FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/29/2014 11:08 PM  #1

Urethane sway bar bushings

It's time to put the bars on the car.  I have some urethane bushings from canadian Mustang.  They are of course quite hard and the have a slit cut in them to aid in putting them on the bar.  So what is a good way to get them on?  There is not too much give in the bushing if you wanted to spread it from inside the hole.to slip it over the bar.  Especially the front bar.

Volvo!

1/30/2014 8:34 AM  #2

Re: Urethane sway bar bushings

My urethane ones have been put back in the box and are on the shelf. I tried them on the street car but were too solid and noisy. Harsh and squeaky even with the special lube. The good old rubber ones are great! The urethane ones for the race car split the first track session and have been replaced with solid aluminum ones. Nicely harsh and I can't hear a darn thing with the open exhaust.

1/30/2014 9:36 AM  #3

Coat them liberaly with lithium grease and pop them over the bar. They should flex enough to go on albiet with some difficulty.

Urethane bushings are prone to squeeking and occaisionally require a relube, some aftermarket ones come with a bracket that has a zerk.
If you have o/e brackets you could drill and tap them and put a zerk in them. If you do that get a dremel and cut an internal groove for even dipersion of the grease.
Oh yeah, if you do this make sure you drill a hole through the bushing  from the zerk in the bracket .

Have fun!

Last edited by Rudi (1/30/2014 9:37 AM)

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

1/30/2014 10:26 AM  #4

Good tips.  They came with brackets stamped from flat stock.  Part of the zerk would protrude into the bushing so the hole to the bar would be OK.  A considerable amount of shaving would have to be done if they were to go in the OEMs.  Probably a belt sander would do the job. 

Volvo!

1/30/2014 3:11 PM  #5

I would recommend against them on the street.  You will constantly be having to grease them and will then have a greasy area on your car to collect dirt and dust.  They get squeaky and noisy if not thoroughly lubed.

To install them, just slide them on the bar from the ends.  An aftermarket mount can be found that will fit them perfectly.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

1/30/2014 10:59 PM  #6

While brainstorming at work we decided the thing to do is cut the other side to make two halves and screw them or wire them back together.  I had forgotten this is what I did back in the mid 80s when I had a differant size bar and made bushings out of Delrin.  I also had end link bushings that were Delrin or something that were used on Trans Ams. 

Volvo!

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.