by Stangin68Fastback (1/26/2014 11:07 AM)

1/26/2014 11:19 AM  #2

Re: 68 mustang 4 wheel disk problems

I stock the new valve for $90, but I doubt it is the problem. 

Do you have the master cylinder plumbed correctly?  Front bowl goes to rear brakes and rear bowl, nearest firewall, goes to front brakes.

You have a very unuaual problem there.  Are the Versaillse rear calipers adjusted properly with the pads right up to the rotors?  You said it worked fine prior... Was anything changed in the rear when you installed the front discs?

Do you have the front calipers on the correct side of the car?  The bleeders point towards the REAR, not straight up.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

1/26/2014 12:17 PM  #3

I do have the bleeders pointing up.  I will switch them. Not really understanding if that's gonna solve my problem. Reverified all the plumbing all is correct.  Nothing was touched on the back brakes.  I drove the car all last summer with no issues.  Just to reconfirm I did change the master cylinders and I still have the 4 wheel drum proportioning valve in the car.  Shouldn't  I need a disk brake valve. Curiosity is getting the best of me know. What's the difference between the drum valve and a Versailles valve.  One more strange thing is when bleeding the brakes, and when we had pressure we could hear fluid moving in the system. Nothing leaking though.
Thanks for your time and help.

1/26/2014 1:09 PM  #4

See the picture in my first post.  The valve shown has a proportioning valve built into it where yours is simply a differential pressure valve.  Not the lines to the rear brakes are offset from the inlet above it.  There is a spring loaded resistance valve in between the two (hence the offset) where yours is just straight through.  The ones with the differential pressure valve AND proportioning valve are known as COMBINATION valves and are only for use with disc brakes.

Go to my Granada brake installation page.  You will see WHY you need to have the bleeders pointing to the rear.  With them pointing straight up, you cannot get the air out of the front calipers.  That is why the pedal goes to the floor.  When you are bleeding the brakes, and have applied multiple pedal strokes to the system, it compresses that air where it feels like you have some pedal.  But, when you release the pedal, the air is no longer compressed and the pedal will go down.

1/26/2014 1:14 PM  #5

1/26/2014 2:09 PM  #6

Ok makes sense now. Thank you. So if rotating the calipers fixes my bake pedal problem, will I then need to get a proportionining valve?

1/26/2014 4:38 PM  #7

You will still need a proportioning valve with front disc brakes on the car. No matter what.

1/26/2014 6:52 PM  #8

For what its worth... I am using an original 67  drum/drum distribution block in my 67 FB with 2004 Cobra  power discs all around...no proportioning valve ...brakes are perfect...jj

"Never put a question mark where God put a period "  Richard Petty

1/26/2014 10:08 PM  #9

There are lots of ways to do things.  It is generally accepted that a proportioning valve will make a panic stop alot less exciting.  And you won't know it is working until you really need it.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.