FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/16/2014 8:48 PM  #1

Which sparkplugs for 393 stroker?

I am going to install a new MSD 6A box and Blaster II coil to go with the Duraspark dist., which I have been using since I installed the egine a few years ago. I had 2 Duraspark moduels go bad last summer so I thought I would try MSD stuff this time. Am wondering what plugs others are using with similar engines. You can go to my website link below to get more info on the engine.

Hosted Mustang Steve Birthday Bash 2009        http://www.tm66mustang.com

2/16/2014 9:21 PM  #2

Re: Which sparkplugs for 393 stroker?

T, I'm not running a 393 but I am running all MSD ignition.  Dizzy, 6al and Blaster coil.  I am running E3s not sure I can tell any difference but have not had any problems.

Also I sent you an email to your sbc address!!

2/17/2014 8:11 PM  #3

Just bringing post back to top.

2/18/2014 10:55 AM  #4

To avoid changing too many things at once, I would run whatever plug you are currently running when you switch to MSD and start there.  If it was in the ballpark heat range wise, there is no real benefit in changing - if it ain't broke don't fix it.  I found a few items that may be of interest - the one below is probably the most useful on plug type from MSD tech -I can't give a specific recommendation for your application as every application will be different.

What I can recommend is that you use a good quality normal copper plug, staying away from any type of speciality or 'hype' plug such as platinim or iridium. Pick a plug heat range that might be a little colder than what you would expect by 1-2 heat ranges. 

As far as gap goes, start at about .035 and bump the gap up in .005 increments until the engine idles smoothly and when reading the plug you show a nice 'clean' burn; not too rich not too lean, with a nice carmel /paperbag color on the porcelain of the plug.

From what I have read over the years. MSD systems SOMETIMES have problems with platinum plugs due to the size of the conductor.  Your results will vary but when in doubt, follow the recommendations of the manufacturer - they often know how their own systems work best.

I can't seem to find your link any longer but when I looked at it the other day your motor seems to lay down in the higher RPM ranges.  Your carb may be a bit small for the application or you may be running too stiff a spring on your vac. secondary which is preventing it from fully opening (if it is vac.).  Your A/F ratio looked pretty good and if the motor performs the way you like, ignore my observation.  Exhaust, intake, cam, and heads also have an influence on torque and horsepower and the carb may actually be well suited to the total tune of your motor.  

2/19/2014 9:17 AM  #5

Thanks guys. I will use the plugs I have been running in it and see how they work.  As for the carb, Summit street strip 600 vac sec, it works very good with my setup, very responsive and good street maners.

2/19/2014 4:26 PM  #6

Terry G......I have the MSD box and coil with a duraspark distrib.
I run what ever plug is on sale!
 I change just "whenever" I get in the mood. They last a loooooooong time with that MSD firing them
 That MSD fires such a big/hot spark almost anything with an electrode will fire!
MSD recommends bigger gaps on the plugs too. Can't remember how much butt.....I think like 45 or 50.  Did you know AC plugs were made by the guy that invented Champion plugs. Same tech....just different name.
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

3/21/2014 7:44 PM  #7

Update on what I ended up using. Besides the MSD 6A box and Blaster II coil, I went with Autolite 25 plugs gapped to 50, MSD coil and plug wires ready made for 351 W. Plug wires are Super Conductor, spiral core, 8.5mm, black with multi-angle boots on spark plug end. This setup seems to be working very good so far.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.